Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The Early days! *rave*

Default Re: The Early days! *rave*

no no, if you can truly remmebr ethe excitement of EQ when you first played it, hearing the music start up, getting the initial twinge of adrenaline as you sat down with you cup of coffee, or soda or pop ( depending on location ). Being able to remember the excitment of running out of the gates of east freeport and seeing through human eyes, the storm roll in, your vision getting obscured and thinking wow!! this is soooo Coool!!!.. looking around for something to kill and getting jumped by your first orc pawn.. lol and trying valiantly to fight him off, only to see him start hittign you harder and your life dropping faster then you'd believe..

Running to your newbie ground gaurds, and seeing them casue massive dmg to a lvl 1 mob.. and sitting down on your arse to heal up.. taking forever it seemed, only to run back up to do it all over again.

Getting your first Gate, or Portal to another continent, as a melee. having no maps to hit your backspace key with to see where you were, or where you wanted to go to kill.

as a caster trying to learn techniques for soloing, or grouping.. lol. i learned he basics of quading from a person in lfay playing an alt ranger.. ( impressive 4 1/2 years back )

having that twinge of nervousness when you went to explore a new zone all alone.. the dread of going LD at night in Kithicor * Shudders*, going LD in the Grey *Cringe * trying to learn your way around LGuk alone.. lol seeing the Griff in EC and watching him tear ppl down right before sundown to see the nightfall giant pop to take out the two toll both guards..

but i'd say one of my favorite moments back then was going Treeform with my druid, in the center of the Gfay newbie ground ( on karana) and casting buffs and heals and regens ( no DS ) on all the younging's i could.. and then porting out before they had a clue where i was hiding

I remember when i loged on eq for the first time, being in freeport and being around those GMs. it was so cool. Then i fell in the moat around there and dident know how to look up, i was so eager to play eq i dident read the manuale. then i had to findmy way back to the guild hall lol.
    All shall bow to the Nameless and his son.

Zackoria Holyfire lv.20 Cleric (Hobbit)
    Gatheria Shadowmancer lv.46 Necro
    Natheria lv.46 Enchanter (high elf)
    (Brione is no longer my cleric)

looking at what Granpa said about the first 6 months of eq, i couldnt agree more.

the CD's i listened to when playing my lvl 10 enchanter in Nro are my favorite playlists on my ipod now. the sights and the sounds and the shere excitement of that point in the game will stay with me forever.

making earings with +2sta, rings with +2agi, soloing scarabs and running from dry bones as fast as possible.

the uberness os Sow

oasis being the scaries place on the map

binding in the Nexus so i could get (seemingly) ANYWHERE in NOTIME flat.

my first trip to the bazaar

making my cleric and jumping out of the window in the crushbone tower when my first group started dying.

omfg.... a last name!!@!31@!!212

you mean i done have to look at that STUPID spell book anymore!?

i play eq2 now and i miss the simple things. the running animations, the graphics in my spell book or buff window, the way Dawnshroud looked from the GE enterance, camping for temp then buffing in Pok for a month to by a drogmor.

but then again, i tend to block out the losing my first character, undinging spell levels, corpse runs to crystal caverns

i sure as hell dont miss

/ooc Hey, i know this vendor is supposed to have my spell, but where on floor 7 of the library IS he!?

if my account still existed and my characters were still there, i would trade eqlive for Wow or eq2 any day of the week.
    Battering Ramn
    50 Templar of Brell

The not-so-new n00b

AAaaa....the good old days.

I still remember when I logged on to my fathers paladin (a mighty lvl 15 at that time) and had him wiped out by dark elf guards. I eventually got his stuff back.....after being grounded for a week..........................

