Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Remember When.... (EQ before PoP)

Default Re: Remember When.... (EQ before PoP)

good topic,

I'd have to chime in with a couple things as well

1. being in Awe of seeing your first "high level" 40 cleric

2. not knowing about Gamma for those nightblind races..

3. for the druids trying to kite before 35 ( book in the face still ) and having your headphones or volume cranked to hear the footsteps of Waqtchman Halv getting closer.. heart pouding trying to guess if he was in melee range..

4 when a Runed Totem Staff was indeed uber, but the Staff Of the Observers was Godly

5 when Ec tunnel was the true Bazaar, and for the spamm and lagg it took you 5 mins to run across zone...

6 the first time you ran face first into a Zombie, and almost panicking at lvl 5

7 seeing the bodies of all the orcs at Orc 1 and Orc 2 in EC

8. necro's and sk's camping the druid's ( WC ) and rangers ( EC )

9. spending 30 mins on a boat trying to get from Faydwer to Antonica

10 being amazed at seeing a guildmate ( on friends ) running from Feerot, to Everfrost and saying "OMG!!, i just killed my first Mammoth!!!"

11. the Farming of Mammoths for that nice solid 9-10pp to the vendors and having to leave becasue you wer 100-200 stone encumbered.

*shakes my head * i miss the old days, but in some ways i'm truly thankfull for the memories.. and the experiences.. Norrath it's been home for 5 yrs.. home sweet home

Doohickey said in post #25 :

I still haven't, actually. Guess I'll make a point to wander by tonight. I can imagine, based on the WTF comics, but I rarely spend any time in Neriak.
    The chicks in the Maiden's Fancy dance for 2 gold. Seriously.

Alot of my best friends in game are high elves or erudites, (ugh), so now whenever we're together at someone's house and we have time I always make sure to show them the Maiden's Fancy. They don't believe me that half naked dark elf chicks are really dancing down in the bar.

I told them so. ><

Oh and as for my fond memories...

Remember when you could drop money on the ground and then enchanters could use minor illusion and change into a coin? (I use to drop plat on the ground and the minor illusion into it and yell FREE PLAT AT KELETHIN BANK! and watch the newbies come running for it. You'd have a few dozen trying to pick me up hehe.)

Remember when you had long lists of people to get into the Frenzy camp in Lower Guk?

Remember when you saw your first ghoulbane and OMGWTFZITWASTHEOWNZOR??

Remember when you would all port up to go on a Hate raid and people would scream and yell for you to sit at the "elbow" part of the room so you didn't aggro the clerics through the walls?

Remember dying near "something with fires and a bunch of huts" in GF? (Me as an enchanter when I had ran from an orc and ended up smack dab at crushbone and getting pummeled by a bunch more. Took a few level 20s to tell me where my corpse was.)

Remember how people could loot everything on your corpse if you gave them consent? (Did this one time as a lowbie level 4 enchanter. She was a human enc and was bound in freeport but because of my first char (high elf cleric) I had only ever known Kelethin and Felwithe areas for exping, so I moved there. But I died near orc lift and wasn't going to make it back in time to loot my corpse because the boat ride was going to take forever. Gave someone consent and they were honest and gave me all my stuff back. )

Remember raiding Mistmoore for the Mistmoore battle drums and having that bard friend turn on their AE dmg song and train everything in the castle to you?

Remember getting your first piece of bronze armor and everyone saying you were damned uber?

Remember begging and pleading with someone to show you where your guildmaster was because they didn't set you in front of the GMs like they do now?

Fun fun P

or the classic's

turning in your note to you Guidlmaster and starting your first quest.. trying to hail the GM back.. and
    your Guildmaster proceeds to beat/slash/club/punch/kick/bash you to death in under 2 seconds..lol
    and still finding it hilarious 5 yrs later when you think back on it..

taking part in Lvl 1 Drunken gnomish -dwarvish nebie races from kelethin ( at the very top ) to Hallas.. having to avoid every mob on the way.. hehe laughing about watching them stumble and staggar by with mobs on their arse's and gaurds way behind them... and the bodies falling to the trains created by them :P

oh those were the days

Aeitah said in post #49 :
    or the classic's

turning in your note to you Guidlmaster and starting your first quest.. trying to hail the GM back.. and
    your Guildmaster proceeds to beat/slash/club/punch/kick/bash you to death in under 2 seconds..lol
    and still finding it hilarious 5 yrs later when you think back on it..

OMG! i did that sooooo many times it just wasnt funny until someone told me about remapping the keys!

