Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Early days! *rave*

Default Re: The Early days! *rave*

Wow.. lots of old timers on here. Good to see that. I had almost forgotten about some of the old days. I was there, March 16 with my fresh copy of EQ..

How about...

Remember the run from Rivervale to Qeynos (or vice versa), when you had to leave all your stuff in the bank and run naked, so you wouldn't lose anything if you died running your arse off through the Gorge? How about the quick run through the original Runnyeye, peeping around the corners to see if those damned crazed goblins were stalking about. Talk about scary..

Things to remember from the truly "old" days (1999)...

Lustrious Russet armor! The first "planar" armor. Wow. People on my server actually saved pieces of this stuff.

Rubicite armor - before dying, the only red armor in the game, and a status statement.

Drelzna - the eternal JBoots camp. My warrior is a proud owner of the Drelzna-camped boots.

The first time you made it to Emperor Crush and actually killed the bloody fool!

Mayong Mistmoore - No i never saw him, heard of him and remember when they pulled him from the game. He used to be in the tower that no one could get to for a long time.

Being allowed to loot a corpse after a /consent was given! LOL

The countless GM intervention from the first Fear raids.. People died over and over and originally the GMs were reluctant to do anything since they had warned people that you "die hard in the Planes".

The "old" Hate (I liked it better somehow)

"Old" Cazic Thule. Remember that damnable Bouncer Turd that would hover nearby and slaughter you as you tried to make it to CT or leave? Someone always trained him there. And the coveted Avatar of Fear. I don't even recall what he used to drop before the ravenscale BP was put on him, but it was a fun camp because he was so unique.

OMG Befallen.. Falling down that well was evil. Who likes a keyed dungeon anyhow? I always got stuck dying behind a locked door.. and the BBC, wow, it was 200pp back then, a TON of money that few had for a long time.

How about the Tommy camp in Highpass. I remember camping the whole ledge with my group of friends, only to have the Tommy stolen by a druid that warped in, nuked him down and ninja'd the Tommy. GRRR, I ended up paying 275pp, my whole life savings, for one later.

I still recall the original Vox kill on Xegony. It was a huge event, GMs were there, the whole server seemed to stop to witness even if they weren't in the zone. It was a very big deal.

The opening of Kedge Keep...

Bronze armor.. It was uber. Heavy as hell too. That Lake Rathe camp was coveted for the bronze drops (the undead gnolls n stuff).

The opening of Kunark.. the first run around Dreadlands and the discovery of Karnor's Castle. Everyone was /ooc'ing around "does anyone know where the elven outpost is??" which of course, was FV.

How about the old shortcut in West Karana.. You could zone north from NK into WK, zip into the water and you'd hit a bugged spot in the map and it would zip you to a "safe spot" near the path out of WK into Qeynos Hills.. It was a great way to travel back to Qeynos and safe that long run.

The daily boat crashing and resetting of BB and East FP..

The Paw of Opolla quest and that dreaded camp in Kerra Ridge... ugh

Tunare once appeared to everyone (possibly just before an expansion, it may have been Kunark's announcement) in Greater Faydark. It was very cool actually.

A GM event in Everfrost where the GMs controlled the ice giants... 100 people in the zone but a lot of fun.

Wow, the efreeti camp. Pulling those imps and guardians was such a pain and holding the camp with adds was a pain. Someone always dropped something into the fire pit and wiped the party..

I remember people saying not to kill the wolves that dropped pelts for patchwork armor (remember patchwork??) using fire spells because it would affect what kind of pelt that would drop! IE, you'd get a crappy pelt if you fried the mob to cinders LOL

Manastones, when the evil eye in Guk used to drop them..

Having to TP to Dreadlands, then TP from inside Karnor's just to get to Emerald Jungle /boggle

The myth of the Oaken Scimitar (+9 wisdom scimitar, when +9 was freaking uber)

The implementation of "Lore" items. I remember my Tommy showing "Pending Lore" as Verant gave you some time to get rid of your duplicate item before it got wiped, thus creating Lore or single copy only, items.