Lender Adverto
    ~Starting fresh~

*I am nobody*
    >Nobody is perfect<
    Therefore....
    -I am perfect-

I started in Jan 2000. Making a human ranger, being terrified walking out of guild area and going to Qeynos noobie zone. Seeing the evil wandering necro npc at night and dying. Got her to level 14 before I gave up. Mixed classes had an exp penalty, she should have been 19 or 20. Spent 2 months playing her. *sigh*

Getting killed by Griffons in Karanas. Munched up by Grimfeather. Finally getting my druid to level 48 and soloing Grim! woot!

First day Kunark opens , ported into DL, levi and running over mountains to try & find KC. Finally getting high enough to hunt in KC. Getting killed 1x run to FV, no knowing about the vil necor over there! lol.

SOV - running from spawn/port spot, running while hugging zone line to make it to ice bridge! Praying invis would not drop, seeing bodies lying around left for CR! hehee

Falling off the boat, following boat & searching for zone line, ehehe.

On my cleric, questing the new gold armor cause it looked so cool!

I just came back after a 2.5 year break. It's different, yet the same {rolleyes}

A lot of interesting, talented people are still here and it's stil a time sink - but a fun one! lol.
    Last edited by Sinnaer; 06-26-2005 at 04:08 PM.

Here is some thing that will give u a chuckle. When plane of power first came out, some one in nektols forest was shouting where can i buy a Pok book? naturaly I then wanted a POK book.
    Huggz and Kisses

Great stories! Ahhhh nothing like your first day in Norrath...I used to spend hours watching my boyfriend and his friends play EQ. I would walk into the living room and there they were, three computers lined up and all having a grand time. Well, for Xmas that year, I got my own EQ account! I was soooo nervous. KK, the truth be told? My sense of direction? I dont have one! I was so terrified of getting lost, or dying, and not finding my corpse. So, my solution? When I would sign on and have to play alone? A new toon was created! Yep! That is what I did. That way I could stay in Qeynos and never leave, and no corpse runs for me.... I got brave one night and ventured to the Karanas where we played together. Running through the Karanas I am suddenly dead! .."You have been slain by an Orc Priestess"...I thought "OMG", what now??? I ran back and stood at the zone line...willing my corpse to my side...didnt happened. Next day I told my boyfriend, I died somewhere close to where we used to run through and told him what has killed me. He laughed and knew exactly where in those mountains my corpse layed. Sighhhh...since then, and the maps, I am confident to roam pretty much anywhere...Who says EQ is not educational?? I can now read maps..:P And my toons? Kumdaana, my barbarian bst is now 60, Irradari, my Erudian cleric is now 63, etc...for a total of 7 toons and a mule.

Oh those good old days....
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the Night...
    "Sarah Williams"

I remember my uncle being on beta and letting me play...hehehe i remember when i didnt have enough money to buy the food from the vendors so i went out and killed stuff in freeport on my human cleric. So i saved up enough money to try fishing adn than i remember a lvl 25 cleric VERY UBER!!! wanted to retire so she gave me her stuff which included 25 plat!!!!!!!! which than that was like WOW!!!! and i remember giving one of my friends in the game 2 play off of that and her going are yu sure i mean this is alot of money and all ....lol....i kind of miss those days
    Silviena Mordhowen
    Povar

Silviena said in post #145 :
    I remember my uncle being on beta and letting me play...hehehe i remember when i didnt have enough money to buy the food from the vendors so i went out and killed stuff in freeport on my human cleric. So i saved up enough money to try fishing adn than i remember a lvl 25 cleric VERY UBER!!! wanted to retire so she gave me her stuff which included 25 plat!!!!!!!! which than that was like WOW!!!! and i remember giving one of my friends in the game 2 play off of that and her going are yu sure i mean this is alot of money and all ....lol....i kind of miss those days

*giggles*
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the Night...
    "Sarah Williams"