Aeitah said in post #49 :
    taking part in Lvl 1 Drunken gnomish -dwarvish nebie races from kelethin ( at the very top ) to Hallas.. having to avoid every mob on the way.. hehe laughing about watching them stumble and staggar by with mobs on their arse's and gaurds way behind them... and the bodies falling to the trains created by them :P

oh those were the days

now that sounds like fun....

/em goes off to find someone to race with her!!

I remember when South Karana was the place to be. It was fun fighting over the "penthouse" at the Aviaks and racing to get to spot at the gnolls. Those where the best days.

Oh at the FM days. /sigh I remember fighting over the giant fort for the UBER forest loops.

Ohhhhh those were the days.

I remember the long camps in Cazic Thule, LGuk, and Naj.
    I remember when a manastone was the bad drop from the Evil Eyes.
    I remember 30 minute runs from Freeport to Qeynos if you didn't die.
    I remember 6 months after the game went live and people finally discovering what harmony did.
    I remember my warrior wandering around the Icewall throne room about a week after Velious came out and falling down to the dungeon through a bug and dying in like 10 seconds. (He was lvl 31 at the time)
    I remember waiting for 10 hours to finally find a necro who had the summon corpse spell who would help me. (Only spell at the time was the drop from SplitPaw)
    I remember SplitPaw before it got revamped.
    I remember the introduction of Crafted armor and my bronze covered warrior drooling.
    I remember the Langseax quest and getting giddy when I finally managed to finish it.
    I remember swimming from Butcherblock to Freeport
    I remember buying a minataur battleaxe for my whole bankroll 8pp and considering myself lucky.
    I remember too much, course I started my account in Aug of 99, having been playing on my roommates since May.
    Become a minion today! Fall to the cuteness of the kitties!
    So shonen it frikkin' hurts.
    "Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you, Some people find that thought disturbing, I find the reality thrilling."
    - Dr Richard Dawkins

LOL guess Maelarr was the last one to use this site on my computer. The above post is from Sawbonez.
    Become a minion today! Fall to the cuteness of the kitties!
    So shonen it frikkin' hurts.
    "Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you, Some people find that thought disturbing, I find the reality thrilling."
    - Dr Richard Dawkins

I'm kind of a youngin' but I remember a few things (on my chanter of course) so this is more noob stuff and figuring it out while PoP was still the top expansion.

Having a friend tell me about train city also known as Karnor's Castle.

Getting a train in KC as my enchanter and ALMOST locking it down.

Getting KFC (one of the Karana's) and KC (Karnor's Castle) confused ALL THE TIME.

Having to run into a zone to get my corpse (pre DoN Corpse summoning)

Wondering why my corpse kept disappearing in Plane of Nightmare when I tried to drag it across to the Hedge.

Walking around wondering what KEI was, then finding out that I could cast it. (well 25 levels later).

"Hey, what does Tepid Deeds do?" "Hey, did you slow this thing yet?"

"What? You mean they can attack me here? Tallon Zek sucks ASS"

Finding out what the hell "MBG GMB, MGB however you say it, yeah, that big group thing" is.

"WOOT, I got a proc." You say, "Whats a proc?"

The emotes in Plane of Hate.

"OOO, I see a named. Fright i think was his name, I'll pull him." LOADING...PLEASE WAIT

"That Tribunal member is DK blue to me, I bet I could solo him." LOADING...PLEASE WAIT

"OMG JUSTICE is like the BEST exp EVER!!!"

"OMG VALOR is like the BEST exp EVER!!!"

"OMG BOT is like the BEST exp EVER!!!"

4 weeks later

"Want a Justice group?" No thnx
    "Want a Valor group?" No thnx
    "Want a BOT group?" Umm...no

Trains in City of Mist and still going back there EVERY day to exp.

Level 15...MY PET RULES....Level 62...why do I even bother buying Tiny Daggars

Running across Kunark (in fact I still do that)

Getting attacked by Alchemist Granika, killing him, not knowing that he starts a ring event in another zone three zones away.

My first Chardok raid and letting an add run into the Queens room.

Losing my corpse in Lesser Faydark (YES LFay).

Nuking and mezzing myself.

Thinking my Siren Scale Robe was SOOO uber and having no idea where it came from or what dropped it.

Thats all my newb memories I can remember.

I dont have alot of "Do you remember <this> before they put <this> in?" type things because it was before my time. But that is the stuff I do remember.

*Leans back in his rocking chair"

Ahh yes. The good old days.

