Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: The Early days! *rave*

Default Re: The Early days! *rave*

okay, now all of these experiences happened on my enchanter Omad, since I've had him for two years, and my cleric for only 1 so far, but still I dont want you old schoolers to laugh at me:

I remember.....

Being twinked by my 65 (at the time) ranger friend. He gave me a Siren Scale Robe and some other usless junk that I wouldn't even look twice at right now. (You can see all my old gear on my magelo under 'Back in the Day' alt profile)

Getting power leveled (while learning the game) on Omad and wanting to attack the a sand giant in North Ro at level 6. My friend had to scream at me "NO!!!!!". Stick to the spiders and the other multi-legged things.

Not wanting to go ANYWHERE to group without my ranger friend because I was a scared little wussy boy.

Getting griefed trying to get to an LDoN back on Tallon Zek. This crazy ***** wouldnt let me pass until she killed me.

The day I turned 46 on Omad, the first thing I did was go into Plane of Tranquility and just look around. I realized that all of the zone-ins for every single plane was viewable at 46, where I had originally thought that they were hidden until you were flagged.

My first Justice Trial. Man that was crazy. I thought those mobs would just keep coming. But, I persevered through it, and we won. Valor here I come.

My first MPG group. Those mobs run so fast, it's not even funny, and getting hit? no thanks, I dont like getting 1 rounded.

My frist RSS group. These mobs hit harder than the ones in MPG...this is crazy!!! Hey, is that a glowing rune?

Getting my spell book organized perfectly. I loved it, I had it all laid out perfectly. All in order of importance and level. It was beautiful.

------------ Okay, now time for Kaellon's good memories.

I remember....

Hitting 51 and starting my 1.0. Running all the way to the oasis in Timm Deep and thinking "GOD, they need to make this closer to a zone in."

Camping Lord Begurgle and thinking..."Okay, in 2 mins, I'm gone. This is a load of crap.", and then he spawns. Kill him and get my crown and off I go to Nagy's Lair.

Seeing that stupid Zordak Merchant spawn. I bought 5 statcks of Imbue Fire Opal, just because I never EVER wanted to wait for him again. I refused to, so I bought everything I ever thought I'd need off of him that day.

Being in the hospital, talking with my mom, who was talking to my ranger friend on her cell phone. She put the phone to my ear (brain surgery has a way or limiting motor skills) and he told me that Kaellon, who was 62 when I entered the hospital, had a Plane of Time gimp key and was level 67. That was the first time I had smiled in 4 weeks.

Leaving the hospital, logging into EQ, and /gu "Heyas guys. This is the REAL Omad." So many tells after that, they just couldn't believe it.

Finishing Omad's 1.0, and only spending 45 mins in Hate to get the Essence of a Vampire, the rearest item in a chanter 1.0.

Finishing Kaellon's 1.0. Finding the shards in 1 day. I was completely shocked. Every cleric I talked to said that it took them weeks to get that part done. Go back to Omat Vastsea to give him Zordak's Heart, seeing Jhassad Oceanson spawn, then seeing that stupid water elemental taking forever and a day to finally spawn back next to Jhassad Oceanson, handing in the newest bane of my existance, and getting my 1.0, and never taking the Curate title off.

------------ Okay, now a few geneeral ones

Finally seeing the Plane of Time for the first time. God those mobs hit so fast and hard. Now they're pretty much wusses, but back then? OMG, big time hitters.

Killing Tallon Zek that last time and seeing a Serpent of Vindication drop. None of the other enchanters wanted it, which shocked the hell out of me, so I walked over and took my nice 10dkp prize and have never taken it out of my inventory yet.

(last but not least) Finishing for the first time, as a guild, the MPG Fear Raid trial. Seeing that 1/6th of the pizza slice on my cursor was better than any birthday, christmas, just cause gift I could ever ask for.

Okay, I'm running out of dings.
    Last edited by Kaellon; 08-14-2006 at 03:31 AM.

I remember when I discovered my amulet that made booze..I was reading on Alla one day trying to find items for my 29-30'ish cleric. I saw this item and said "It will be mine...oh yes....it will be mine." And btw I have all the spare parts in the bank should I wish to make another if mine is lost ,destroyed,etc..Also going across From Freeport to Qeynos took an hour and half unSoWed.

my first boat ride from bb to freeport is my fav memory. in 1999 that gave an incredible sense of being in the game. the boat swayed and rocked and no idea how long the journey would be to unseen lands.

The boats were awesome!

Old board elder here that hasn't been around in years, really. I have been playing WoW, although I kinda swore off it a couple months ago. Every now and then, I think back to "the early days" of EQ in wonder, though. So many classic memories...

