Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Early days! *rave*

Default Re: The Early days! *rave*

The first character I made was a gnome mage. First time going to the newbie area, and as I peak over the edge into the pit this green flash steamrolls me. I respawn and find out it was the named troll. That was a first freakout. Your nightmare story reminded me of it Dyschord.

... almost makes me shed a tear remembering.

I started when EQ was released. I had some friends at work who were in beta and bought it the day it came out. They convinced me a few days after to buy in and give it a shot. So there I was, a Dark Elf Shadowknight wandering around Neriak. I could never remember where the bank was LOL Burnished WHAT?? Ohhh it's down the steps here by that bar.. got it. Wait wait where is the bank again?!?!? hahaha never forget that.

Money.. what a huge problem money was back then. I save up every copper for WEEKS so I could by a "Scythe" from a vendor in Neriak for 15 plat! My cursor hovered over the "Buy" button for a few minutes before I committed myself to spending that much money. Level 9, with a sweet scythe and patchwork gear that my buddy made for me with his shaman. I was ready for the BIG game... the lesser mummy would be MINE! No such luck

One of my fondest memories in EQ is also from those days. When I finally reached level 15 and got my second set of spells, my shaman buddy and his girlfriend (mage) and I decided we were gonna get saucy. I'd been a huge fan of Lavastorm.. with the creepy music and cool looking mobs.. so it was time we set foot in Najena!! Ohhh the horrors that we were to face! We went in and there was another ubergroup already farther in so some of the stuff was cleared. We took a few skeletons and elementals out, inflating our egos. NOTHING could stop us.. we were invincible. So we get in a little farther and the rooms are empty. By this time the mage and shaman needed to med for a bit so we found this corner with a pile of dirt in it to hide behind in case anything came for us. hahaha hide behind the pile of dirt... we REALLY thought this worked. I decided to stand guard and keep a lookout since they couldnt see anything with their spellbooks up. Sure enough, around the corner comes this group.. training Tentacle Terrors to the zone. OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING NUKING THEM!!! Holy CRAP that thing is freaky. My friends stood up and were freaking out. They'll be back for us! What do we do?? It's ok.. its cool, we're behind the pile of DIRT!! They cant see us here. Minute or so later.. the Tentacle Terrors come back.. slithering past our room. Nothing aggros! We're HOME FREE! The second we go to move, the Tentacle Terror in the room we were in spawns and eats the mage for breakfast. The shaman and I are hightailing it to zone and run into an ogre who stunned me .. both wound up dying. Hhaah what a corpse retrieval that was

I soon gave up my shadowknight Tried out a Druid.. they could melee and heal and cast spells.. and got SOW!! WOW! So many stories.. so little time to tell them

Maybe we should have a forum just for old school EQ stories hehe have it divided into "Classic EQ" "Kunark Era" "Velious"

OMG the day Kunark came out hahah I'll save those stories for next time

i started a druid way back in 99 on my buddies advice, and he specified: Make it a female" Why, i asked. You will get free stuff, lol. so i did Now came the hard part. going from Gfay to Misty thicket. He tells me i need to go there to level up. At the old age of lvl4 i decided to make the long trek to butcherblock , and the even longer trek across the ocean. I swear that first ocean voyage was the best. just to see how nice they laid out the scenery was just cool I made it to E FP, then proceeded to ask someone kind enough to show me the way to EC, thank god someone did. It was a beautiful day, and OMG there was actually a path to follow! So i walked along the path enjoying the scenery, zoned over to WC, and wow , another path. all was well till i was squished under the foor of a hill giant. lucky for me , the person who showed me out of freeport , made me promise to get a bind.

>>fast foward>> so i finally got to Rivervale where my friend met me. wow, he was lvl 13 enchanter, so very uber! he gave me 2 wisdom rings and a FULL SET of leather armor, i was in shock. ran around Misty and leveled up....wound up running back and fighting in EC orc groups, and derv camps ....bah i am boring myself

i will save more stories for later!

Emergencee Tra'Madok
    Emergencee Tra'Madok
    Loyal cleric of da Sl00T Tunare
    (well, till the beyotch drops my phat lewts)
    Lover of troll and dark elf hotties

I've seen your Nightmare in Lavastorm as well, Dyschord. It was near the entrance to Najena.
    Retired

So here I am level 11, my buddie says he has discovered an awesome place called befallen. He says that as a duo Necro team we can kick some skeletons butt named Llrodd. So I proceed to make the trek to Freeport. The trip there is a story in itself, I will save it for another time. Anyways, I make it to Freeport and my buddy starts leading us to Befallen (another story). We make it there and safely make it to Llrodd, this "UBER" skeleton who I just know is gonna kill us both. We proceeded to wipe the floor with his leg bone and all was well. Did I say "well"? Yup, as some of you may know, there is a well in the room with Llrodd that takes you all the way to the third floor. So, I am curious and I slowly slide up on the edge of the well so I can maybe get a glimpse of the even more "UBER" mobs down there. So, all is well and I am amazed at what I see walk past, when all of a sudden I fall down and get face to face with the meanest looking DE I had ever seen. Long story short I proceeded to run having no idea where to go, not knowing the only way up is with keys or a rogue/bard with pick lock. My guild showed up in force to help me try and retrieve my corpse that had all that "UBER" gear (cloth). Needless to say, many many deaths later I had to allow all that hard earned gear to rot. It almost made quite EQ forever.

