Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The Early days! *rave*

Default Re: The Early days! *rave*

It is not that i do not like the game any more but i certainly miss the aww i felt in the old days.
    When i first saw the boat from Freeport, i was like OMG, how could they design such a wonderful thing .... It was just fun walking around in Qeynos enjoying the designs
    The game was more social those days, too. You had to ask for ports, bargain the prices in the tunnel, say .. like thank you ...
    And was most certainly more slow, it took me months to level to 20. Now, even if you start a new character on a new server, you can level up to 20 in a single weekend.

I miss a lot of things about the old days.. but not the tunnel. Guess I am too shy at heart or something. I was terrified of getting ripped off in the tunnel. And I dont think that I would have the time or patience to stand there and sell off my own stuff.

The Bazaar works great! The books work excellent.

But there was that feeling of awe or perhaps terror that seems to be gone for good.
    Archon
    The Nameless Server
    (Retired)

I liked North Freeport (market place on Mith Marr, then Drinal when Mith Marr split)... took actual skill to sell things.. this was before bazaar and before channels.. you had to sit in NFP for days on end to famliarize yourself with the prices.. then getting those great deals and making a ton of profit.. Bazaar is just sell sell sell... NFP was Buy AND Sell.. alot more fun.
    Was one of the richest on Mith Marr at one point from spending a good 6 months in NFP Buying and Selling
    With this post..I am one post closer to Jarvis's post count!
    The Gnome's Gear

Well, just picked up the game last October. My friend finally convinced me into playing. I started with a mage, always had a preference for casters especially from what I had seen from other games. Oops, put my skill points into agility thinking at least between casts I'll be hitting only to see... miss miss miss 1 miss. Did meet a cleric level 10 and roleplaying he had guided me through teaching me some of the basics. I got to the great level of 6! I forgot to install Luclin and PoP, no books and no spires. A wizard said let's go to some Luclin zone poof no more mage .

A few days later I decided to try again I decided well, I'll make a high elf, now what class. Ah, yes I'll make a cleric and share what the level 10 cleric had shared with me. Think I actually made it to level 17 or so before I actually installed Luclin and PoP *sigh* Even though just starting out that Friday night a lot of people had made alts by Saturday morning I was decked out in cloth and thinking hey, I never saw that drop where did you get that. Did a lot that week I first started my cleric. Had my first full group at level two bashing away at all the local wildlife and skellies thinking I was unstoppable because there were 5 people around me and guards to run to if I had to. Going to CB with this uber ranger level 17, I got to level 7, might have been lower, by this time. We had two groups together there working as one just clearing the local orcs. He asked if I was getting xp, I said yes even though I wasn't, I was enjoying the hunt. Saved by a wizard at orc hill, good friend of mine since.

Then the first time I ventured out and finding out that there was more than CB, there was a boat and a whole other contenent. OMG! I'm lost help someone, I'm in freeport and have no idea where I'm going. Hunting in Oasis dreading the ghouls, the orc highway group (3 Necros, wizzy, sk, and cleric), seeing my friend kill Cazel and barely taking damage. Come to think of it I really liked that zone from Oasis to Freeport, meant I was safe from those ghouls and my curiousity. First time soloing because no one wanted the cleric in HHK thinking if I can single it I can solo it, and that's what I did.

Whew, come to think of it I really liked not having PoP and Luclin when I didn't have it. /shudder that painful three hour cr with my wizzy friend. Our guild worked to helping us get it, our normal xp group tried, three hours later and after a painful search we made it. I hate rhinos more than I hate Goons, OT horrible nasty place, but I loved those chains. Use to play games with our enchanter to see who could go the longest without calling the DON'T PULL.

Conderi Darkheart

I remember the first time I set foot on Velious. It was with my warrior (my first char and my original main) she was level 26 and I went with a friend to hunt Tizmaks in Great Divide. Was running with my friend towards Thurgadin when all of a sudden I see spam in my window (mind you this was still when we played with life in a box) Your body is rent with shards of ice you have taken 150 points of damage. I had been attacked by a young shardwurm. Needless to say I did not last long. Took me almost 2 hours to find a cleric anywhere near the zone to rez me so I could get my gear. But my goodness was it fun!