Remember when the Aviaks were great exp in SK? "Watch out for the Avocet..."

Remember camping the Spires after the Aviaks?

Remember when the cleric had to find a way back to rez the group? "Almost there guys....4 more zones. Wish me luck..."

Remember when Complete Heal was a Complete heal?

Remember when Complete Heal got reduced to 7500 hps? "OMG!!! Why does it need to be 7500 hps? What a waste..."

Remember the first time Complete Heal didn't fully heal your tank? "Woah...dude...what's your hps at???"

Remeber when Celestial Healing was near impossible to get and people were amazed when you were able to cast it on them?

Remember when LoIO was great experience?

Remeber when the Overthere was great experience?

Remember when the Dreadlands were great experience?

Remember how convienent the Velious spires were for getting around? "WOOT! I can port 4 places without help!!!"

Remember when you could only get to level 50?

Remember getting chain summoned by Naggy because you were bound a little too close in the prep room? "Ok people, rez up." "Umm...I think I got 8 corpses?"

Remember when a full banded, dual yak weilding war was about the most awesome thing you ever saw?

Remember getting that fourth and final pearl shard? "Dear god...the pain...has finally....ended..."

Remember how long the boat ride from BB to Freeport used to take, and falling off the boat in the middle of it?

Brings back memories.
    Last edited by jornam; 10-13-2005 at 04:24 PM.
    EQ
    Jornam
    75 Cleric

WoW
    Vostagg
    70 Warrior

I admit, I'm an old fart (nov 1999) and I remember when:
    People with surnames were rare and looked upon in awe. And you needed a GM to give it to you.
    We raided Unrest (yes, multiple groups).
    Bronze was rolled as need, and I was close to max weight limit from it.
    The loot-limit was 3pp or Fs item in Highpass Keep, oh the lines for the different camps.
    A warrior kicked butt with a 2h staff - the one from Lake of Ill Omen.
    Shiny Brass Idol was considered junk and sold to vendors.
    Crushbone supported several groups and D'Vinn could kill them all if he got the chance
    Killing the sisters in LFay for xp and running all the way back to GFay for the reward from the drunkard.
    Chessboard in Crushbone was permacamped.
    Executers Hood from Unrest was uber - well most loot from Lguk was.
    Paladins were swarming Upper guk for Ghoulbane.
    Prevamped CT. I got some nice xp there in my early 30ies.
    Kedge Keep was feared by most people but kickass xp if you brought a mage.
    Plane of Fear corpseruns could take a whole weekend
    Getting my Ethereal Mist BP and thinking I was looking really cool and uber. I was! /nod

There are many more, but I'll keep those for another day.
    --------------------

DWARF!!

One really cool lil weapon..... Wurmslayers!

You couldn't cast SOW as a ranger until you hit the uber level of 39?

You needed to cast endurance buffs on yourself while swimming?

Printing 3 pages of typed notes with all the key locs for the various zones, so you could navigate in Norrath?

Being scared to death of Dorn B'Dynn? Then going to back to kill him repetedly when you finally could?

Relocating via foot travel cross country from Freeport to Qeynos as a level 7 noob, and thinking, Oh my god this game is HUGE? And I'm so going to die!

Getting your first magic weapon so you could finally kill WISPS?

Taking the boat from FV to BB, and accidently getting off on the little barge too early, ending up on a desolate island in the middle of TD wondering, OMG what do I do now?

Fishing was all the rage waiting for the boats to arrive?

The perma camps in OOT for the drop for J-Boots?

A Robe of the Oracle was the pinacle of caster attire?

Cazic-Thule was THE place to level in your high 20s and low 30s?

Ghoulsbane was tradeable?

The 20 Wis Totem drop from the named Goblin in Dragnor's Cauldron was perma camped?

People used to choose armor based on whether it would match as much or more than its stats?

Having to hunt for a nice caster upon arrival at a new city so you could get a bind?

Learning the hard way that binding yourself at a named camp isn't the smartest idea? (Read: Death Loop)

Six hour corpse retrievals when you wiped in Fear?

Finally being able to see your group while medding after 34 levels of staring at that %$$ Book.

/hijack on

Did a mm the other day. Is the one in E Commons. Retro & funny, if you haven't already give it a shot.

/hijack off
    Megz Chasingcats~Retired
    Faerune, Elven Druid of Firiona Vie

Haha Ykina, I hear ye.

But.....
    Six hour corpse retrievals when you wiped in Fear?
    Just six? :P
    What were you, L50 already??
    --------------------

DWARF!!