My very first experience in-game was as a human druid in Surefall Glade who didn't know how to swim and fell into the pond there. I veerrrryyy slowly sank into the water and drowned. And then I appeared out in Qeynos Hills without any idea what was going on. In getting to level 4, I must have died about 30 times.

I remember my first trips to mysterious far-flung places like Kerra Isle, Freeport (for a Qeynos player,) Mistmoore, and my first (and very nervous and painful) trips to Kunark and Velious. New lands were always a disaster.

The first time I evac'ed a group out of SolB. The cleric had already run for the exit, and I just plunked down, memmed the spell, and cast it. Everyone wondered why they were suddenly seeing a loading screen, and then were in SolRo.

Starting my cleric. My druid had been chosen because I wanted to "heal and do other stuff." After a while, I decided to give up on the other stuff. I was a total beast in low-level groups with the cleric since I actually knew what I was doing, and got spells 5 levels earlier.

One of my fondest memories -- perhaps my ultimate moment in gaming (in over 20 years) -- was a time in Highhold Pass when my cleric was about level 28. I was in a group of all melee who decided to move down into the raider room. We were owning upstairs, but the raider room was tougher. We had the room pulled, and I was keeping timer, but we had a sudden train from some hall pops, and fought off 3 mobs thanks to a series of progressive rootings by me, along with leading my "troops" around the small square room from corner to corner to avoid the rooted mobs. Roots would break, heals were needed, I had to med for 3 seconds at a time throughout, (with the book in my face!) and we got the full room pop so we never had fewer than 3 mobs in the room. I used every damn trick in my spellbook and then some, and the group pulled through as best as they could and traded damage like crazy. Everyone finished the fight at under 10% health, but we all lived. That was when I knew I had arrived as a cleric.

I remember classic complete healing chains once the entrance to Plane of Fear was finally broken, and the very bloody approaches it took to get in.

I remember burning my retinas grinding AA points in Velk's Lab, staring at white walls all day long.

I remember all the dungeon crawls I used to get involved in, the likes of which I rather miss from playing WoW. Instances solve a lot of problems, but none of the WoW dungeons are Chardok, Sebilis, LGuk, The Hole, or Crystal Caverns.

I remember grinding for ages in every zone in the game, rotating people on a list who would come and go while I could never leave because there was never a cleric to replace me.

I remember having other casters cast invisibility on me so we could run past strange dangerous places, and then waiting for the monk to drag someone to the safe spot to be rezzed after their invis failed. (Cazic Thule comes to mind.)

I remember when I first hit level 60, and got the hugest round of congratulations from my guildmates, a start-up raiding guild that I had joined at 57, and having one of the group members hand me a copy of Blessing of Aegolism right then and there.

I remember being the only cleric I knew with Turn Undead, and would go into Lower Guk, round up all of deadside, and turn them all and laugh as the other players there nearly dropped dead at the size of the trains I would pull. I doubt anyone on the server would have had any idea what I had done before I explained it.

I remember falling for 10k.

I remember LOADING, PLEASE WAIT. . .

I remember when my 90% rez wasn't good enough for people.

I remember my first AE group in Sebilis, and the sheer carnage.

I remember listening to guildmates complain about ridiculous camps that they would wait on, like Raster and Stormfeather. I also remember when they changed the cleric epic so that Ragefire was actually accessible without sitting in Naggy's lair.

I remember fighting over Fine Steel weapon drops.

I remember begging for a port to the Dreadlands, Lavastorm Mountains, Great Divide, or just about anywhere else.

I remember when the graphics rehaul went into the game, and wood elves went from being the hotties of the game to being all tall and spindly. (I still love the old models better.)

I remember dying my armor for the first time, and finding a color combination that was both beautiful to me, and that nobody else would ever use. (All my armor was a green-yellow color to represent Tunare.)

I remember refusing to kill Tunare so I could use my teleport idol into Felwithe safely.

I remember carrying gold from the Freeport bank to the torches in East Commonlands. I remember the first time I heard the auctions in EC.

...and of course, I remember posting on these boards about healing tactics. I remember when playing a game was just a pastime and not an exercise in min/max-ing and hardcore calculations, where skill meant more than the best mods and theorycrafting, and that nobody thought any less of you for that.

And I remember the community here. I may have found another group to talk about my WoW character's class, but it truly isn't the same. Names mostly escape me these days, but I still remember and love you all.
    Only the exceptions can be exceptional.

Friends don't let friends do tradeskills. (tm)

Quote Originally Posted by Restandre View Post
    Old board elder here that hasn't been around in years, really. I have been playing WoW, although I kinda swore off it a couple months ago. Every now and then, I think back to "the early days" of EQ in wonder, though. So many classic memories...

