Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember When.... (EQ before PoP)

Default Re: Remember When.... (EQ before PoP)

I also remember when clerics ress only came from a 39 cleric (0%) or 49 Cleric , noone wanted the 39 ress of course LOL
    We got one at 29 that was no xp, one at 39 that was 50% xp, and one at 49 that was 90% xp an just uber.

I remember the lake of Ill omen and thinking it was the greatest place to level in the whole wide world.

I remember breaking up trains at the giant fort in FM with my ubergroup of cleric, necro, and chanter.

I remember when thulian claws weren't lore.

I remember camping aviaks in lake rathe.

I remember buying a dwarven ringmail tunic for 13pp at level 7. I *STILL* have that tunic in my bank.

I remember camping derv5 and using a screaming mace I'd picked up for the princely sum of 15plat. I *STILL* have that mace somewhere.

I remember the first time I saw Vox.

I remember the first time Vox killed me.

I remember when hate didn't have a required level to enter.

I remember being in greater fay when a wizard wearing a SMR crashed the zone. (people were running to look)

I remember missing my dropoff point on the boat and having to make the entire trip again.

I remember the trains in unrest. I've killed everything up to Quarm and NOTHING has scared me more than seeing a 3 hag train backed up with some skeletal monks, a werebat, and a named.

The first week I began playing it took a week to learn about Gamma. My iksar monk couldn't see well enough to follow someone who was trying to help. He must have thought I was nuts. Finally learned to turn Gamma to full.

But also the first week, within 30 seconds of my Erudite cleric being born on the Erudin docks, having a kind stranger give me 4 pp to buy my level 1 spells, ALL of them.

I never forgot that Random Act of Kindness, and neither have my cleric main or the other 15 toons.
    I still frequently help noobs and have them promise they will do the same.
    And in doing so have met some wonderful people.
    My favorites include a family of mom, dad and 3 sons who played on Sol Ro together. Imagine their computer room with 5 PCs all going at once.

Cinnamonn
    Solusek Ro server
    The Rathe server

anerak said in post #14 :
    unfortunately they still have penalties for races. my halfling cleric friend makes 1.5 exp as my de cleric.
    my gnome mage is even higher as compared to the equivillient level iksar monk...have to keep PLing him singly just to catch him up...even when i take him past her, she stills flies by.
    yet my halfling druid and wood elf bard level *exactly* the same rate. it's creepy.

and some would still argue... 59 and 64 can be royal p.i.t.a.'s 64 being easier than 59 as there are more "sweet" spots. plus ldon changed it even more.
    And I thought it was just me when my warrior took like 2 months to get out of 59.

When Mistmoore and Unrest used to be THE place to raid in your mid 30's and 40's.

When banded armor was a status symbol.

When Testament of Vanear was THE book for a priest class.

When epics seemed like distant unrealizable dreams.

When seeing someone with their epic was uber.

When Sol A, Befallen, and Najena were THE best dungeons.

I, too, could go on forever...

Chakfor said in post #16 :

I remember the first time I saw Vox.

I remember the first time Vox killed me.
    Heh, oh yeah. I can remember seeing the GM announcement when the first Dragon was killed. I forget what server it was on (hell, I can't remember what server I was on).

I remember the awe of hearing that someone had actually managed to KILL a DRAGON, though!

I remember when Ice Comet was considered to effectively be EQ's version of Fat Man and Little Boy, and the immense pain Wizards went through to try to get the dang thing.

Doohickey said in post #20 :

I remember when Ice Comet was considered to effectively be EQ's version of Fat Man and Little Boy, and the immense pain Wizards went through to try to get the dang thing.
    For those of you who don't know, Fat Man and Little Boy were the nukes that were dropped on Japan in WWII. =)

The first time you got blinded by a lightcrawler in DSP?

Seeing the vast expanse of Marus Seru (miles and miles of nothing but rock, sand, and monsters) for the first time?

The Kunark express (how you could start a level one and get him to 50 in no time just using four Kunark zones)? (Extra points if you can remember the 4)

The first epic you ever saw (mine was a druid scimitar)?

