Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removing Damage Shields

Default Re: Removing Damage Shields

What about casting cancel magic on the mobs, or a spell in that line. I have done it a few times and seemed to work. It doesn't have the added benift of the others but it did remove the damage shield on the mob.

From looking at Lucy I believe both spell in the line Mark of Kings(64), Mark of Karn(56) heal 6hp for each strike your friends do to the mob.

As the added healing is not usually that significant unless the battle is going to run for a few minutes, I usually only cast this as described above; a debuf for damage shields on mobs. MoKings uses less mana, is a faster cast, lasts 30 seconds longer and will be resisted a bit less.

I just hate hearing my party all grunting and yelping when they are beating on a DS so I have it as part of my set for LDoNs mostly.

Cancel magic will also cancel tashes, some dots and slows I believe. Not a good thing to case for just a damage shield debuf unless you are soloing. *shrug* All I know is I got yelled at by the chanter when I tried to cancel magic the damage shields.

Learn something new each day.

So in a lowbie group, who exactly *is* supposed to get rid of those damage shields? They kill my poor rogue, but unless someone volunteers, I have no idea who to ask to cancel'em... Hate to heap more on someone's plate than they deserve, but.... ouch!
    - Commence -
    52 Cleric of Tunare
    Commence@eqcleric.com

Nerdicus said in post #17 :
    From looking at Lucy I believe both spell in the line Mark of Kings(64), Mark of Karn(56) heal 6hp for each strike your friends do to the mob.
    Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Mark of Karn heal 6pt per hit and Mark of Kings heal 9pts? I am pretty sure that Kings heals more than Karn but will bow to the decisions of the more knowledgable members of this site.
    Exarch Gnarm Silverhand
    Archon of Brell Serilis
    65th Season
    Co-Leader Draconis Animus

Mordis Smashemjoo
    SMASH SMASH SMASH!!! (Berserker)
    45th Season

Commence said in post #19 :
    So in a lowbie group, who exactly *is* supposed to get rid of those damage shields? They kill my poor rogue, but unless someone volunteers, I have no idea who to ask to cancel'em... Hate to heap more on someone's plate than they deserve, but.... ouch!
    Your best bet is to have your chanter (if you have one) dispell on the pull before any debuffs are cast on it. If you don't have a chanter, any other caster can do it for you.

As for the healing ability of Mark of Karn/King, they both heal 6 points per hit.

Exarch Yaldari

I never thought of the tashes and DoT's. Good thing I have only used it when I was the ONLY caster hehe. Just learned something new

Karn is 6 and Kings is 9. I know this for a fact as I have cast both during my 2-boxing career with my ranger. Karn healed 6 points per hit, and Kings 9. this was attested to by the ranger not tanking but getting the DS damage until I could hit with Karn/Kings. Watching her HP heal per hit for each, 6 per hit for Karn, 9 per hit for Kings.
    Ariowen Dor'Drondel - Ranger
    Nicoletta Dor'Drondel - Cleric
    Avenora Dor'Drondel - Bard
    Sabanil Winddancer - Shaman

Alarius
    Cazic Thule
    Ari's Stuff
    Nic's stuff
    Ave's stuff

According to Lucy, Mark of Kings was changed on 5-14 11:16.

Resistadj went from 0 to -30
    Casting time went from 3.0 sec to 2.0 sec
    Duration time went from 3.5 min to 4.0 min
    Mana cost went from 170 to 75.
    Changed Slot 1 from 'Decrease Damage Shield by 9' to 'Decrease Damage Shield by 6'

So the spell USED to have a 9 pt but got changed to 6pt when they reduced the mana cost.
    -Nerdicus

Another thing to note here is there are some mobs with an innate DS that does more damage MoK will offset so your tanks will still take damage, but this will reduce the amount of damage they take. I have encountered these in Saryrn's tower.

I don't understand why they would reduce MoK -- the 9 points is completely insubstantial at that level, notwithstanding that the effect is also based on weapon delay.
    Only the exceptions can be exceptional.

Friends don't let friends do tradeskills. (tm)

You’re both wrong. Neither MoKarn nor MoKings heal 6 or 9 hp per hit.

Back when MoKarn was first introduced it did heal 6 hp/hit. But because at the time this was too powerful (particularly for dual wielders) a code fix was put in so that the amount healed varied with the delay of the weapon being used to hit the mob. Something like 1hp healed for every 5 delay of the weapon.

The 6hp healed per hit shown on lucy then had no impact because different code was being used for the spell. When MoKings was introduced with its 9hp/hit, again this had no impact because it was using the same code as for MoKings and ignoring the value shown in lucy. Eventually the MoKings spell was updated and the lucy value shown was adjusted back to 6hp/hit to show that it heals the same as MoKarn.

As for removing damage shields, MoKings and MoKarn will overwrite and remove any damage shield which shows up as a slot 1 damage shield on lucy. This includes a lot of the most common damage shields such as the mage damage shield and the druid damage shield. It wont remove other DS’s which take up other slots in lucy such as thorncoat (a minor druid DS combined with an AC buff). Another notable exception is the beasts in PoTorment which have a DS which isn’t overwritten by MoK.
    Amonra the Earth Keeper
    65 Cleric
    Prexus

A word of caution also ... make sure none of your group mates are dispelling the DS before you cast anything on the mob.

On my ranger, I've been pulling DS-dispell duty with the dispell magic line up of spells as that removes DS as well as any other buffs. Works great on those beasts in PoTorment too ....
    Clariaya
    Cleric of Brell, Terris-Thule

Your best bet is to have your chanter (if you have one) dispell on the pull before any debuffs are cast on it. If you don't have a chanter, any other caster can do it for you.
    Splitting hairs and really off topic, however the only debuffs I can think of having to wait until dispells are done is the 'weaken' line as well as malo/a. Beyond that tash and slows are safe.

I've heard that a patch fixed this, is that correct? Has anyone heard anything?
    And, it may have already been meantion, but i missed it the two lines of DS's do stack. I tested that out on my fiance's ranger. Its really great for duels and stuff... great fun