Several months later I went back to Befallen and for the mere pleasure of killing EVERY mob in the zone for stealing my (cloth) gear! It sure made me feel good. But losing that hard earned gear will be something I will never forget.

Started playing with my two friends at college who both started Erudites, so I started a Human since I wanted to play druid. Well, we're all bound in or near Qeynos and hunting in Blackburrow when my friend says "Let's go to Everfrost. It's a newbie zone, it won't be too hard and it'll be fun."
    After being lost for ages in the chasms, we finally come out to the field and proceed to get attacked by an orc trooper. Thing almost kills us, and then a second jumps us and we can't get away. None of us knew what /loc was, so we ran back and started running around looking. After finding the bodies and dying again trying to get back, and then dying a couple more times along the way, I completely snapped at my friend for taking us there.

"WE ARE *NOT* going somewhere more than two zones away again!"
    Only the exceptions can be exceptional.

Friends don't let friends do tradeskills. (tm)

What about dying in Solb to have your corpse disappear only to be found inside a wall or across the zone by a GM.. ahhhh the good ole days!
    Linnyen

My most memorable moment is going to Unrest for the first time and within 15 min having my entire group die, leaving me all alone in the basement. Oom and a HUGE train coming my way. It was beautiful. I got a screenshot just before I gated with 2% life left.

ke.

I didnt start playing til May of 2001 but I have been playing ever since.
    Anyhoo, I remember when I had first made my ranger and wanted to make my from Gfay to Castle Mistmoore. (I had heard it was good experience.) I followed the path until....LOADING, PLEASE WAIT. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, there are ambushing brownies waiting for unsuspecting rangers trying to make their way to new experiences. I remember I was freakin' out because I didnt have a clue where I was or how I was going to get my corpse back. My BF at the time finally after dying 3 times himself was able to find and retrieve my corpse.
    I also remember taking the boat from Butcherblock Mountains to Freeport and running from Freeport all the way to Surefall glades for a spell because I didnt know any Druids nor did I have the plat to pay for a port. And I ran sowless the entire way. And considering the time period, I made the entire run to and from without dying. I was a happy camper that day.
    Waking Dadead
    54th Froglok Vicar of Mithaniel Marr

<RP off for this one>
    Mmmmm, my first "real EQ experience / memory"

My first charater was a Warrior, a Wood Elven female. Stupid to make a Wood Elf Warrior? Well my RL friend said to pick the race first, then the class. Wood Elves were cute and I didn't understand factions, so I stayed clear of the evil races...

I had been playing about 2 months and in this very small family guild, the "upper" lvls of the guild wanted to go raid ToFS. *sigh* In my low 30's, I was told not to worry, that I would love the "raiding" exp. The joke here, ladies and gents was that the raid was never meant to go beyong possibly the 3rd floor of ToFS. Our highest lvl player attending was lvl 50, I believe and an enchanter. A smattering of 45-55's, all other raiders that afternoon were 30-45.

Anyway, I couldnt figure out how to "click" to get to the next lvl of ToFS when it was time to move on. Being a total newb to the idea of "click zoning" I was upset that I didnt have a key (whatever that was, hehe). Someone in my group however did and they clicked for the group. I remember the panic when the group was a touch out of my reach and zoned up to the next floor without me. The calm chanter near me told me to leave my group (omg, leave my group? nooo! i'll die!) and join him, he would key-click us through and I could re-join my group on the other side.

I remember the joy in running around, chasing after every mob in the Library smiling and shreaking at the same times.

*sigh* Sadly, I never learned this zone well. I'll have to go back soon.

Ok the other day, I took a friend of mine who is new to EQ to befallen. I had made a Bard to play with him. Anyways, as in my above post about Befallen I decided to take him to the Llrodd camp. Needless to say, I KNEW he was gonna check out the well and I KNEW he was gonna fall in. OMFG, I laughed so hard, I actually hard tears in my eyes. I got my rogue and went down and drug him back up. He sent me a tell after he died and said, "you knew I was gonna do that didn't you?!" Anyway, here is a screen cap I wanted to share.. Man do times like this bring back fond memories.. I just love to remember how we had nothing and thought we had SOMETHING when we got our first piece of cloth or our first Fine Steel sword.. Sadly there aren't many players who ever really experience that part of the game. I made my youngest son start a new character on another server so he could appreciate and understand what I went through so his level 55 twinked out from day one warrior, could have what he has. After about 4 days and only 5 levels, he says "Dad, I think I get it now, I will try harder not to take so much for granted" Well then I felt bad but was glad he understood. Anywho, here's the pic and I will shut up now.