The first time you found the downstairs bar at the Maiden's Fancy in Neriak?
    I'm going to blow them off the face of Norrath with the fury of Brell's own thunder.

I remeber my 2nd day of playing my SK like it was yesterday. I strolled up to the Necro GL to see what hed say... forgot to hit ENTER before hand and hitting the A key.... being promptly feared.. and totally OWNED! Man those were the days.

/em sighs

I remember the first time it rained when I first got the game.. I just started up like 5 mins earlier and all the sudden it started raining and I was like "WHOAA!" then some guy ran by and cast a cool looking spell on me, and ran away.. hehe..

FelmerG said in post #22 :
    The first time you found the downstairs bar at the Maiden's Fancy in Neriak?
    I still haven't, actually. Guess I'll make a point to wander by tonight. I can imagine, based on the WTF comics, but I rarely spend any time in Neriak.

Running to the lake of Ill omen from the FV dock and hoping none of those spiders saw you aslong the way.

Dying by said spiders

The Giant fort in FM was overcamped and the Forest Loop was the most wanted item in the fort.

My first character was an erudite mage. I don't know if it was by design as a joke or a mistake. When i figured out how to get out of the city i headed into the dark tunnel with nothing but a candle in my hand.

Now to send a blind erudite into a dark tunnel to find his way out is just mean. There is a crystal out there, just before the railing, that you need to step on to port you down to the lower level so you can zone out into Tox. I not only missed that crystal but I never saw it.

I walked for a while then everything became quite dark...my screen was pitch black. I started turning to see if I could see a wall or something. I could not even see the way back. So I stopped turning and took a step. One step to my death. It seems that I was parked on railing somewhere near the crystal but was too blind to see that if i step in one direction I would be safe and the other was a considerable fall.

I died and it sent me to my bind point on the platform in tox. I was really upset because my guild leader had just given me a very nice blue robe to wear. I knew that without my candle I would never find by body to get it back and I did not have another note to give the guild leader so I could get another robe. So I camped and deleted my mage.

I then recreated him and tried again. The next time I got lucky and actually made it outside to try hunting. Tox was different then. It was common to see 10-20 people out there hunting. We would form up groups and head to the Kerran village. When the pridesman would show up we would all scatter and run for the zone. What a fun time.

Firepot Room = Combine Teleportation Room in TD.

Some people never changed their bindpoints after they nerfed it.

My first character was a wizard, and I remember the power of being able to teleport. I remember ding'ing to level 20, and testing out my gate spells. I gated to North Karana and was promptly killed by a guard, losing my level. I thought i'd never get my corpse back! I solo'ed nekkid to re-ding, then tried again. This time I got lucky and the guard wasn't pathing through.

I remember doing the same thing in GFay the next day. So elated to see Kelethin for the first time, I invis'ed up and took the platform up to town to wander around. Then I accidentally right-clicked on a merchant, dropped invis, and got pounced by guards.

and I try to forget the first time I saw "Cazic Gate" and said to myself, "i wonder where THIS goes!"
    /cringe

In later days, prior to PoP, though, I took much pleasure in the porting business. It's how I made my plat, and I was so distraught when PoP came out that I retired my wizard and made a cleric...

lol, go figure...

I remember Times where I would wait for 15 min to get to the Moon,
    I remember Run to the oasis And leveling on orc highway as we called it.
    I remember Druids Where very well off do to they Ported you where you wanted.
    I remember Hearing Gaint Near Dock and Have fear hit my little cleric heart.
    I remember turning 20 for the frist time with my frist char. and beening able to put a last name on her.
    i remember running From NQ to Freeport...worried I would get Killed in Wk or Nk
    to this Day I run On the wall In the Woods before I get to WC..Old habits die hard.
    I remember when I Hear in Ec Traders calling out there deals....
    I miss these Days...I miss Friends I have made and that they no longer play..
    But i'm glad for everything i have now..and glad theres new things to do
    Sara (Lady Geneini Lovejoy) Toler