Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All adware/spyware programmers need to be shot.

Default All adware/spyware programmers need to be shot.

Last night, I was simply looking for some lyrics when I stumbled on this website that royally screwed my machine. As soon as the site loaded, WHAM!!!! Started installing all sorts of crap and shut down all my browser windows. Then I started getting all sorts of DLL Errors.

Now I'm not a computer novice by any means... one look at my lab and you'll know that... (6 LAN'd machines, including one web-server, one multimedia machine for recording, etc.) I'm normally really good at getting rid of spy-ware, but this one has me stumped... I've run McAfee Virus scan, Ad-aware, Spybot, and HijackThis several times. McAfee, AAW and SB don't find anything else after their first two runs...

The result... I now have a machine with a huge ad for Spyware Removal tools on the desktop, I cannot right click anything on the desktop except the taskbar, and I cannot see my desktop background. I do a task-list and there's always a file running with a random 3 letter name, like Thu.exe or Sur.exe or Trz.exe. Each file uses 894 bytes of memory and even though I end-process them and delete them from my machine, every time I reboot, I get the same damn thing (just maybe different letters). I did a search for all 3-letter.exe (using ???.exe) file names on the machine and found about 15 of them w/ random letters, the first is always capitalized, and they are all 10k in size. I deleted these and reboot. Wham! They're back, different letters, but same thing... always first one capitalized, and 10k size.

The desktop issue is referring to a file called C:\ windows\desktop.html. If I delete all references to this file in the registry and the file itself, they come back after reboot. I've also tried deleting all references to the above-mentioned files, and still they come back. The other file that keeps appearing is popups.html and they show up in the \windows directory.

My hypothesis... There is some sort of parent program hiding in the background that I cannot see.

Anyone have any experiences in getting rid of these???

Default Re: All adware/spyware programmers need to be shot.

The only time i ran into "Parent" programs like this, i went to Hijack-this and they had the problem/solution there for me. Just running it may not be enough, go to the website and check it out.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

IF your shooting, I'm buying the bullets! Good luck with the removal, I had to stop useing internet explorer and move to netscaps when I couldent get rid of one of those =(

Hijack-this is great for that kind of thing often times you can find out what to remove from your registry to kill the program.

I also run Start Cop on all of my machines it will let you disable and remove stuff that runs on start up.
    Proud to be an EQCleric Admin!

Never heard of Start-Cop... I'll check it out... =)

I had a problem like that what your dealing with is a virus in the registry and some may say you can manually remove them from the registry BUT if you remove something vital your com could never work again. I went to Microsoft and downloaded the BETA version of "Microsoft Antispyware" works great haven't had a problem since.
    Quaos-
    /65th Archon/
    51 AA's
    Looking For Guild
    ~Rathe(Karana) Server~
    Magelo needs update desperately
    vvv
    http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1140095

I had problems with McAfee Virus scan... so i downloaded a free Virus scan called AVG. you can find it at download.com. Might wanna try it out.

Good luck this sounds really nasty. Parent program hiding in a boot sector somewhere more than likely. I have only had one of those that couldn't be detected or removed before, I ended up formatting the machine and starting over. Royal PITA but it took care of it. =(
    Faeryln V'Ruuktaal
    Former Regent Cleric of Innoruuk
    69th Circle of Hate
    (Retired)

Well... after two days of heartaches and headaches trying to get rid of the ad-ware, I did... but the damage had been done. My icons on my desktop were all screwed up and I still didn't have any ability to right-click. Couldn't bring up properties on anything even by going to File -> Properties. It just sat there.

So Saturday morning, I backed up my MP3's and re-formatted everything. Luckily I didn't lose much and what I did was easily re-installed. Copied my MP3's back to the new system and everything is back in order. Reinstalled the linux portion as well since there were some changes I wanted to make there. (One system, two hard drives... one with WinXP and one with Redhat Linux 9, dual booting w/ GRUB).

Anyway... too late to make a long story short, but everything is back in order and working fine now.

I'm very surprised you didn't find the parent program with HijackThis =/
    Mistress Quenthel Arman'Daethre
    Fire Knives Guild Leader
    57 Dark Elf Templar of Innorruk
    Bertoxxulous (Thoxule Paells)
    View my Magelo profile here!

I had a problem like this myself last year. I cant remember what I used to get rid of it but it took me 2 days. Whatever it was it started using more and more memory the longer it was installed. Also the longer it ran the more it messed up after awhile I couldnt click on anything or open/close any programs. Now I keep AdAware and Spysweeper on and run them often. I havent had any problems since that lil virus thingy. There are alot of site I used to go to that I dont anymore because of this spyware crap.

Fifteenofive Isnotadruid
    Level 63 High Priest
    Nameless Server

gahh i never saw this thread....

i am betting if ya ran MSconfig ya would of found the start up program for it :-(

then no need to format.

lol

NM just so i didn't look dumb, i scroll up to check date of OP, ummm HELLO!!! was from /3/05......9m months ago! ;-P

but still, MSConfig is an awesome tool.

it should be on your system already, just goto run, then search for msconfig

run it, goto startup, turn off all the crap that looks fishy ;-P

GL

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

Sprinting over the fields, swinging a mighty hammer, cometh Keyera! And she gives a bloodthirsty roar:

"I'm going to bludgeon you into the stuff of nightmares!"

Keyera said in post #12 :
    gahh i never saw this thread....

i am betting if ya ran MSconfig ya would of found the start up program for it :-(

then no need to format.

lol

NM just so i didn't look dumb, i scroll up to check date of OP, ummm HELLO!!! was from /3/05......9m months ago! ;-P

but still, MSConfig is an awesome tool.

it should be on your system already, just goto run, then search for msconfig

run it, goto startup, turn off all the crap that looks fishy ;-P

GL
    If you run Windows 2000 ( Best Windows evar! ) You need to download a copy from a trusted source.

To fix the hijacked desktop -- go into control panel, display, desktop, customize desktop, click the top tab that says Web, UNcheck warning homepage. No need to uninstall anything. I just dealt with the same issue and was stumped for about 2 days til I hit on the topic on the McAfee website.
    Megz Chasingcats~Retired
    Faerune, Elven Druid of Firiona Vie

Damn! You actually found a use for anything from McAfee? I'm impressed...
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Pomaikai Po`okela
    70 Exarch

Capitalization is the difference between
    "Helping your uncle Jack off a horse"
    and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"

Sig courtesy of Hijinx Studios