Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember When.... (EQ before PoP)

Default Remember When.... (EQ before PoP)

I thought this would be a fun thread for people to remenis about the good ole days of EQ. Anything you think back fondly of is welcome here... as long as it was BEFORE the Planes of Power days. Enjoy!

Remember when you actually had to run or take a boat to get anywhere?

Remember when Karnor's Castle was the most horrid place, but the best EXP?

Remember when the Argent Protector was an uber sword?

Remember when you werent uber till you had a full set of Sky Shrine armor?

Remember when guilds fought and raced eachother for The Vindicator spawn in Kael?

Remember when said guilds would wipe over and over to The Vindicator?

Remember when people lived in fear of spectre trains in Oasis of Marr?

Remember when you actually had to interact with someone if you wanted to buy something they were selling?

Remember when 1000 plat was a LOT of money?

ok i could go on forever... but i think i leave some content for others to cover ^_^

Default Re: Remember When.... (EQ before PoP)

ROTF do I ever !!

I also remember when clerics ress only came from a 39 cleric (0%) or 49 Cleric , noone wanted the 39 ress of course LOL

HOT heals didnt start until level 49 , I couldnt wait to ding to get my first HOT.

As Pheonia said EC tunnel baby !!!

Life wasnt complete until you had the purple cleric armor ( from hate)

Along side those specters the Sg made your blood run cold

Inv potion , whats that ? OoOoO I know something that shammys make?

Having to run to each dragon portal and get a frag to be able to port there ( CS, WL)

Epic battles that took 30 of your closest friends and then could still fail

I too could go on forever LOL

1. When BRONZE armor was the best people could hope for WELL into their 30s.

2. When lguk had waiting lists for ALL the camp spots.

3. When running from Qeynos to Freeport took ALOT of planing so you hit Kithikor at just the right time so you didn't have to wait for daytime(or risk the run along the walls) to avoid the undead.

4. When Wisp Island was THE best money maker around.
    4a. When running to North Karana to turn in the Greater Lightstones require constant vigil because griffons and lions and all sorts of badies pathed through the gypsy camp.

5. When killing Cuburt was the best exp not to mention the uber +3int earring you got from the quest.

6. Spending lots of time in East Commons killing orcs.

7. Idiot kiters in Oasis kiting spectres along the beach eventually ending by going over the dock and killing everyoen there.

8. On Povar the Faymart.

9. Armor from Runnyeye

10. OMG 40pp from ONE giant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Old Plane of Hate trains from 2nd floor because someone got a little to high on the wall and agro'd the stuff on 2nd floor.

12. Being lost in the canyons in Everfrost for 3 hours running like a scared girly because there was a red con skeleton on your tail(the undead bards)

13. Drowning in the lake in Halas because I was to short to get out near the docks.

14. The WOW WOW WOW Factor of looking up into the trees in GFay and seeing the tree houses.

15. What's a Loading Please Wait! griffon doing in East Commons.

16. Quilmane the 'flying' horse in South Karana.

17. Explaining to your guild why at level 60 you died in Lower Guk to a guildmate cause they got CHARMED by a LIGHT BLUE con. Which btw also charmed you. (two level 60s both being charmed in LGuk by the same mob back to back)

18. Sitting at the dock in West Freeport watching the sunrise waiting on the boat.

19. My first cyclops sighting.

20. Knowing the Giants have a blind spot. Unfortunantly it was at the bottom of their feet.

21. Zoning into Burning Woods and wow the trees are really burning!

much more I could go on about.

Oh yes... before PoP. Good times, gooood times. I had a level 17 Half Elf Warrior on Morrell-Thule. So sweet, some level 40's wanted my gear. Full suit of bronze (2pp per AC, anyone remember that?), had an Axe of the Iron Back, which was so leet, but even leeter was the Axe of Frost! OMG a 12 damage proc? Dude, this so helps on the dervs! /kill /kill /kill

Brazen Brass Kiliji, I think it was called, too. But I lost that one. Showing this guy my stuff in EC, but I didn't have room for the sword in my inventory, so it fell on the ground! (This was before they put it in your hand) The guy picked it up, ran, and went LD. I petitioned him, and I reported him. Nothing worked.

