Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Early days! *rave*

Default Re: The Early days! *rave*

I remember when 2 wis rings were very cool...

I remember when a trip to High Hold Pass was scary.

I remember a bard running me from Qeynos, to Freeport, and being amazed at the size of the game.

I remember saving for my first few pieces of banded.

I remember when a Naggy/Vox raid was an insanely long process.

I remember rotations, respect for one another, and conversing about things in Roleplay.

I remember someone handing me a Admantite Espaulet at some point, and me almost being in tears because of the sheer wonderfulness of their kindness...

~Pent~

every time i play eq and a slow song comes on i really get to thinking about this alot.
    I keep thinking about all the old things i miss. All of the old people that i miss.
    I remember camping the silver axe in high hold pass with my bard friend renaldo.
    He was one of my best friends in everquest. Him and i used to just hang around and
    talk and kill things. His favorite saying was "eq is just a game of numbers, know the numbers, beat the game."

He quit EQ before kunark was released and i still think of him everytime i see a bard.

I remember hanging out in high hold pass with him the day he quit and i got his e-mail and everything,
    but time just seems to split things and you forget about people and things that shouldnt be forgotten.

i miss so much.

its all lost in a heartbeat.

gone forever.
    Velena the Silent Star

I started only last chrismtmas, pop was available but I didnt have or know about, having just the eq classic trial program. Have to say it was probably the most fun I had in this, running around Qeynos and its areas with Renaden. The atmosphere was friendlier also, as the trial program was on a magazine that had just come out, so we were a bunch of noobs all at the same time.
    Hehe there were some classic moments, the blackburrow gnoll trains, a member of the party accidently pressing 'a' when trying to talk to an npc, being scared half to death by a giant spider, unaware of what indifferent meant,and the universally feared Holly Windstalker. Think my favourite was when we were trying to kill a scarecrow in WK, for my newbie armour quest. It was going fine, the necros pet was tanking, and I was healing the pet, but alas, Tiny the troll spotted us, and wasn't too happy about it. Well at least we didnt get time to feel any pain lol.

Its odd, the whole game felt a lot smaller when I bought the pop expansion. Freeport didn't feel like a city that was a large trek away, the other continents were available in seconds. I enjoyed it at first, but now kind of long for the old days (er 7 months ag. maybe soe should make a server that doesnt have pop activated or something, I think it would be surprisingly popular.

OH, now that would be fun, a server with no pop .. i could enjoy that
    http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=737223

Heh I remember them too, My first cleric was off in the fozen wastes of Everfrost hunting Mammoth Calves and I got my first twink gear, a Velium Round Shield. It was the coolest thing on the planet till I got my Shiney Brass sheild. It did seem sooo huge, I remeber doing CR's in WK for hours hunting for my corpse before the maps came out. It is still a fun game but it is not the same game a started playing for sure
    Pratchett 44 Cleric
    Harefeet 54 Druid
    ShadowClaw
    Prexus

"I am Death, not taxes. I turn up only once." DEATH

I guess I have been playing (on and off) for about 2 years. My cleric is now in her 50s and I recently went to PoI for the 1st time. We went to the factory. It took me a while, but I eventually figured out what I was feeling!! Remember that nervous feeling in the pit of your stomach when you went to a zone you had never been in before, where you didnt know your way round, where you didn't know what would smack you? It was fantastic - so great to go to a zone I had never been before with this char or any of my otheres; and so great to know that feeling is still out there! Looking forward to the rest of the planes now

I've been playing since early 1999. I'd go back to do it all over again in a heartbeat. To experience all the new things again. (Maybe one reason I have all the alts I d

As a level 3 human warrior... Dunamis... I ventured into North Ro and found my way to the Inn and its protective guards. I would solo an armadillo or coyote... and while sitting and resting I would listen in fascination to the shouts and requests from people wanting others to join them for a Dervish group. Dervish? That same evening there was a group wanting more people to join them at the "plat". Sending a tell I awkwardly ask them if I could come to the plat. Sure.. we need a tank. (Tank?) Oh, Im a warrior..... They asked me to come on over. "Ive never been to the plat before" Oh.. well... maybe later.... (Oh how I miss the days of people wanting to GROUP to kill scarabs and spiders at the plat) So I received a tell from two more warriors to join them. With my focus on following the guy in front of me I had no idea where I had gone from the Inn, and being seperated got lost and ran into a Puma... it was ugly. 10 mins later after I had zoned in ( I ran a way slow PC with a dial up then) I went looking for my body....literally sweating I ran over hill after hill loooking... (I had been given 18pp and thought I was sooo rich I just HAD to find my body) It was again getting dark, so I see a group people near a tent... hmm this must be a "Derv group". (Consider?) I run up and say "Hail, A Dervish Cutthroat"... no reply. Hail him again... then I ask "have you seen my corspe anywhere near here?"