Yeah I love to explore also we saw a new beserker skelaton in chardok this past week he looked kinda kool .In regards to the post way above don't feel abd hon I died in halas lake 5 times before i figured out how to Look up too lol.It is amazing how stupid things are to us now after 3 years but back then was such a major deal to me I almost gave up lol.But luckily I didnt I played in banded gear till level 40 I think but back then that was uber lol...

I remember good 'ol selling in East Commonlands... I always loved that...
    Selling everything on me at the 2nd torch!!

I also remember the first time I raided Hate.. when you had to break in.. I was a mage at the time (my first char who made it to level 65 before I gave her up). We broke in and wiped.. so I sat outside at the spires in sro and summoned armor and weapons for the whole alliance so we could try to get our cropses back.. THAT was too funny and such a great time!!!
    Nilleah Wafer
    65th Cleric of Tunare
    Karana Server

LOL,
    I came to the game as a way to talk to my brother online. he lives in the state of washington and I live in NC.. we never talk so I thought this would be a way to talk to him via LIVE e-mail... I made a DE cleric and stayed lvl 1 for almost a month never moved him out of nek forest.. then one day I logged on to talk with my brother and he was not on so I decided to walk around to see what was so great about this "game".. I walked out of the city by mistake.. and almost turned the computer off because the screen froze up..."loading please wait"... then i was able to move and i backed up into the zone line and again the screen froze up.. I was like WTF... i waited pressing all the arrow keys and thing WHY CANT I MOVE... then i zoned in and could move i turned around tring to figure out that had happened and hit the zone again... after about 30 minutes of this i zone at the same time as someone and i followed them, now in the forest with a LVL 3 sk in front of me I followed him out and watched him kill a few spiders.. then i thought I can do that to.. so with my Uber cleric melee powers I started smacking spiders with no weopon or armor... I died alot before i learned about spells weopons and armor.. was good times.. then someone invited me to Lavastorm I was like where is that (knew nothing of other zones) i zoned in and saw a red dragon... had heard stories of dragons from my brother and this fire drake was to me a red coned dragon.. and we KILLED IT WOOOO HOOO I was uber.... yeah that was good times

One of my many memories involves Oasis... Sitting innocently trying to med on the docks before I realised that this was a bad spot.. and having creatures from hell trained onto me.../ooc Spectres to Docks... Never could understand why the spectres were always trained to the docks when the South Ro zoneline was closer..

Being pummeled by Lockjaw, and madmen.. ( I still go out my way today to smack a few around the ears for all the punishment inflicted on me..

I loved it when I first started when the world seemed so massive. When velious was released it just got bigger! I was amazed of the size of the game and all the things I could do. I enjoyed Luclin beacuse of the graphic revamp. Well there are several things I liked and disliked about each add on but PoP was my favorite, I liked the story line and actually being able to see the gods. ive had several fun times in eq and have been pleased with the game sense I've started. The only thing i truly HATED was our epic when we had to finish it in SolB! I looks forward to better times ahead.
    Exarch Lillyy Llu 65 Archon Bertoxxulous
    "Why be good when it is so easy to be bad?"
    Sage Aanaelen Llu 65 Arcanist
    Lilzz Llu 65 Feral Lord

I remember my other half setting up his mage when the game first came out. He told me to watch his mage while he went outside to talk to a friend of mine. I was so scared that I would walk him into the water and drown him!!! When I finally made up my own character, I couldn't wait to get to lvl 12 (when you got bind affinity). Then I went on the boat ride and entered Freeport. A whole new world opened up!!

Then there is hunting in Oasis of Marr and trying not to become Sand Giant Toe Jam!! OR entering East Commons to a bunch of auctions going on.
    Sephrenia Soulfire
    62nd Lvl High Preistess of Tunare
    Hand of Ka
    Prexus

-I can't cure Stupidity-

Back in 1999 I started on one of the carebear servers and that lasted until I discovered the wonder that is Rallos Zek. Instead of being in awe of npc's and new zones I find myself marveling at the skills, gear, and knowledge of the uber elite. Some of my fondest memories entail me running my ass off from Twinquie and Blackwiduw, two ruthlessly sexy pk's. Now when pk's attack me I usually survive but the threat of action and excitement has never left rallos, although it has been dummed down since the pvp patch.

