Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Early days! *rave*

Default The Early days! *rave*

Ok I started Eq when it went live. I had an EQ beta account but never used it because I didn't have the machine to run EQ yet. Anyways, was wanting to pass on some memories from back in the early days.

Like my first experience with swimming: I fell in a pool in Qeynos and couldn't get out. Swam for 30 minutes before I finally gave up and said screw it and died. Then when I went back to get my corpse, which had UBER gear (cloth) I kept trying to use /corpse but couldnt get close enough, so I finally decided to get back in and try again. Needless to say I died again, only this time after 10 minutes of swimming and typing /corpse because I didnt know how to use hotkeys yet. I refused to cross water for a long time after that. Swimming wasn't the problem, it was getting out over the edge.

Or the first time I zoned into North Karana, I saw this "Flying Lion" aka Griffon, I was so amazed at it's looks I ran to it to get a closer look and was pummeled quickly.

Or the first time I discovered the guards would save my ass. I had been playing around and getting killed trying to get some XP. I had no idea I could run to the guards, then I finally said, screw it, I'm gonna try to make it to the zone so I ran like a madman, and was astonished when I saw the Guards yelling and turned to see them stomp my pursuers to death.

Man the number of deaths back then before we knew anything about the game. It was hell but looking back it sure makes you appreciate what you have now!

I've got TONS of stories but will save them for later, let's here some of your early days stories!

Default Re: The Early days! *rave*

My first days were spent in the Greater Faydark, as you might expect. I probably stayed there and in Clan Crushbone far too long; the mobs were greening out...but where else could I go, right? Sure, some folks had talked about heading to the Estate of Unrest. The way they described it, I wasn't sure if I was ready to travel all the way there! /eek

I remember with great awe my first boat ride; the fact that the world was big enough for a boat trip to take half a day (relatively) amazed me. I had just come off of playing Diablo 2 pretty religiously, and this was totally different in breadth and scope.

I remember nervously eyeing the chat window as I stuck my face in the book, medding my little elven butt off, to keep an eye out for anything bad that might be happening.

It was truly a wonderful time, all of the firsts; I don't mourn the loss of some of the game mechanics. The PoK books have been both a boon and a bane; they are a great convenience, but at the same time they do trivialize a lot of the faction issues for race.

I do miss those early days, sometimes, for their wonder and fear.
    ...and they, being naughty in thine eyes, shall snuff it...

The PoK books have been both a boon and a bane; they are a great convenience, but at the same time they do trivialize a lot of the faction issues for race.
    I wish they never implimented Luclin/PoK travel. /frown IMO, that was one of the very undoings for old schoolers like us. I came in way before Luclin was out (not as far back as you Kunark old timers) but it was ALOT more fun to traverse the countryside not knowing what was there than just reading from a book and having it "magically" transport you to timbucktwo. I kinda sympathize with the druids and wizards now because Luclin/PoK ruined the game (pretty much) for them. That was their lot in life. Now they are port bishs for CR's... kinda like clerics. Now we're rez bishs but we have comptetition. Hrm, I suddenly don't feel so symphathetic.
    AzActor84

It was when I discovered the alcohol system for the first time, raving how the tiny room in Kaladim I was in suddenly looked like a long hut. Falling off the OOT boat with my level 6 rogue because I was passing the time somersaulting off the top and slipped, maxing my swimming in the process (but creating several hours of frustration). The drunken bash after the wedding where I first joined my guild, the drunken swimming and the duels. I had a 45 minute duel with a monk friend in my guild because his mend matched perfectly my mana pool, me blinding him and he using his sound to try to track me to the tree I would hide behind. That first sight of Field of Bone. Pulling up the walls in Everfrost. Exploring Permafrost solo having no idea what I was getting into. The train at the basement of Unrest that swallowed my group. Going into Unrest, all the way through Najena with my guild friends, questing Ro armor for the necro among us. The day I got my nickname. When I organized a mid-twenties group of four and leveled crazily in Frontier Mountains, at a time when the zone was jeering at us that there was no way we could survive there. We did, with amazing execution of an enchanter, myself, and a druid (the pally was an idiot who didn't even taunt. We replaced him with the chanter's animation 8D) Sneaking around Guk knowing that one wrong move was instant death (Mask of Deception with my rogue). Organizing a rescue party for some stranger who had fallen down the well to the 3rd floor of Befallen, jumping down and surviving by our teeth before the druid came for evac. I just recently went deep solo into Sol A. First time ported into Lavastorm and being really intimidated. Getting so lost in Neriak that I gave up the character (mage). Surviving the most impossible train with an amazing group by KFC, everyone calling out mana, the next available heal or nuke. A low 20s cleric (moi) trying to figure out how to break the Penthouse with some well-placed lulls. My bandit group in the WC when we managed to all survive an attack by the werewolf; learning to love LoH because of it. Sneaking in the bowels of Blackburrow with my rogue knowing again that if I did something wrong I was toast; surviving with the reward of an upgraded piercer: Giant Snake Fang.