Finally I met a great cleric frined that showed me a few ropes and got me on the right track to leveling and grouping. Orc camps in east common, so hard to get into... groups of level 5's struggling to kill all the adds, yet having the time of our little lives. Fought with the same group of people (roughly) for my first Derv camp (oh these are the bad guys) and stayed up for my first all nighter. Madde at least 25pp that night... man what a haul!

I will never forget my first sight of a Hill Giant in West Commons. Id heard rumor of them, and heard others run from them, but not until I ventured to the Toll Booth had I ever seen one. Fascinating.

At level 17 I decided I needed a magic weapon. I sold everything I had on me, plus emptied the bank for a Shiny Brass Halbred for 150pp, and the guy SWORE he was giving it away! I spent the next two and half weeks killing wisps and selling the GLS for 3pp 8gp... (What... quest in NK?)

Geared up now after all the hundreds of wisps that had returned GLS, we moved on to HH pass. So scary. I wanted back out into the "safety" of Kithicor. Here I hunted with the same group I had been until about the time we all got our surnames. We were too cool. Then to the Bird villiage of SK. How many can remember there actually being severl full groups hunting there?

I ramble and am sorry... this was such a fun thread to read. So many stories to tell.

but time just seems to split things and you forget about people and things that shouldnt be forgotten.
    The mood I felt after reading your posting I think echoes what I feel the most about the game and how things and people have changed. Perhaps one of the saddest realizations of all was /telling a friend you use to group with all the time and saying "hi, where/how've you been?" and then after an awkward pause... receiving a tell back that "oh I'm sorry this isnt that person.... I'm... playing this character now". I was so sickened to my stomach. And it wasnt the last time that had happened.

"The best of EQ is behind us now?.. are the good times really over for good"?

Raphe Mkaddesh 43 Cleric
    Inertia Dunamahee 62 Mage
    Stoops Switzer 53 Druid

i talk crap alot, to alot of people.

some that deserve it and alot that dont.

Sometimes i forget that we all have memories from the things we do, some good.
    some bad. But i guess what makes us human is that we have them together.

click here for rememberance.

this is one of the guilds i have been in, let the page load and turn your sound up.

I wish some of you here could have been through these moments with me.
    But i'm sure you have had them together with other people.

It was worth the trip, and it makes me sad that i cant do it again with those people.
    Velena the Silent Star

The best of EQ is behind us now?.. are the good times really over for good
    Yes, the wonder of the world is forever lost.

I've been playing EQ since the release of SoV. We all seem to enjoy many of the same memories. The long runs accross Anontica to get from FP to Qeynos just to see what it looked like.

However, my favorote experiance would have to be my first dungeon. Split Paw. I couldn't tell you if it was revamped at this point or if that happened way before I came along but I was so scared. I was a playing a wizard at the time and was so excited to actually be in a dungeon! I can't even tell you what the other circumstances around me where (group memebers or levels) all I know is that I was actually in a dungeon. Ended up camping the BR for a few hours and thinking to myself, to hell with this, I wanna go check out the rest of this place cause its so cool! Nope, that didn't work. Going though that double door was bad.

On the other side of things, I now play on Stromm to try to relive some of that newbishness. Hasn't worked too well as I now have 3 characters above level 40 in the short 3 months that the server has been opened. I wish Sony would open a server that only had The old world active on it, only allowed to Level to 50 and all that...Just like it used to be including manastones and whatnot. Take away all the revamps and just make it the old way and then gradually reintroduce the expansions again. I would jump on that server and play there in a heart beat as I'm sure alot of you would too.