Varus
    Non liquet...

personally i'd have to add in that when i started, it was by a sheer fluke.. i'd been one of those that has seen friends playing beta and such.. but never gave it much of a an eye shot longer then 3-4 seconds. so one night i go knock on my roomate at the time's door and ask for a smoke ( i'd run out ) and he's playing his Barbarian War.. crowned in a resplendant Bears helm. and i think well that's different.. and his friend and his gf playing another barbarian shaman and a high elf mage.. out on the frozen tundra of everfrost.. now, it's winter at the time.. so hearing the howling winds, thinking chilled earth. cold winds.. i get shivers..

Out of the Corner of my eye i see something run past, and Behind it a Large white something.. I ask WTF was that ?? and he say " oh that's Tundra Jack, he's a Npc and he's gotta pet with him pretty nice guy actually he'll save your life ..kinda like a gaurd .. " i'm liek " ahh.. ok, that's cool "

still not really interested at that point but curiosty is pique'd for sure.

then i watched all three heading for halas ( where the hellever that was at the time i had no clue ) and my friends tank get's jumped by a Vengeful Soloist!, Tank panic's he's naked and using a rusted 2hndr .. Mage is OOM ( what's that ?!? ) and Sham is runnning for the gaurds.... sham gets lost.. Mage is at guards so the chat says.. Tank is liek WTF!!?!? Heal ME! sham's liek i have no clue where i am!, tank's running i'm trying to help him remember what i can ( and not doing well ) tank runs into the gobby camp just off the ramp, Vengeful giving him some Barbarian Love tappings at the same time.. he finnaly sees the ramp and is runing as fast as his slow legs can carry him..

some other player see's him near death walking into the gaurds. gaurds not helping him yet.. and this little guy trying to be kind casts what he thought was a heal.. i see SoanSo begins to cast a spell.. but you are protected.. Gaurds run the vengeful .. vengeful falls fast to them.. them Rush the other player who had infact casted Burst of Fire on my friends tank.. and Slaughtered him.

I saddly laughed so hard i was crying.. ( stil haven't gotten a smoke yet .. and 8 hrs later )

next day i went out and got Eq, 5 yrs later.. all my old friends have left.. and i still have these memories of a game that i never thought'd i'd have the slightest interest in.. and to be frank.. one of the more involving rpg's i've been a part of since i started with Ad&d

*raises a tankard of ale *

To the past, and the memories of the Victorious Dead

This reminds me of my first raid I have a screenshot of it here. It was naggy I was level 44.. I must have died 40 times I binded in room and Fire giants repopped... http://img141.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...uchharm0is.jpg

This is the pic

http://www.thottbot.com/
    http://wow.allakhazam.com/

I'm sure that I am not the only one to think this, but is it all lost for us? I mean is that rush gone no matter what game we play now? I have played SoR, WoW, EQ2 (currently playing), and other MMORPG and nothing compares to the first 6 months of eq...not even close. The people I played with I still consider some of my closest friends and the majority I have never met. I have not felt that rush, it's almost like I have learned what the basics of an MMORPG are and I will never have that feeling. Then again, maybe it's just me .

Some things I miss:

The vengeful soloist, he was the bane of my shamans existence.

When the lake of Ill omen had 125 people and there was NOTHING on track, heck lower guk was the same.

Feign deathing with my monk in Guk and grabbing a Yak

The absolute horror of running through Kithicor at night and hugging the wall as tight as you can.

The dread of hearing the "boom" when your medding in an area where there were giants.

Doing the rusty dagger quest from Felwithe to Kelethin and being terrified at the run *Snicker

And the funny moments like falling asleep and going over the edge of the cliff in East Karana or when a friend and I were in East karana and we heard the boom and I see a giant fist just flatten him in one hit...god those were the days. I miss it, I miss it bad.
    Last edited by Granpa; 01-07-2005 at 12:44 PM.
    Reorx
    Cleric of Lucan D'Lere

Zerafine 65 Necro of Luclin (Retired)
    Granpa 67 Cleric of Stromm (Retired)
    Originator of the slogan "A Peridot is forever"