Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do IRL?

Default Re: What do you do IRL?

I'm director of a small property company in Britain.
    Retired

Sorta already answered in the Armed Forces poll, but will re-state here for completeness.

I'm enlisted in the US Air Force; my career field is Aircraft Electrical and Environmental Systems Craftsman. It's a fancy title that says I troubleshoot, repair and maintain the electrical generation and distribution systems, as well as the cabin pressurization, equipment cooling, personnel cooling, and various sundry other systems.

Also a husband, and hoping to be a poppa sometime next year.
    ...and they, being naughty in thine eyes, shall snuff it...

I am a Hospital Corpsman for the Navy. In about two months' time I'll be rotating back to the States for duty with MAG 39 (in other words, I'll be the medic for that group of Marines). I hope to finish getting my Paramedic's certification there, and then after that on to Respiratory Therapy for the Navy.

Until last June when I was laid off from my job, I was a Support Engineer for a national computer distributor. My wife was out of work at the time from a layoff in December '02 at a local medical manufacturing company. Both now being unemployed we started looking out of state, she found one first in Arizona so as old Jed did, "we packed up the family" and moved to West Valley.

I am now a stay-at-home dad to my two sons 5 & 8 as well as night and weekend support for a data recovery company. Hours aren't the best, but I work from my cellphone at the house and have time for my sons during the day, so that's the most important part.

I'm also getting a side business up and running selling collectibles and home decor items via Mail Order and the Net.

Xabu's Currently Boycotted Members of "The Establishment": Avondale Dodge, AQUACO, Best Buy, Danon Waters, Happy Sumo, Sparkletts

Hey Man! Here's my righteous gear! Hey is that RUST?!?!

I am the CEO of a large Canadian Credit Union. I have degrees in acounting (equivalent to your CPA), business and Credit Union managment. Also am a grand parent.

Very interesting group! I must admit, not as many computer geeks as I might have expected!!
    Archon
    The Nameless Server
    (Retired)

I'm an Insurance Agent for Armed Forces Insurance in Leavenworth, Ks.

Prior to this, I was an A+/MCP certified Computer Technician working for Sprint until they laid me off last July... Sprint is de debil...

Assistant Controller and f/t IT Student majoring in Computer Networking Systems
    Stinkkie LilFluzie - Halfling Cleric of Cazic-Thule Member of Praxium

I'm a speech - language pathologist at a high school for the Deaf.
    I have a master's degree is in Communicative Disorders.
    Full fathom five thy father lies
    Of his bones are coral made...

Aspenelder ~ 66 Cleric of Prexus
    Officer of Dark Tranquility

Prior to this, I was an A+/MCP certified Computer Technician working for Sprint until they laid me off last July... Sprint is de debil...
    /agree

They laid me off (as well as almost everyone in my group) back in late 2002. I really loved my job there too. The people were great.

IT professional (computer geek) - Configuration Management Analyst for a software testing firm. One thing I'm trying to do is start my writing career on the side by working on 2 different novels, and yes sometimes it gets hard to keep them straight.
    I'm going to blow them off the face of Norrath with the fury of Brell's own thunder.

I had been going to school for first comp sci, and then later switched to math, until Spring of 02. I've been in and out of temp jobs and occasional partial credit loads since then, mostly doing data entry. As I write this, I'm sitting in a makeshift cubicle in a poorly-ventilated room pretending to mindlessly type the same exact thing for 8 hours straight, and thinking about how and when I'm going to go back to school and finish.
    Only the exceptions can be exceptional.

Friends don't let friends do tradeskills. (tm)

I have a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, a minor in Spanish, and a teaching credential in Special Education from the state of California. Since I'm back in the Midwest, my credential doesn't mean squat, but I'm teaching (although official title is "Teaching Assistant") at an Adult Education Program. Part of this job allows me to teach in the county jail 3 times a week. Fun stuff!

Oh yeah, I also bartend on Saturday nights. My motto: Make people smart during the week, make them stupid during the weekend. That's job security, folks!
    Last edited by erikthered; 02-27-2004 at 11:51 AM.
    Eriktwo- L31 dwarf cleric
    Erikuts- L53 barbarian shaman
    Friends of the Realms: www.forguild.org

For years I was a EA for the president of a large marketing company. My degree is in accounting/business managment . My hubbie and I opened up our own marketing firm a few years back and Just last year I left my high stress , long commute , portable life to join him in our business. I sure dont miss the 90 minute commute thru bumper to bumper traffic to get to work and home each day . I dont miss having to pull over on the highway as a call from my assistant has me digging for my lap top while trying to get home. I was on my bosses beck and call for 7 years and finally I work from 9 to 5 , no staying late as someone didnt get something done that day LOL and I live 20 minutes from my office !!!!! no more being in an office from sun up to sun down and only getting to see the sun thru my window on the 30th floor.

hehe you asked what we do and I gave you my life story LOL , it still just feels sooooooooo good to have a job and a life again LOL. I am also a mommy to a 15 year old guy who thinks he is 20 so I can totally relate to Scura. My change in job has been wonderfull where my son is concerned , we talk so much now and when I am not home before he heads out for the evening he tells me he misses our chat time but, still wont stay home 5 minutes longer to have that chat with me if he is on his way out the door when I get home LOL.

TSgt in the Air Force. I'm the Senior Munitions Controller. I build bombs for a living. I love my job.

I work in Accounting for the local government. In the Budget and Special Projects Unit. Basically, Goooovahnah Schwartzenneeeeeegah tells us we are short a few millions dollars this coming fiscal year and we gotta figure out how to cut expenses.. and positions =( Gah, I hate lay-offs!

I also run my own little event planning business that I had to stop working on since I moved last year. Hoping to start working on that again this year since I had to renew all my licenses last week!

Edit: Serlena.. my cousin works somewhere out in New Mexico designing triggers for nuclear bombs. I forgot what company he works for but it's a big well-known company. Maybe you can refresh my mind?
    Last edited by Redheeler; 02-27-2004 at 03:44 PM.
    75th Season High Priestess