Wow that's alot. I posted this in the videos thread, but here it is again. It's a great Nostalgia piece. http://home.att.ne.jp/surf/mirage/memory_album.html

My first big expedition came after the first few days playing, right after Velious came out. I made a dwarf cleric, and wanted to play with my wife's Barbarian Shaman.. I had NO idea how to get to Halas, or even that there was such a thing as a boat! But eventually I got directions and ran my level 4 butt to the docks, to Freeport.. OMG I was so amazed at the giant spiders in WC. Somehow I haven't died yest, listening to the advice somone told me "Stay on the walls and you'll be all right." Zone into Kithkor, run around there forever, lost as heck. Finally make it into HHP. Someone at the orc camp showed me across the zone =) The amazing run down the gorge in EK, across EK... I finally made it all the way to Blackburrow wih no sow, no port, and no idea what I was doing. Then I proceeded to get pummled by gnolls and panic and jump into the water pit, thinking that'll save me! My second time around I met a God who could port me all the way to NK, then bound me in Qeynos.. that guy was the most uber person I have ever seen in EQ. Level 29! But I was on my own once again to make it through Blackburrow, I succeed this time (corpse was left to rot for the ages.) I found my way through, by sheer dumb luck, and saw my wonderful wife waiting on the other side of the zone! (I was so confused that she couldn't see me "What, it's not too dark?")

lol my most fovorite momory was my second character a monk I had made level 9 and had the third sash and someone tells me they heard that the other monk guild had head bands or something from a friend that made a monk in qeynos. I start my way over not knowing what things are like running from freeport through kithkor(I got so lucky it was daytime and I had gotten sow from an ubber Shaman) I got through highpass and it was night and well needdless to say I found out that there was a gorge there but was like what the heck my safefall got better. made run all over just to find my corpse was missing (went down to bottom right way in daylight and all the way back to beginning in the bottom) ended up petitioning GM cause corpse was so far up wall it could not be gotten with corpse command from either side top or bottom. Got my body back and then completed run and got mad cause I kept getting lost in qeynos. I said the heck with it logged him there and started a new character my first cleric and have been playing clerics since. not left that server not long after cause all our friends went pvp and we had friends on another server so we went there and have had a blast
    Caddarly Bonadance
    58 Cleric of Tunare

Heh, ever notice how the most memorable experience people have from Ye Olde Days involves trying to get across Antonica?

When I first played EQ, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth...errr, wait, before dinosaurs roamed the earth, I mean...
    Anyway, I started some caster types in Felwith and Kelethin at first, but quickly decided that the Unlife was the life for me, and started a Necro in Odus.
    It took forever to get to level 8...I didn't have Paineel or the Warrens to help me. Toxula Forest, empty now, was full of other people fighting for the kobold camps. Kerra was usually easier to find something to kill for XP, but that damn UberKitty that kept running through usually meant a retreat every few minutes. I mean, yeesh, it was a level 14 MOb! How were we supposed to beat it?/eek

When I finally managed to get to 8, I headed for Queynos. I think I probably spent more time riding that damn boat then I did fighting anything for two days, as I tried to get through Qeynos before Gather Shadows died (causing me to die soon after).

I finally made it through, though, and found someone nice enough to bind me in Qeynos Newbie zone, so at least I didn't have to worry as much about dying.
    Except BlackBurrow was way overcamped, and West Karana was way too empty.
    Now, instead of 20 minute boat rides that I could walk away from, I had 20 minute runs with my fingers crossed, hoping that - once again- Gather Shadows wouldn't drop at a Really Bad Time.

I had heard that Freeport was much more welcoming, so I decided to try to make it there. Hail, another 2 days worth of CR's.
    Finally made it through the Pass and into Kithkor. This was before it went all Dark and Forbidding. I remember switching to Walk just so I could enjoy the scenery.

Imagine my joy when I /con'd the Freeport Guards and found I wasn't KoS. Sadly, the dwarves in Butcherblock were not so welcoming when I decided to visit fair Faydwer...Luckily, I was 12 before I made that trip, and was able to bind before venturing in to new areas.

"Oh merciful Tunare, even though I have personally rammed a sword into your oversized breast and looted your broken corpse about 3 times this month alone, please grant me the ability to heal faster! I offer you this piece of crap item I looted off an orc I was able to kill blindfolded. I hope you like it."
    Dobbanz on Lanys, discussing the new Tribute System

Probably one of the best times I have ever had in EQ happened early on, before Kunark. My guild had an event called the drunken troll race. What we did, was to make level 1 trolls, get them drunk and see who could make it to Freeport first and killed by a guard. I have never laughed so hard in all my laugh! We had a guildie loaded with booze sitting at each of the zones, so if you became sober you could refill.