I could think of more, I know it.. In a way the game was more fun then.. Simplistic and scary.
    Last edited by Ayreon; 11-19-2003 at 09:33 AM.
    Archon Ayreon Lucassen
    Exarch of Diligence, the Seventh Hammer

I relish the fact that I started pre-sense heading 200,a free bag, and no corpse recovery.

Before maps, when the world was there to be explored!

To this day I am in awe of the fact that snakes can Kick!!

The days when a GM would help you; I miss Verant!

I remember Corpse Recovery's in Chardok and Plane of Growth!

Will never forget the friendships made, the bonds that keep us playing.

Or when someone out of the blue sends a tell and ask's Remember me?
    Venerable Kaelin Lifecaster
    65 Archon Shades of the Void

Stay Involved .. Stay Interested

Wow, how did I miss this topic?

I still remember when the first players were reaching level 50 there was a serverwide message congratulating the player for reaching such a lofty goal.

The days that Flowing Black Robes sold for nearly 2k on Rodect Nife (cos everyone wanted to look like the POD)

The days of running around in Unrest without a clue and being trained shortly after you got there.

Every druid was decked out when they wore a Brown Chitin Protector and had 200 wis.

Clerics nearly killing each other for the coveted EM armor from Hate.

The old pet animations where the necros skellys would actually sit instead of becoming a pile of bones. (was quite comical)

Last but not least, killing guards in Nektulos for experience, untill the Dragoons came and turned our group into a pile of steaming goo.

Having high elf friends who would make the journey to Freeport, collect derv rings and bring these rare riches back to Faydwer to sell. People were amazed at these rings, which not only actually had AC but a STAT! A real STAT!

My husband's monk set up a guide service between Freeport and Qeynos. It would only take him about 15 minutes to fill up a group of people who wanted to be shown the route. The key part: "Ok, this is the Gorge. You have to run way up on the wall behind me, but there are two spots where it won't let you stay up and you WILL fall off. If you don't get back up fast, those horned guys will kill you -- and I'm your guide, not your protector."

Dashing through Runnyeye to sit at the entrance of the gorge and watch the groups that pulled to the zone there. Many of them were over level 20 and had last names!

The first time I ever watched a group killing a sand giant. Or a spectre.

How insanely hard it was to kill a sand giant or a spectre.

Exploring OOT before most people even realized there were islands in it. Finding gargoyles out there that dropped eyes worth 10 plat each! Unheard of riches!

Creating pacts with friends to "pass on" solo hunting spots. You could only tell one or two people about them, and you didn't do this until you were done levelling there. There were no web sites that posted these places yet, so you remained very discreet.

Fine steel loot at the hermit in SK.

Saving forever to pay 1k for an Oracle Robe, and then strutting for weeks.

Summoning pets all over the place after they changed mage pets to be larger for higher levels. Boy, Jobaber was huge!

Crying my eyes out with stress, sleeplessness and shocked relief while running out through Nektulos after my Drelzna camp, which had had heavy-duty KSing by a very high level druid (level 35). 40 hours. Man.

Duelling and going into the planes naked, to rez up later. Duel messages were announced server-wide, and I got about two dozen excited /tells the first time people who knew me saw my name in a duel death message, because they realized they knew someone who was actually going on a planes run!

Trying to research level 50 spells when the words were only available in the planes and on the allizewsaurus.

Grouping with strangers to practice languages during the boat rides. Ceasing this practice after it was discovered that the spam kept crashing the boat/zones.

When having one alternate above level 30 was hugely uber.

When having Temple quest gear was hugely uber.

When efreeti boots took 3+ groups, and nobody allowed pulling from outside the room because it was too dangerous. You just sat there. And sat there.

I started on Xev the first week it opened, Dec 2000. Wow, those were the days. I started a human warrior, because that's what I'd played for 10 years in a long-running D&D campaign.

Playing with my RL friend's baby ranger in the Qeynos newbie zone. Decaying skels were highly sought after! And my friend could TRACK to them!!!! I was at my house and she was at hers, so I had no idea how she did that, OMG!

We got to lvl 4 and went to that scary gnoll stronghold of BlackBurrow. I'm not sure how we managed to get all the way to the lower snakes, but we did -- attacked a giant snake and promptly died. I ran like a girl, and ended up in what I now know was the area below the clover room, and lost my corpse. I was crushed.