My very first experience in-game was as a human druid in Surefall Glade who didn't know how to swim and fell into the pond there. I veerrrryyy slowly sank into the water and drowned. And then I appeared out in Qeynos Hills without any idea what was going on. In getting to level 4, I must have died about 30 times.

I remember my first trips to mysterious far-flung places like Kerra Isle, Freeport (for a Qeynos player,) Mistmoore, and my first (and very nervous and painful) trips to Kunark and Velious. New lands were always a disaster.

The first time I evac'ed a group out of SolB. The cleric had already run for the exit, and I just plunked down, memmed the spell, and cast it. Everyone wondered why they were suddenly seeing a loading screen, and then were in SolRo.

Starting my cleric. My druid had been chosen because I wanted to "heal and do other stuff." After a while, I decided to give up on the other stuff. I was a total beast in low-level groups with the cleric since I actually knew what I was doing, and got spells 5 levels earlier.

One of my fondest memories -- perhaps my ultimate moment in gaming (in over 20 years) -- was a time in Highhold Pass when my cleric was about level 28. I was in a group of all melee who decided to move down into the raider room. We were owning upstairs, but the raider room was tougher. We had the room pulled, and I was keeping timer, but we had a sudden train from some hall pops, and fought off 3 mobs thanks to a series of progressive rootings by me, along with leading my "troops" around the small square room from corner to corner to avoid the rooted mobs. Roots would break, heals were needed, I had to med for 3 seconds at a time throughout, (with the book in my face!) and we got the full room pop so we never had fewer than 3 mobs in the room. I used every damn trick in my spellbook and then some, and the group pulled through as best as they could and traded damage like crazy. Everyone finished the fight at under 10% health, but we all lived. That was when I knew I had arrived as a cleric.

I remember classic complete healing chains once the entrance to Plane of Fear was finally broken, and the very bloody approaches it took to get in.

I remember burning my retinas grinding AA points in Velk's Lab, staring at white walls all day long.

I remember all the dungeon crawls I used to get involved in, the likes of which I rather miss from playing WoW. Instances solve a lot of problems, but none of the WoW dungeons are Chardok, Sebilis, LGuk, The Hole, or Crystal Caverns.

I remember grinding for ages in every zone in the game, rotating people on a list who would come and go while I could never leave because there was never a cleric to replace me.

I remember having other casters cast invisibility on me so we could run past strange dangerous places, and then waiting for the monk to drag someone to the safe spot to be rezzed after their invis failed. (Cazic Thule comes to mind.)

I remember when I first hit level 60, and got the hugest round of congratulations from my guildmates, a start-up raiding guild that I had joined at 57, and having one of the group members hand me a copy of Blessing of Aegolism right then and there.

I remember being the only cleric I knew with Turn Undead, and would go into Lower Guk, round up all of deadside, and turn them all and laugh as the other players there nearly dropped dead at the size of the trains I would pull. I doubt anyone on the server would have had any idea what I had done before I explained it.

I remember falling for 10k.

I remember LOADING, PLEASE WAIT. . .

I remember when my 90% rez wasn't good enough for people.

I remember my first AE group in Sebilis, and the sheer carnage.

I remember listening to guildmates complain about ridiculous camps that they would wait on, like Raster and Stormfeather. I also remember when they changed the cleric epic so that Ragefire was actually accessible without sitting in Naggy's lair.

I remember fighting over Fine Steel weapon drops.

I remember begging for a port to the Dreadlands, Lavastorm Mountains, Great Divide, or just about anywhere else.

I remember when the graphics rehaul went into the game, and wood elves went from being the hotties of the game to being all tall and spindly. (I still love the old models better.)

I remember dying my armor for the first time, and finding a color combination that was both beautiful to me, and that nobody else would ever use. (All my armor was a green-yellow color to represent Tunare.)

I remember refusing to kill Tunare so I could use my teleport idol into Felwithe safely.

I remember carrying gold from the Freeport bank to the torches in East Commonlands. I remember the first time I heard the auctions in EC.

...and of course, I remember posting on these boards about healing tactics. I remember when playing a game was just a pastime and not an exercise in min/max-ing and hardcore calculations, where skill meant more than the best mods and theorycrafting, and that nobody thought any less of you for that.

And I remember the community here. I may have found another group to talk about my WoW character's class, but it truly isn't the same. Names mostly escape me these days, but I still remember and love you all.
    ^^

Yes those were great days indeed!
    Kanati
    Jedi Healer of Bertox
    "Changing tanks minds is easy young padowan"

**Thinking of coming back.... WoW is not so WoW anymore.**