We had one of our guys actually make it all the way to the bank in North Freeport!

Another time me and some friends who played Necro's also, decided we would go see what we could waste. There were 5 necro's and 1 Shadowknight. We went to Freeport and decided to kill the Priest of Discord! Holy smokes! Im not sure anyone had ever tried that before. Since it was fairly early in EQ. Talk about funny. PoD runs fast, if you dont have SOW forget trying to get away from him. What was funny was to see 6 skeleton pets running around in circles, trying to catch PoD while one of the necros was running just trying to get away. I guess you would have had to been there. anyways, we didnt kill PoD "that" day, but we sure had a lot of fun! We drew a crowd of people shouting us on. What a blast.

I remember seeing the ooold golems in nektulos and being scared to death. All I say was red...I diddnt notice the fact that they were amiable to me...only red..

I remember being level 10 and feeling Uber...

I remember getting a harvester from a *gasp* level 53 necro...and feeling terribly uber...
    Become a minion today! Fall to the cuteness of the kitties!
    So shonen it frikkin' hurts.
    "Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you, Some people find that thought disturbing, I find the reality thrilling."
    - Dr Richard Dawkins

wow i got in right after luclin, the clostest thing i ever got to uber travel, was with my lvl 6 rudite mage. with some blessing from brell (or whatever his god was) i made it all th way from erudin to either NK, EK or WC with some excorts and a port to kaladim so i could give my lvl 2 dorf cleric some gp.

but my funniest stories include my very first character, my beloved gnome chanter. his last name was going to be Diesalot because he did just that. and most of the time, it wasnt because of my newbishness. it was just plain bad luck.

one time i was afk medding at the binder in freeport. i come back about 20 minutes later and find that my skill isnt maxed out, but one of the uber evil leaders of freeport randomly comming for a walk and klling me. or the time i was lost in LFay and found out that the nice unicorn had a big brother that wasnt so nice. or the time that i was sitting in WC medding after pwaning a 1337 will'o'wisp (whichw as uber for me) when kizdian jix's little brother takes a stroll right past me and kills me. or the time i'm waiting for a guildie at the top of the EK trail, and i was jumping around waiting when all of the sudden, i realized that where was no floor where i just jumped, and found my corpse rotting deep in the wall with no aids from the gms. that was the end of james acton

ooooohhhh best newb story ever!! so my rudite mage is slinkin round qeynos being cool at lvl 5 when i accidently fall into the secret rouge guild.!!!! holy crap taht place is dark and i was a rudite so i couldnt see atl atll! i was down there with a gm casting some spell to light up the room for about 3 seconds with an uber lvl8 dude who go stuck too. that was a long 30 min.

or the time my chanter accidently cast mezz on a vendor instead of the faction spell. or the time i forgot i was in delf illusion and found out that delfs are KoS in felwithe.... wow sooo many stories!!!

I came into EQ on a trial basis with a Barbarian Warrior. When I first came into the game, all I could see was text from merchants "buy this" and "buy that". I didn't know at the time they were NPCs and thought players were hounding me. So I venture south in Halas and fell in the pond there. I forgot how to look up or down so I eventually died. When I spawned, it was in Everfrost at the cave mouth. I didn't know anything about bind points and just thought I would randomly pop all over after I died. I gave the game up for a short while.

My curiousity got the better of me and I found myself content just exploring and hunting from the cave in Everfrost out to the newb area. I didn't go very far in the newb area from all the dangers but I thought it was so cool just to be participating in the world of EQ.

I wondered what that town was I was first in when I began to play and how to get there. I had no idea the cave led back to Halas as it was too dark for me to see. Later on I would find EQ Atlas and see the map showing the cave. I thought that was cool enough for me .

/me rocks slowly on his rocking chair, smoking his pipe and sipping a Qeynos afternoon tea

Ahh yes.. the good ole days .. back when my own Pali Guild leader killed me 4 times before i realized that "/" was a very important thing to put before sAy. .. hehe

Or the very first time I zones into the West Commons and saw my very first Hill Giant! I was so amazed i forgot to run and was quickly turned to Mush...

Or ridding the boat to Butcherblock about 20 times in a day just to run into Kaladim to turn in bonechips for faction...(thought Decaying skellies were native to EC)

/me cackles gleefully then coughs and sputters..

or the very first quest given to me by a Player (Guild Officer). He handed me 5pp ( a fortune to a lv and asked me to take it to someone waiting in Lake Rathe. So off I went through Nro.. oasis.. Sro.. In Swamp.. Feerot... met Mr Bouncer and started the run over again... but finaly made it to Lake Rathe, handed all the plat to the "Ubber red Conning Player" who thanked me for my honesty and invited me into their guild... Wow.. I was feeling GREAT.. lv 8 and a Guild tag ta boot...