Heh anyone remember the old message "your game has been saved" ? when it saved every 60 seconds or some such, and told you so? I noticed not to long ago that the message had gone away, I honestly cant remember when it did. I remember being in my very first fight ever, sitting next to my husband (he had started a few weeks before I did, and talked me into it) and yelling OMG I just saved! if I die Im screwed! (now think, all the games I had played had been D&D type roleplaying on the computer, like bauldersgate ect, and if you save during a fight you come back, during a fight, I had no idea that saving was saving just the zone, character level ect that you were at at that time not the same as D&D at all) then having him stiflle laughter as he explained it all to me. anyone know when the "your game has been saved" dissapeared?
    There are no roses on a sailor's grave. No lilly's on an ocean wave. The only tribute are the seagulls' sweeps, and the teardrop that a sweetheart weeps

Our prayers and best wishes to those on patrol, and the loved ones they left behind. May their surfaces be equal to their dives.

Serianna 70 Enchanter.
    Ziuanna 70 Cleric.
    Vasianna 53 Rogue.
    Lewin 70 Ranger.
    Fatesetter 70 warrior

I love this thread. While I did not start that early, I did start about a month or two after Luclin had just come out.

I remember getting my first glimpse of the game when I was at a store that had a LAN setup to play games on. I remember playing Half-life back on 2000 and seeing this guy on a computer next to me playing EQ. I was like woooaah, what is that? He says Everquest. Never heard of it but it looked soooo cool, he was playing I think a High Elf in Kelethin. Think he told me that you needed a good system and had to pay a monthly fee. It took him probably five minutes to zone because those computers were so old. He would literally restart the computer, log back into EQ so he could be in the new zone.

Anyways, I didn't give it much thought after that, but one day I was at a Best Buy looking around and noticed EQ. Hey cool I remember this, I have the money, I have a computer that can run it decently (without Luclin models) so I get the triolgy and Luclin. Couldn't wait to install and play it. Called one of my best friend's he was also into computers, had heard all the hype about EQ, he was nearly as excited as I was and he's like, play a Troll Warrior! So of course I start one thinking this guy looks cool as hell, even naked with a starting sword. I wanted to play him so badly but I could never find my way out

Couple hours laters, think I was working on a Wood Elf Bard since he could actually move around outside, I was going to settle on him. He could eventually find my own or other people's corpses, awesome! I still hadn't any clue as to what I was doing and I was frustrated. I called up another of my best friends and told him I got EQ. He wasn't into games yet, but he was like cool. I told him how hard this game was. He was like man, just give it time and you'll get the hang of it. Took his advice and played every since. Unfortunately none of my RL friends got into EQ

I actually missed that learning curve, when you had to learn A LOT of stuff, not just having pointed out to you. It was a nice sense of accomplishment. Maybe it's still there in a form, I couldn't tell you now. Well, I better save some stuff for later, this is long enough, I like to type hehe.

Ok, like I stated before I started pretty much right after Luclin came out. I tried a TON of race/class combos. Most of them never made it out of their starting cities because I lacked a sense of direction.
    The first one that I actually wanted to play was a Barb Rogue. I got him out to Everfrost and leveled him to level 4. Some generous person gave me leather armor! man was I uber I thought. One day I got the courage to explore, do not ask me how, but I managed make it to the West Karanas without dying. Well I found some "friendly" Bandits just chillin at a tent I believe. Awesome, i'll go over and hail them to see what's up. Needless to say I was one confused and scared newb when they shouted something at me and promptly killed me. Doh, I have no idea where my body is and I just lost all that awesome leather armor. I camped and deleted him.

I still wish I had him today, it's just not the same if I "remade" him today. Anyways I settled on High Elf Wizard. Cool, I can actually find my way out of this place, he can make big booms and teleport people later! I teamed up with a Druid often, currently one of my best buds. Reaching around level 15 or so and mobs in Crushbone starting to green out, doh better find someplace else. Eventually I was told about the incredible exp in PC, after that I went to HHK and I still remember having to wait hours on a list for a spot to open, but again the Exp was insane!

