Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing Damage Shields

Default Removing Damage Shields

In LDoN adventures you will find that some mobs have damage shields on them. A fast easy way to take care of this is to cast Mark of Kings line of spells on the mob. Only the MoK line REMOVES the DS. The Mark of Retrubution line does NOT remove them. I am posting this to try clear up some of the misconceptions about the two lines of spells.

MoK (line of spells) - Removes damage shield when cast on a mob, as well as heals a small amount everytime the mob hits a player.

MoR (line of spells) - Does Not remove damage shield. instead it is a long range usefull pulling tool, it puts a reverse damage shield on the mob, everytime the mob hits a player, the mob will take damage. also very handy for cleric soloing, i use it and a potion to have a total of 77 point hit on the mob everytime i get hit, can buy the 10 dose potions in bazaar.

i hope this helps ;-)
    Last edited by Keyera; 11-06-2003 at 08:28 PM.

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

Sprinting over the fields, swinging a mighty hammer, cometh Keyera! And she gives a bloodthirsty roar:

"I'm going to bludgeon you into the stuff of nightmares!"

Default Re: Removing Damage Shields

What's often confusing about these lines is that both CAN be referred to as a sort of "reverse damage shield", but in very different ways. Specifically, the lines are:

The MoK line - Healing Shields
    Mark of Karn (lvl 56)
    Mark of Kings (level 64)

The MoR line - Reverse Damage Shield
    Mark of Retribution (level 54)
    Mark of the Righteous (level 65)

Although they do have decent range, the aspect of the MoR line which makes it ideal for pulling is that it generates only a very small amount of hate/aggro when cast on a mob. This makes it easy for the tank to peel the mob off of you once you get back to camp (a simple arrow will often do the trick)

Keyera said in post #1 :
    MoK (line of spells) - Removes damage shield when casted on a mob, as well as heals a small amount everytime the mob hits a player.
    When cast (not casted) on a mob, it heals a player that hits the mob, not when the mob hits a players. This makes it pretty popular for fast hitting classes like monks.

But of course, the main reason to cast it is to remove the detrimental DS on the mob and replace it with a beneficial one.

*Only the MoK line REMOVES the DS.*

I thought the MoK line only covered up the Damage Shield? ... ie: if it wears off, the melee hitting the mob will again be taking damage from the mob's DS. Just asking for clarification, infact I think i will test it out next time I am online and not raiding
    Yes I know MoK line stops the melee from taking damage once MoK lands, just now wondering if it removes that DS or just covers it for a time being.

MoK is in the same line of spells as the mage DS. It overwrites it. The damage shield doesn't come back unless the mob recasts it, even on mobs with an innate DS like a fire elemental.
    MoK does not to my knowledge overwrite druid DS. They coincide, even though druid DS won't coexist with mage DS. Most mobs have a fire-based damage shield though.

MoR, while it does not overwrite DS, is usually a more desirable pull spell because under other conditions, it is the more useful spell of the two. MoK works fine for pulling too though.
    Only the exceptions can be exceptional.

Friends don't let friends do tradeskills. (tm)

Ok so that makes sense then! I was sure I had fought mobs where MoK wore off and the melee began to take dmg per swing again. Thanks for clearing that up

I started using Mark of Kings more, seems to help out alot. Glad I have it.

Cool! did not know that about mark of karn...now when some one yells at me, "This things got a DS!" Ill know what to do...load up MoK and give a little healing per hit instead of taking more damage when we hit...thanks for the tip!
    Venerable Hoalim Singloy
    65 Archon of Brell Serilis
    Bristlebane Server
    Guild Leader of the Antonican Brotherhood

Just a note for the 50's crowd....the Thurgadin Cleric Quest Breastplate (of Forbidden Rites) has a right-clicky Mark of karn effect....casts kinda slowly, but saves mana of course.

Thanks so much for this tip...Mark of Karns and Mark of Kings both work well at removing DS...also another little tip that stupid me didnt know...TASH is poison based so you can cure it...duh finally figured this out and im 64th level...slow learner!
    Venerable Hoalim Singloy
    65 Archon of Brell Serilis
    Bristlebane Server
    Guild Leader of the Antonican Brotherhood

I also have had Damage shields return the instant MoK wears off. Might have been a one time occourance, but it has happened.. so I am not sure.

There are a couple odd PoP mobs that reset their buff status completely sometimes and force you to totally re-debuff them, etc. They're mostly only in time, but you will need to redo the debuffs on these, and that includes MoK. (This is mostly only in Plane of Time though.)
    Only the exceptions can be exceptional.

Friends don't let friends do tradeskills. (tm)

I use this spell a constantly, when raiding Sol Ro or PoFire. This is the second best pulling spell we have, second only to MoR.

Woot I was wondering what the diffrence was between the 2 and now I know thank you.
    So I will use MOK much more often now.

After reading this thread, I started casting Mark of Karn to see how it works. However I did not manage to get the correct filter, so it would display for how much my tanks get healed.

Does anyone know for how much it actually heals, and also what message you get when MoK wears off?
    Suseanne Sto Helit
    cleric 61
    proud member of the guild Les Irreductibles on the E Marr server

Pain is the best teacher.