I also remember dropping all my stuff high up on a hill in EC, and then logging out, taking a while to make a guy, and then go pick it up. Uh oh, didn't work. Stuff went bye-bye. Petitioned to a GM and the gave it back, but I had to lie

Jeez, I wish that there was a server that was old-world, no new gear, no server transfers, all expansions before PoP, then gradually reintroduce them. Would be so much fun.

Anyone else ever wish that you forget everything you know about EQ, then start playing again? Would make it so much more fun.
    Cyolos Beyblade, Holy Hunter of Evil, and a Blessed Healer of Brell

Isnt it amazing what they have now compared to what we used to have? I still remember that I hated going into EFP for the lag issues. All the models had square heads.

Remember looking at your spell book and not being able to see anything until level 35 to med?

Remember zoning into Velks for the first time and seeing so many level 58+ there?

Remember getting crushed by Cazel in Oasis a bunch of times?

Remember guilds manually typing out what dropped off the dragons in NToV and someone ninja looting?

Remember the old crappy UI that you still wonder how we ever used it for so long?

Remember when Luclin first came out and The Nexus was the spot to hang out?

Heh, my memories of those days are cloudy, as I left the game for several years.

I remember the Wow factor at seeing some of the zones the first time.

* I got a touch of vertigo in Kelethin and decided a Wood Elf was not for me.
    * Sunset on the pier...what a sight.
    * Watching the ships zone in and teleport from point to point till they got close.
    * It took about 2 months before my poor little Erudite Necro could leave Odus and safely make it through Qeynos. The underwater tunnel entrance didn't work (don't know if it does today, for that matter), so through the city with spotty invis was all I had.
    * My first trip through Kithicor actually made me set myself to 'Walk' so I could enjoy the sights. I was quite jeleous of the Halflings for having such a nice zone to picnic in. This, of course, was long before it became a dark, deadly place.
    * My first trip to Befallen, I fell down the dang well. Good thing I had left all my gear in the bank (I knew I might die in unfortunate spots while scouting, so was scouting mostly nekkid. No corpse summoning, and no way would I find a big enough group to recover my body in some of the places I roamed)
    * I spent all my hoarded plat on a Runed Totem Staff. It was actually considered a rather Uber weapon at the time. Combined with my Uber Rode, (Flowing Black Robe. Damn was I Uber), I was able to terrorize and awe all who saw me. Ummm, yeah.

As many 'Wow' moments as the Original EQ had, I got extremely fed up with the constant nerfing, long, painful CRs, slow leveling, etc....so I decided to retire. I headed back to Odus one last time, as I had heard that finally my dark bretheren had managed to complete a new City all their own.

I managed to find my way in, wander around, and decide I really was not a hugee fan of the teleports there.

Exploring the brand new Newbie Yard, I wandered into the area that would one day lead to the Warrens and the Hole. I managed to die down there at the future entrance to the Hole. It was dark. Very, very dark. My Greater Light Stone might as well have been a glow beetle. Something attacked me, and I couldn't see it, nor how to escape. I don't remember what it was...probably a Grue.

Once I had managed to recover my body, I stood in the newbie yard watching all the young Necromancers and Shadowknights. I watched for a while, then chose.

/tell NewbieNecro I am retiring from this world, and want to pass on my belonging to a younger one who will follow this path to its end. Do you plan on continuing as a Necromancer?

NewbieNecro tells you 'I don't have much money, how much do you want?'

/tell NewbieNecro You don't understand. I am retiring from this world. I am giving YOU money. And quite a few items.

NewbieNecro tells you 'Cool!'

In my attempt to organize my gear to transfer, I managed ot destroy my Flowing Black Robe (Gack! ARGH!). Oh well, sorry NewbieNecro...but ya won't miss what ya never had...

He was overjoyed at the Runed Totem Staff, the armor I had managed to not destroy, and the princely sum of some 8 odd platinum peices.

I still wonder whatever happened to him.

"Oh merciful Tunare, even though I have personally rammed a sword into your oversized breast and looted your broken corpse about 3 times this month alone, please grant me the ability to heal faster! I offer you this piece of crap item I looted off an orc I was able to kill blindfolded. I hope you like it."
    Dobbanz on Lanys, discussing the new Tribute System

I remember my first character taking her out into the world and promptly dying. I lost her corpse my newbie robe, and spent the next day searching for it until someone pointed out it had rotted 30 min after I died.