I joined a little family guild and became good friends with most of them. Sadly I don't think anyone of them play anymore But I remember the good times about our Guild Leader telling me about how he wanted to raid Chardok, Old Seb, Lower Guk, and TOFS, maybe a few other places and got me all hyped up about them. I still remember my first visit with that guild and I had a blast. We camped the Ancient Croc in Lower Guk. First little raid in Chardok and working out way up to 7th level in TOFS. Those were my best of times.

Also the I kinda enjoyed the boats since I could just sit there and think or read in RL while waiting to get off. My first solo kill at level 50 of Allaswarus or whatever that Lizard is called in OOT. My first pre-revamp PoHate raid, I got invited because some other guild raid needed another Wizard to help with the transports even though I was still like 50 or lower hehe. The terribly long CR after that. My first PoFear raid, wiping on ZI. PoFear was just freaky.

Knowing that I was able to get to almost any place very quickly while other people had to use boats or Luclin Spires
    Getting killed in EC from that NPC Dark Elf. Man was I pissed, I was all telling someone about how some A-hole Dark Elf player keeps killing me. Well took me a little bit after that to figure out it was a named NPC hehe.

One day a Druid I think took me and another chick on on a little tour through DreadLands. OMG we were scared out of our minds. Seeing all those Deep-Dark Dripping Bloodiest of the Bloody Red conned Spiders and Drovargs. Walking through the mobs while cresting a hill with white knuckles knowing that if our invis failed we were dead 20 times over. I dare say I was more scared than my first PoFear raid. Still wish I remembered that Girls name we hung out several times while leveling, she was cool.

I remember leveling my alt Mage in Dreadlands one day when Mages and Necros were complete social outcasts because they always got incredibly insane EXP soloing and rarely grouped, no one knew their power yet. Someone /OOC'd they wanted Wizard. I /OOC back and ask "why not a mage? They have the second largest nukes and kick arse pets". Few seconds go by and the same guy /OOC'd Looking for a Wizard or Mage. I felt good hehe.

I just miss the Pre-PoP days when I was still vastly learning the game and being a Wizard meant you were a God. At least to me it did. By that time floods of expansions were starting to come out, it took forever to solo on my Wizard because of all the HP's mobs had. My mage couldn't solo because they chewed his pet alive ugh. I do miss the old days of fun I had with all those friends that I made and most are now gone /sigh
    I'm your friendly Cleric with 2 swords and heal potions =D

I rememebr a good friend of mine telling me " man you gotta start playing this EverQuest game" and describing how deep the game was. I just thought it was another role playing RPG type game like Final Fantasy or something , I had no idea it was as deep as he was making it out to be. I kept putting it off untill 1 day he showed up at my house with a brand new copy of the 1st expansion all the way up to Luclin. He said " here Im tired of waitin for ya to buy this so I bought it myself , now go load it on your PC " . Im so glad he did lol. I would have got it on my own sooner or later but it would have been much sooner had I known actually how good the game was.
    I got it loaded and made my 1st character, a Halfling Cleric who remained my only character for about 2 and a half years. I remember him giving me 200 or so plat and thinking I was rich
    This was back when there was no KEI. I was hooked, I loved it. It seems like there was so much more to do and the world seemed so big. There wasnt any PoK. If ya wanted to get somewhere you either hoped a nice Wizard would TL you or a druid would port you or you just had to run there or wait on the nexus spires. Everyone hung out in the nexus, kind of like PoK nowadays.
    I remember finally getting enough gear so every equipment slot was finally full I was like " woot I think ive won" lol. The 1st time I helped take down any mob who all of us playing thought was a big deal, it took a whole group and a half of us and alot of teamwork. That was so much fun. I still love the game and theyve done a good job at evolving the game it just seems like back then, even though theres more zones and now the world IS actually bigger, it seems like back then it was bigger than now, know what I mean?
    I remember killing Mammoths at the ramp in Everfrost amd having to run to Permafrost to get away from that 1 guy,dam I cant remember his name. Those Ice Giants really kicked my ass. And 1 time coming back from the dentist all messed up from the drugs he gave me from cuttin out my wisdom teeth. Tried to play EQ and passed out. Logged back in the next day and was naked only to find out I ran off a cliff somewhere and lost my corpse lol GMs only kept saying " check EverFrost" lol he said " were not really even supposed to help you that much". FInally found it lol but it took foreva. Ahhh the good ole days.