One of my first fond memories of EQ, was playing my teenage magician at the island in Erud's Crossing, with a bunch of other people all in a rotation on those wisps. GLSs were a fabulous treasure at the time. What are we supposed to do with them? Someone says something about a gypsy lady in North Karana. Where the heck is North Karana? When I have a few bags full of these things, I offer some bard a GLS to show me where this place is. Along the way I see massive fire beetles, huge spiders, something called a treant, then WHAM.. both of us pounded into the ground by a Hill Giant. After recoving corpses and scanning the area for dangers, we proceed along the path (sticking religiously to the path, mind you) to North Karana, and I rake in a treasure trove of 500pp!

One other thing I wanted to say.. I have every screenshot I've ever taken since I first found out how to make them. From the first shot when my <10 enchanter was toilet-hugging drunk at the pier in Qeynos, to the shot of my cleric hitting 65, thousands of memories to be enjoyed and relived. It's a lot like looking over an old family photo album.

I have been playing this game for a while.... Not quite before Kunark but before Velious. I have yet to make it past lvl 27

I kinda miss the days of hanging out in EC tunnel and fighting orcs while looking at the auctions. It was strangely fun to wait in line for someone to show you what they had to sell. AND WHAT ABOUT OLD SHADY?! HOW DO YOU THINK HE FEELS ABOUT BAZAAR? imagine how lonely he is /sigh

I also remember the first time i saw my friend play. He had the little iksar newbie war weapon with 8 dmg 40 dly. WHen i saw him hitting for 16, i thought WHOA THATS AWSOME! So i got EQ a month later and made a iksar war. I promptly fell in a moat and couldn't escape. I camped underwater and deleted that guy forever. /dead

THe old days could be sooooo fun, but it is more efficient now. o well now EQs a new game

btw if you play on innoruuk send Slowdjoo or Saeven a tell if you want to join the super guild, Olath Van'lerg. We accept anyone!
    hmmmm 2 years without makin' it past 30.... is something wrong with me?

I'll never ever forget, the first quest I ever completed, and to this day the hardest (relatively) I've ever done.

I was a young enchanter at the time, one of my first trial characters. A high elf. And some guy asked me to deliver the mail to Kelethin! Mind you, I was still at the point in the game where I wasn't sure who was an NPC or a player or a GM. Nonetheless, I was determined to help this guy out!

I got out the cloth map and it showed me where Kelethin was relative to ... hmm where am I ... oh yea it says Felwithe. I started in Felwithe. Hmm, thats here, Kelethin is ... here . It only took a couple hours to get there. Had a little trouble with an orc on the way, then had to re find my body with that guys note ! Oh man, I was getting nervous. This guy asked me to help him and his note was somewhere in the forest!

Once I made it, I got on one of the lifts and went up. I started asking (via /say) people if they had seen [the guys name]. Most of them wouldn't talk to me, how rude! . Another player heard me asking the guards and stuff and stopped and told me about the colors of people's names. He also told me Purple was PVP and those people hanging out near the Priest of Discord were waiting to initiate me in to the gang if I turned in my book, a tale I believed for a very long time until I actually made a character to try turning in the book with.

I eventually got there, and I believe I got enough gp out of the deal to buy a large bag (6 slots, toot!)

[70 Cleric] Candarie the Healer <Triality> of Maelin Starpyre
    ~ Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway. ~

i remember a long long time ago, when a full set of bronze was as urber as they came, when the pod was unbeatable, not soloable, when romours of vox and naggy where nothing more then romours, when everyones main wepon was a rusty one. I remember walking into zones and not knowing what you were going to face in the zone what to kill and what not to kill. I remember no twinks, no insults and no one calling anouther person a newb, because then we were all newbs. I remember getting excited at new spell sets, not complaining at how bad they are even before you have the spells. i remember the good old days when men were men and clerics were well clerics.....

Sinadorina
    65 cleric

I started out playing a druid (MDaisy) back in the first days of Brell. I remember a young man that gave me some stuff, if I agreed to play with his character. I used some of the items up until almost 50 (Brown Chitlin stuff and some wis jewery). Being able to port to all those different locations. Having the crap beat out of me in wolf form, ALL the players in EC Tunnels selling stuff. The joy of completing my first quest. Buffing newbies and having them come back for more... joining my first guild (Mystic Defenders of Faydark)... I do miss those times. Remember when you needed groups to be balanced in order to really have fun... now we just solo
    Daesy Dadoktor
    61 Cleric on Brell
    My Gear