I remember the first time I attacked a wisp and was horrified to find out I couldn't hit it with my rusty longsword. SPLAT.

Holly Windstalker killed me just because a wolf didn't like me. *growl*

BlackBurrow was always camped up. My warrior's first critical hit on the elite ledge. *flex*

All the raiders in WK were always camped.

The SK spires and the bird cage were always camped up.

Splitpaw was always camped up, at least, the front area before the doors. Beyond the doors was a scary mystery -- and all the rumors about people being charmed and taken deep into Paw, then coming back with mobs that nuked for 1k!!! OMG!!! DON'T GO BEYOND THE DOORS!!!

Some of the people I remember grouping with way back then, chatting with a lot and thinking, Hey, nice person, turned into real toads when they hit high levels, I never have figured that one out.
    Binkin Anklebane, Exemplar of Bristlebane
    click epic + CH + Virt = less mana than keeping you alive

Yeah, I don't like the new PoK system. It's a zone that can get you anywhere in the world as quickly as you want, you can buy all of the spells there, train in any class, and find a group. It was much better when you had to make the long run back to your hometown, and whenever you wanted to go somewhere you had that /who all druid /who all wizard hotkey. It was fun because you would learn the names of the regular taxis and get rides from them all the time. Back when druids were pieces of equipment.

I also miss the Short Sword of Ykesha. They used to be really nice weapons, and all the high level players would have them. Recently, someone just 'gave' my bard a ssoy (what I still call them), and thought it was trash. I was shocked, but I still feel uber when I hold it.
    Holymedic - templar of 55,000,000 crushbone belts

Bonecrushur - cler- I mean, "exotic paladin" of open mindedness

My first character was a warrior based on an age old D&D character of mine. I still have him, but he is only lvl 24 or so. He retired from adventuring and became my full-time smith. I remember levelling to Master Smith BEFORE the upgrade that allowed you to hold down the CTRL key to select just one of something from a stack, so every ingredient had to be clicked, dragged down to a value of 1, and then clickede again to OK. Man was that tedious, but in the end it paid off because I was making big money, I mean like 70p for a full suit of banded. I supported my wife's jewelling habit for ages.

I remember fighting in EC and getting picked off by one of the two constantly present griffins in the area. I also remember the time we were all scared to hell because we had to go and do a corpse retrieval at the orc camp ALL THE WAY OUT IN WEST COMMONS, because my brother had wandered off. Fortunately our bard friend was level 5 by then and had already gotton his Find Corpse song.

I also remember losing gear on one of my toons because I fell down the well in Befallen and there NO WAY for ANYONE to fight down to the bottom level so I could get my stuff back.

Ahhh the old days of early EQ discovery, when you cringed at your keyboard as you rounded every corner.

I think I'll go roll-up a newbie character and see if the remains of my rotting corpse are still down that well.

Xabu's Currently Boycotted Members of "The Establishment": Avondale Dodge, AQUACO, Best Buy, Danon Waters, Happy Sumo, Sparkletts

Hey Man! Here's my righteous gear! Hey is that RUST?!?!

Kaelin said in post #62 :
    I relish the fact that I started pre-sense heading 200,a free bag, and no corpse recovery.

Before maps, when the world was there to be explored!

To this day I am in awe of the fact that snakes can Kick!!

The days when a GM would help you; I miss Verant!

I remember Corpse Recovery's in Chardok and Plane of Growth!

Will never forget the friendships made, the bonds that keep us playing.

Or when someone out of the blue sends a tell and ask's Remember me?
    psh, isn't that like stuff from the last month?
    Holymedic - templar of 55,000,000 crushbone belts

Bonecrushur - cler- I mean, "exotic paladin" of open mindedness

Xabu said in post #67 :
    I remember levelling to Master Smith BEFORE the upgrade that allowed you to hold down the CTRL key to select just one of something from a stack, so every ingredient had to be clicked, dragged down to a value of 1, and then clickede again to OK. Man was that tedious, but in the end it paid off because I was making big money, I mean like 70p for a full suit of banded.