Oh my...let's see....do I dare admit this?

A young barbarian steps into Blackburrow for the first time. Hey! I'm in cloth, I have a massive rusty 2 handed sword, I can kill some puny gnolls. Hey, these are goin down so easy! Hey, I wonder what's in this tree......

So after realizing I would never get my vast riches back, I rolled my cleric. Took revenege many times for my fallen barbarian. Grew to a most powerful level of 18 levels and decided it was time to find this den of undead called Unrest that i had heard of. Now mind you, I had never once used my internet for anything other than EQ, so trying to find a map was unheard of! So through rumor, I hopped on the boat and started searching for this fabled dungeon I had heard so much of.

Well, I found the tunnel in question, the red glow causing me no end of excitement. However the end of the tunnel was solid rock! I just knew Unrest HAD to be here! Must be some trick to zone in....

I petitioned thinking of course the game was bugged. The guide showed up and asked what the problem was. I told him my predicament and he simply told me to hang on. *BLINK* I was now standing at the crossroads in Butcherblock Mountains!

"Unrest is somewhere near here. Don't forget to bind. Unrest is NOT off of Toxx Forest." The guide promptly vanished without another word.

Ah yeah.....them were the days.

Gedd
    10 Cleric of Rodcet Nife
    Torvonnilous
    End the oppression! Human clerics unite!

Gedd said in post #27 :
    &quot;Unrest is somewhere near here. Don't forget to bind. Unrest is NOT off of Toxx Forest.&quot; The guide promptly vanished without another word.
    Ah! Pre-Paineel! Those were the Really Early Days!

"Oh merciful Tunare, even though I have personally rammed a sword into your oversized breast and looted your broken corpse about 3 times this month alone, please grant me the ability to heal faster! I offer you this piece of crap item I looted off an orc I was able to kill blindfolded. I hope you like it."
    Dobbanz on Lanys, discussing the new Tribute System

My first char was a DE SK but I couldnt seem to get past level 2 so I gave up on him pretty quickly..... Renic was born, a Bertoxxulous cleric, I liked the idea of an evil cleric of disease. Little did i Know at the time the hassles his faction would cause, hated by non humans for being human, hated by humans for being a berty follower. Faction like being a necro... Ive cursed it many a time since but wouldnt change it for the world....

We had not long started a guild, we had no idea what a guild was really for and we only had about 10 members (you didnt even need 10 members in those days). We used to raid Blackburrow as a guild, and have 25people murdering gnolls, we felt so uber.......

Remember grouping in the Gorge of King Xorb pre any expansions (sp?)..... We ranged from about level 17 to 24 (Uber!) and were fighting Minotaurs...... Funnily enough it was the same cleric I started to play again recently after almost 2 years not playing........................

So we are pulling minotaurs, and our lil druid friend is pulling them to the zone to that goblin zone (is that still there?)..... The first time we saw these we nearly crapped ourselves, they were twice our height and hit so hard... we couldnt believe monsters were so big and tough....

So back to our druid puller, in all honesty he wasnt that great at pulling, usually came waddling back with 2 or 3 in tow, we would all run around screaming, hearts pounding. Skin of our teeth we win a few excellent exciting battles......... Why we didnt get the Paladin to pull I will never know.....

So for an hour or so we do this....... Then something we have never seen before, a huge floating eye, OMG! We all panic, and get a little worried, hopefully it didnt see us (not likely with that eye!)..... The druid runs back towards us, the eye in slow pursuit...... Oh no we are going to have to fight it after all... We curse him for pulling it. Erm why is our little friend hitting me, hey ow, how are you ouch!!!!! Quick kill him lads (and lasses).... We murdered our halfie friend without a thought and then got murdered by the eye and a charmed paladin......... It was scary but most of all it was hilarious... I laughed for ages after..... Ahh the good old days....

I remember at level 9 getting bored with Qeynos and deciding to make a run for it, now sow nothing. I had no idea what was there, my dodgy map that came with EQ suggested that somewhere called Highhold was somewhere out there. So I started running, got half way across WC and a big cat turned me into catfood.... I had to get my corpse, uber bronze mace (some uber guy in all bronze had given it to me!) and leather armour could not be sacrificed! So i got the corpse, and made my way carefully and painstakingly across WC, NK, EK etc and up the ramps into HHP..... Kindly player, asks what I am doing here, I say I fancied a change and would like to get bound so I dont have to run all the way back. He binds me at some inn and I go for a wander... Ahh a gnoll I know what they are......... Oh its RED... Nm wander some more.... Erm its all red...... Bad mistake, Im stuck in a nasty place..... I want to go home to Qeynos....

I am from the Kunark days ~ when a dwarven axe was awesome and everybody wanted black alloy...and people said thank you when you helped them./yes
    Megz Chasingcats~Retired
    Faerune, Elven Druid of Firiona Vie