Running arround like Galahad himself with my MIGHTY Combine Longsword..

/me notices with a scowl that his pipe has gone out and the blanket on his withered lap has fallen off..

"DANG Younguns!!"..
    /me grabs his shotgun
    "Y'ALL get offa ma Property Now!

Whoa...back in the day...travelling

Just so people can realize how limited the scope of travel can be for some, I present my memory.

My first character in EQ was an ogre warrior on Povar (started day 1 or whenever the server first came up and Verant got their act together.) I did the whole leveled up with folks starting out in The Ferrott, My travel, as an ogre warrior, involed going from the gates of the city to the entrance of Cazic Thule in the time it took me to lvl from lvl 1 to lvl 12 (I think that was the level I was when I first stepped into Cazic Thule.) Granted leveling from lvl 1 to lvl 12 took like forever.

I remember stepping into Cazic Thule and seeing a couple people sitting at zone in in Rubicite Armour and thinking "Wow!" Those people were the leading edge in leveling and farming players! It was very impressive to see that type of loot like a week after the game had come out.

The moral of the story is the extent of my travel in like 12 levels was from the gates of the city of Ogguk to the Temple that leads to Cazic-Thule! LOL! I look back on that and think I really should have gotten out more! Now you can see lvl 1 characters all over.
    Parklyn Anmeddin

I started back in 1999. Things were a bit different. One thing never changed...ME. I have alwasy played too many characters and never really got anyone to high level, since my highest is a 54 mage. Anyhoo.

I remember needing desperatly that combine longsword sold by the vendors in Oasis so I could make my fortune killing Wisps. Ya need a magic sword to hit them ya know. Only got killed twice running down the middle of oasis like a fool at level 8. The shriveled mummies had a field day with me. That SK was an undead magnet. The beauty of it all was that that particular vendor did not care for darkelves and would not sell to me. Luckily an honest barb came along and used my hard earned coin to purchase it for me.

I remember creating my Erudite mage. Blind as a bat. I never will understand why they made that pass sooo dark to get out to the forest to hunt. I passed by the crystal without knowing it. (It got darker as I approached it and could not see it with my UBER candle equipped) Seems I took a flying leap off the railing. I fell to my first EQ death without ever having engaged a mob.

I remember fiting snakes in toxulia for days to get enough skins to sell so I could purchase a senior apprentice robe. It was quite nice. I even killed a kobold that had a backpack. I needed a place to keep all those snake skins but I sold it anyways so I could purchase a lantern. I could see now.

Level 3 my friend talked me into the kobold camps. We were running out and I got caught by a skeleton, not a decayed skeleton, A Skelton. He killed me and my new blue robe was out in the forest somewhere. I died 3 times by other skeletons trying to get it back. Eventually I did get it.

Turning 12 we went to the bandit camps in west karana. Breaking the spawn meant an all out war. Someone cast on one or pulled it somehow and it was an all out brawl, our group of 6 against their group of 6. Someone almost always died or if not it was a great fite.

The werewolf was a trip. When he showed up there was no running. (of course I was an erudite...I couldn't outrun a firebeetle) He would tear through a bandit group then leave 6 corpses behind.

I zoned into nektulos forest once out of curiosity. Should have realized when I saw all the others medding outside the zone in EC. I zoned in only to have Corporal Whoopazz hand me a hearty welcome to the darkelf newbie area.

One of my other darkelves was in a guild quite a few years ago. It was a lot of fun until the "reverent mother" went insane and deleted the guild. not sure why but who cares. We did have a few crazy guild raids which were a lot of fun. I think I died atleast once on every guild raid except for one into befallen. Guild life was fun when it was good but now none of my toons are guilded.

I have been chased out of more zones by mobs out of sheer stupidity than I can count. Gee rocky, watch me pull a mob out of that hut. TRAIN TO ZONE!!!

Luckily I have a good friend that has a counter toon to group with almost everyone of my toons. Then we can laugh about the stupid things we did the night before.

Multi-resident of Brell

Fondest memory, and one that has kept me playing for years...

Being level 5, just a few days after the game's release, and wandering into Lavastorm. I played in the dead of night back then, so no one was on, or even in the zone.

I went into Lavastorm a few feet, and saw...

A Nightmare.

Yes, a Nightmare from Plane of Fear, was just roaming around Lavastorm. Sadly, I no longer have screenshots, and a Dev tells me that in fact, one *can* still spawn there, but have never seen it again.

As an aside, I had to ask a friend who played beta what the horse was, as at the time they weren't common knowledge, and Fear wasn't open yet, as I recall.

Anyway, it's that one thing that has made me always check out new zones to the fullest. To be able to just spot something that may never return.