<ahem> My smithing skill is 87 i think.... an I NEVER KNEW ABOUT THAT!!!!

holy crap im gunna smith till my control button falls off !{jarvis}

okay, now to my real point. i remember when you would zone out of Freeport and try to get to West Commons to hunt willow wisps (if you were uber) or go to befallen to die a few times and getting Spammed so badly in EC that you couldnt cary on a conversation with a friend in another zone

/ooc WTS ITEM X stats are- Sta- X Str- X atack/delay X/X
    /ooc WTB ITEM ..... etc etc

wow i miss pre bazaar days.
    Battering Ramn
    50 Templar of Brell

The not-so-new n00b

Lol, how could I forget the days in EC...

I used to make tons of money just buying and selling there. The bazaar was my enemy!

Got EQ for christmas in 2001.. Started playing a druid on Seventh Hammer, got level 9 with full patchwork (self made) and a Tarnished Scimitar (also- self tarnished). Then I thought i would go try out Crushbone... So I make my way to Orc Hill where I see a full group sitting down, so I thought I would explore. So went up the hill and , about 7 orcs aggroed me, including the Orc Trainer.. Needless to say, I trained that whole group I mentioned before. Got so many tells bein mad at me I quit game for about a year and 9 months. Then cleaning out computer room, found my good old EQ CDs... Yes... The uber 3 pack of Regular/kunark/velious. Came to Drinal and love my Cleric since
    With this post..I am one post closer to Jarvis's post count!
    The Gnome's Gear

My funniest eq moment:

It was about 3am on a worknight and I was heading to Qeynos, I had been dozing off for the last hour. After being in EK for no more than a few minutes I fell asleep, I awoke to see the ground rushing up at me and I went splat hardcore lol. The worst part of the situation was the fact I had drooled down my arm and onto my desk so when I woke up I slapped that area with my arm trying to save my poor necro from imminent death....slobber went everywhere, screen, keyboard, shirt, mouse.....god I miss those days.
    Last edited by Granpa; 01-09-2004 at 07:48 AM.
    Reorx
    Cleric of Lucan D'Lere

Zerafine 65 Necro of Luclin (Retired)
    Granpa 67 Cleric of Stromm (Retired)
    Originator of the slogan "A Peridot is forever"

Battering said in post #69 :
    okay, now to my real point. i remember when you would zone out of Freeport and try to get to West Commons to hunt willow wisps (if you were uber) or go to befallen to die a few times and getting Spammed so badly in EC that you couldnt cary on a conversation with a friend in another zone
    Hah. I remember the first time I went through the tunnel in EC after the Bazaar finally went live. It was downright spooky, being the only toon in the tunnel. I can remember having to stop and backtrack to find a path between all the people that would pack in there and spam the zone with /auction trades.

I still get goosebumps now and then, on the rare occasion I need to run through there. There's just something nervewracking about being alone in there. I think I have EQ agrorophobia.
    Last edited by Evanya; 01-07-2004 at 12:22 PM.
    Evanya Fleurdemorte (wanna check out my stuff?)
    Level 58 Dark Elf Cleric of Innoruuk
    Silver Daggers, The Rathe

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Good to see so many memories.

I started playing right after Kunark came out. Switched servers some 5-6 months later, and some RL friends all rerolled new characters on Morell Thule. I thought I was so ubba getting my Bard to level 12 on Mith Marr that it would take me ages to get back to that level.
    Basalic, 61st Level Cleric of Brell Serilis
    Basalic's Gear

I remember how excited I was to get to the level to get rid of the damn spellbook while medding... and I worked so hard to get my sense heading up. I remember my first death falling in the Felwith pond... I couldn't get out and my character was drowning... the noise scared both my cats and they kept looking at me so concerned.

I remember how thrilled I was to finally get my bank account up to 100pp by fishing and selling rusty daggers. I remember getting cocky killing bats and skeletons in Gfay and deciding to try one of those pixies... splat! Cleric blood everywhere.

I remember the terror before going into the Velious zones.

When Luclin came out with the spires... that was so kewl to not need a druid to get somewhere... I would ride the spires for fun.

*sigh* It's been a while...

Dagdas Darlin
    60th Degree Princess Cleric