Fifteenofive Isnotadruid
    Level 63 High Priest
    Nameless Server

Love the stories so far

My VERY first character was a human rogue.. she was born in Freeport and couldn't buy food, water or armor from any vendor due to her class.. I decided that maybe a rogue was a little to hard for me. My husband had made a barbarian warrior and Everfrost looked like an "easier" zone. So my barbarian shaman was born.

I think she died from various Vengful skellies more then anything else. AT level 4 I meet my first HIGHBIE player a level *gasp* 40 druid! OMG! He gave me a Sap of Peity and a nice shield in trade for 4 HQ bear skins. He also buffed me with regen/ds/skin and I lay WASTE to bunches of mobs - felt almost immortal and decided to run to Blackburrow, where I died fast and furious, because the DS and regen had wore of on the RUN to BB and because barbarians eyesight is so poor that when I zoned into BB everything was just pitchblack.... Sigh.

Attempted 4 CR to get my nice new weapon and shield recovered but no success. I was so upset I was ready to quit! (LOL) a nice pally ( I think level 25 ish) had found my body and asked for conset ( what the hay is consent??? ) so he explained it and 2 min later I had my gear.

Level 9 I got SoW! oh my goodness! I decided to make a run thru BB to Qenyos to get the Ultravision spell so I could see in the dark I ran and ran and ran... spend 30 min. tracking down the vendor that sold Ultravison and other spells..... only to find that I didn't have a good enough faction to buy one. Soemthing about me being a smelly barbarian and she refused to talk to me Very upsetting

I later met a wonderful dorf warrior and gnome enchanter that my shaman practically grew up with - we travelled the world - explored zones,caves, ee slayed goblins and monsters DRUNK as SKUNKS in the Gorge of EK.. The "simple" run from Halas to FP was NOTHING to me ( as long as I didn't run into a HG in the Karana's or the undead in Kitchicor Forrest) The sheer THILL of the travels and explorations.

I am still THANKFUL for having played back then ( 1999- 2000) cause I KNOW the zones, I know HOW to run to just about any "old world" zone. I still enjoy a good adventure crawl
    Last edited by Eressea; 05-19-2006 at 11:03 AM.

I began playing in Jan 2000. I made a wood elf druid because she was pretty and I was just making a char to make the bf happy - little did *I* know, LOL.

I remember being in my teens and hanging out in EC - I'd been farming some wolf pelts to make some money. I got a tell - "Tell me a joke."

Me: "Huh?!?"

Him: "Tell me a joke!"

So I told my favorite dirty joke *shrug* He said "Come to Neriak zone." I ran over and he handed me 50 high quality bear pelts. OMGZ!!!!one!! Then he said, "Tell me another joke." At this point, I'm frantically motioning to my bf to give me some jokes. I told him 3-4 jokes and he gave me all of his gear and inventory, said he was quitting the game. It was only years later that I wondered if he had hacked the account, but it *was* only a twentysomething character and not a high-level, so probably not. I made about 2k plat off of the items he gave me, and my druid (account's been retired for over a year) still has some of the items she bought with that 2k, just for old times sake.

When I made a dwarven cleric, I came running out of Kaladim and some guy said "Hey!" I turned around and he gave me a Lumberjack's cap. OMGZ!!!eleven!! I was a GODDESS in the newbie area until about level 5 That was some fun shiznit.

Then there was the cleric that was in my RL bf's guild (he and I lived together) who, we found out, lived in our town. We met her, took her to the movies, and then she proceeded to steal my boyfriend. *sigh* They're married now, with 2 kids. Ah well, such is life, right?

Not all of the memories are good ... but most of them are