May Tunare Bless Thee...

I remember people actually camping for, shouting about, and fighting over drops for newbie armor.

I remember groups for killing orcs in Nektulos.

I remember being scared to death by the drakes in Lavastorm.

I remember Najena, Sol A, and LOIO all being crowded -- also orc highway in Oasis.

...Mille

Venerable Milletoux Fleau'chevilles, 66 Gnome Cleric of Bertoxxulous
    Stuff I loot before I rez myself

AKA: Csimene Penombra, 64 Epic Human Mage of Innoruuk
    Stuff she loots when someone else rezzes her

Getting a port to North Karana from my home city in Gfay < I was a wood elf Druid when I started my EQ life in 2000> and then having to run from North Karana to Qeynos to be rebound. < was being taking under someones wing and showing the awesome experience < no pun intended hehe> that was BlackBurrow>

That run was about the most exciting thing I had done in EQ ever LOL and if you played back then you understand why

how about when a tank was uber at 3500hp. i think i have more than that unbuffed now.

30 people on a list in high keep. staying there 18 hours straight because you could never get back on the list.

getting a set of bronze... i think i was going to faint from excitement... until i realized i couldn't walk.

when people could loot your corpse... on a blue server...so you'd have to trust that a) they didn't loot it, just drag it or b) they would give you back your money if they did.

losing corpses in innothule trying to get from oggok to freeport. stress plural.
    losing corpses in blackburrow trying to get exp. stress plural.

waiting half an hour for the "perfect" group. warrior. cleric. enchanter. shaman. ranger. rogue.

killing muddites in the gorge of king xrobb...and wondering what happened to my monitor! it went all black!

switching from my 36 cleric to my level 4 necro... and wondering why my mana wouldn't go up...oh right...damn book!

lists to get into camps in sol b and pray for an RMB. learning how to cheal there... cuz i hit 39 and i was so uber considering everyone in my normal exp group was at least 42. oh, and camping the druid tunic in droga. way down there...was so scary but really good exp.

a screaming mace was the bomb for my cleric...someone actually GAVE one to me!
    having a PGT on my bard. wow! unfortunately they were lore now.

having 3 short ales, getting blind-drunk, turning on selos, then running along the railings in kelethin...and not falling!
    Anerak: 69 Cleric
    Lynnara Starspinner: 70 Bard
    Rainyn Menn: 59 Necro
    Lilmanya Lotzagutz: 58 Magi
    Shirokishi Al'Rhianan: 54 Paladin

How about when there were still Hell and Penalty levels? Losing a full yellow or more when dieing... actually took some effort to get leveled up

OMG I hated hell levels. I remember when I finally got to 60 I was like OMG yes! Then the suckers raised to 65

unfortunately they still have penalties for races. my halfling cleric friend makes 1.5 exp as my de cleric.
    my gnome mage is even higher as compared to the equivillient level iksar monk...have to keep PLing him singly just to catch him up...even when i take him past her, she stills flies by.
    yet my halfling druid and wood elf bard level *exactly* the same rate. it's creepy.

and some would still argue... 59 and 64 can be royal p.i.t.a.'s 64 being easier than 59 as there are more "sweet" spots. plus ldon changed it even more.
    Anerak: 69 Cleric
    Lynnara Starspinner: 70 Bard
    Rainyn Menn: 59 Necro
    Lilmanya Lotzagutz: 58 Magi
    Shirokishi Al'Rhianan: 54 Paladin

17. Explaining to your guild why at level 60 you died in Lower Guk to a guildmate cause they got CHARMED by a LIGHT BLUE con. Which btw also charmed you. (two level 60s both being charmed in LGuk by the same mob back to back)
    Myself and 2 of my friends, all 60 at the time, decided to go play in Mistmoore one night. Not sure which mob did it but both my friends got charmed. I ended up having to run to the zone being chased by a pally and ranger. Ah good times indeed.

I remember back in the day seeing someone with a surname and thinking that was the most uber thing in the game.