Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising Defense?

Default Raising Defense?

Hi. I'm a cleric, and I have a problem. My defense sucks. From level 14 onward I didn't really get hit, and my defense is currently hovering around the 110 mark, and I think it's adversely effecting my ability not to become a greasy spot on the ground.

However, whenever I try to tank some random stuff to raise my defense, it only goes up a point or so and I end up just wasting a lot of time and effort, since I can never tank for very long and have to med between fights for so long.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best place to just wander about and get the bejesus beat out of me to raise my defense up to a respectable level?

P.S. here's my magelo: http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1132610

Default Re: Raising Defense?

I'll volunteer. Beating on random people is fun for everyone!
    Become a minion today! Fall to the cuteness of the kitties!
    So shonen it frikkin' hurts.
    "Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you, Some people find that thought disturbing, I find the reality thrilling."
    - Dr Richard Dawkins

Find a friend who can summon a blue con pet and let that beat on you for a few hours.
    Shaman is my favourite because of the dex / agi buffs and extra heals.

Not sure if there's any critters you could work with at your level that wouldn't beat you to a bloody pulp too fast to be usefull.
    EverQuest:
    Master Goggwin Shadowsmite 65th Halfling Cleric
    Apostle Zabatiz Shadowfist 70th Iksar Monk
    Both of Torvonnilous

Get either a SK or a necro to summon their pet for you in an arena and fight the pet. 1 it will bring up your defense 2 it will bring up your offense and 3 it will get you skill ups in what ever weapon you are using. Try doing bash also, you might have to heal the pet every once in a while but its worht the effort spent to raise your skills.

I agree with those above, but also realize it IS going to take a while. Defense is one of those skills that takes a while to raise, but its worth it in the long run.
    Faeryln V'Ruuktaal
    Former Regent Cleric of Innoruuk
    69th Circle of Hate
    (Retired)

Boy I sure know about Defence.Since i Finally Got my First Summon Hammer Spell im out there Fighting Meleeing with my friend Who is necro All my stat's Are up except defence its only at 48. At ur lvlv its Sure better then mine!..... But yeah i agree Necro pet or Sk pet witll do. I did that with my other cleric at 22 her defence is at 120 so its not to bad.
    ~Chevele Bringing Back You're Life~
    ~Cleric Of NorthStar Legion~

Grab any friend (non melee class) and go pay Griegs End a visit.
    Loads of relative weak hitting blue/light blue cons.

You would still get some xp there - not much - but beats getting whacked by Jobaner for 10 hours.

Group leader xp there is decent though.
    --------------------

DWARF!!

Thanks a lot for all the information! I wanted to do the GE thing, but I only knew one person that would go with me and that isn't enough to get laaxp, unfortunately. So, I sat in the arena and got beat on for about two hours and now I'm maxed defense! Yay!

Thanks a lot =)

You dont say what your level is...This is where people who power leveled up really fast get hurt. But the best time to work on defense is before you hit level 60. the mobs you have to fight past level 60 will kill you fast even if you have a good defense. All i used to do was use chain stuns on frogs since it gives massive aggro then let them hit you some. You want mobs to be hitting you untill you get the 5 defense points per level. Or you can get peoples pets to beat on you as well.
    Last edited by Jadzea; 07-25-2005 at 05:10 PM.

This is where people who power leveled up really fast get hurt.
    Or skilled clerics/tanks who makes sure the cleric rearely gets agro

My tip with Griegs was also meant for duo. The place is a decent source of tribute items and pp and still has blue mobs that doesn't hit that hard. Yes, it's relative and I'm pretty sure endgame clerics will find them mindnumbing and non-raiding clerics will not like getting hit for 2-300.
    --------------------

DWARF!!

Jadzea said in post #9 :
    You dont say what your level is...This is where people who power leveled up really fast get hurt.
    Well, I linked my magelo , I'm level 70. I wasn't powerleveled, and even if I would have been I don't think it would have made much difference. After you get to like paludal if you're in groups you aren't taking damage. The arena idea was absolutely astounding and it worked awesomely, much quicker than I thought it would have. If I would have had the people, though, I think GE might have been cool, too, since I would have gotten LAA and all that. Still, if anyone else wants to raise defense, a pet in the arena is really fast.

Got to love a battle cleric, =) beams, Those bad ass hammers that we pull from god knows where are awesome to boot... not to brag or anything (but will anyway) all fighting abilities are up to max, the painful part is them damn CAPS bastids from SOE we are priest damnit!! let us have melee power...which the caps IMO takes away from the fabled lore clerics, whom weilded hammers that could crush gods to thier deaths, now in EQ we barelly can woop a spider =((....

anyway, Get those up easliy just take you a younger cleric who wouldnt mind touching up on the chealing, and goto a light place, Yall duo there, You tank and younger cleric heal, GE is perfect.. the defence will come, ya being already 70 guess spending level points is out of the question, But to those who are still leveling REALLY consider those melee places when spending points, those ones that dont move very fast. People from day one of my starting cleric days said my melee days will end at suchnsuch days, well those days came, and then it was well in suchnsuch zone ya cant, well those suchnsuch zones came and if push came to shove ill be the man swinging the hammer. Stun to keep agro, hell even slam the person with a heal the mob is faceing even if he dont need heal thatll get ya agro back...FUN is the nature..
    Priest Coaidiel Ovhate
    75 Cleric of the Rathe

What level does the trap in ToFS stop giving you defense skill ups? I thought it was low to mid 60's and it hits for like 10 or so

Anywon Gotdirections
    67 cleric
    The Rathe

AV

I am lvl 54 and I have a horrible defense (Less then 30)

i was not powerleveled, but did my best to not get hit, and thus not raise my defense skill.
    It used to be lower then that until I decided to start working on my melee Skills some, and then I was getting smacked around on a regular basis.

I may take the advice of going to a zoe with a lvl 39 plus cleric who can heal while I swing, defense, offense, 1H Blunt and bash should all go up nicely.

What is a good place to do this at, that both of us would be getting XP? Geieg's End?, Velk's Lab?, PoJ?

Any suggestions will help this newbie cleric alot.

-Kimokeo
    68 High Elven Cleric
    < Guardian Fellowship >

My problem with eq is remembering where is a good zone for what lvl. But what I can tell you is at lvl 68 my defense/Melee skills are really good. What I do is when were doing a DoN or anything group-able, If I have a c6 normally I can Yaulp..Heal..and still have plenty of mana to go around while beating on mobs with that ubah hammer. (Not talking about MPG or anything like that) Other day we were in BoT and I was off tanking adds, was pretty funny when the Shammy asked why I was off tanking. But with those skills up you will be able to defend and protect others while still being able to heal. Plus its a lot of fun when u do come across undead and see how much u can smack those mobs down.
    ~Purified Vaclaw~~
    70 Cleric on the Povar Server
    http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1217633