Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polls, Worst Expansion Ever

Default Polls, Worst Expansion Ever

HI all. As I was leafing through the pages I came across many polls; favorite expansion, favorite class, race etc. These are all well and good, but not once have I seen anyone ask, What is your least favorite expansion and why? Personnally I would have to say LDON. It was a good idea in the beginning but since no one plays it anymore it is very hard to try and get a group together to do one. With so many other more high end expansions out there who really cares about this one. What I would like to see changed, is take it from a minimum of four players to get the adventure to single person. I'm sorry but as much as EQ would like to think the game is about grouping I believe it is still more about the individual than anything. Most players are off hunting by themselves for exp or out farming loot to either sell or give to lower characters. Therefore I believe if Sony turned around and made LDON single person instances this could open the expansion up even more. This could also be done for other instance Expansions. Anyway just my 2 cents. Would like to hear what others think.
    Katerlie Kornounus
    Cleric of 53 Circles

Default Re: Polls, Worst Expansion Ever

I have to agree, LDON at th is point. Its useless no one wants to even go near it anymore, and the points you get are not even tradeable. The spells that use to be good are not player made and anything gear wise on vendor is out of date and over priced.

I would have to venture to say LoY ... the only thing good that came from it that I can think of right off hand is Temperance and dye. I enjoyed the heck outta LDoN w/ the Mistmoore missions and all. Spending the points left a lot to be desired after a while, but boosting the little green gem on my charm slot was fun.

So, yeah, I'm going with LoY ... what were they thinking? Oh ya, and Velious is my fave

Exarch Akshaya Ananmaya
    80 Examplar of Erollisi Marr
    Aksy's Myspace

I did enough LDoN to purchase the Chest trap identify, disarm, remove spells.

I believe that was 3 LDoN in total.

I'm thinking that was the worst.

But I could be wrong.

kC

GoD has long been my favorite, especially the raiding aspect.

My opinion, LoY was the worst at the time it came out... LDoN was one of My favorite when it first came out... Now in retrospect, I think is LDoN is the worst just for the shear lack of use.. LoY still has some pretty good lvling grounds, LDoN points are now useless for the most part and they made the spells makable now...

I have played EQ since it came out in 1999 and I have to agree. LoY was the worst when it first came out, but looking back at all of them...for sheer lack of use LDoN rates number one as the "Worst"; though it was a Blast when it was #1!

I dont think that the LDoNs should be made solo-able, but Duo-able...this would be great for my wife and I, especially for our lowbies.

Just my 2 cp worth.

Each expansion has its ups and downs.

I spent more time in LoY to be honest than I did in PoR for grouping purposes. But LoY belongs in a different era all together than any of the recent zones, so it is hard to compare.

Temp/pureblood spells were great and still very much in demand today (nothing has overtaken either of those uses). Drogmars for the first non-horse option. Some of the named events in LoY zones were incredible for its time and lots of fun for the smaller/casual guilds like mine was back then. Though it didn't have much for harder guilds at all.
    (a) Torgiran Mines -
    Overseeker Wrank event ( http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=11126 ) - -
    Overlord Ngrub ( http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=11125 ) - -
    was one of the first campable charms ( http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=11651 ) - -
    Taskmaster Luga ( http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=11127 )
    (b) Crypt of Nadox - Innoruuk (Crypt of Nadox) ( http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=12906 ) - -
    The Luggald Broodmother-spawns as part of clearing the area for Inny ( http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=11212 )
    (c) Hates Fury - this one event ( http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=13861 )

Velious was rough on a lot of guilds/alliances as it required choosing factions (and that many wanted to be a personal thing, not a guild selected thing).

PoP was hard on lower guilds and not many events, though lots of quests.

LDoN was a blast for its time, but replay value (like LoY) is low. The raids didn't garner much interest (they were either too easy or too hard/ahead of their time with the death spawn failures etc.).

Crystilla
    EQ Round Table Member
    Devoted Brell serving wench
    Valorguard / Erollisi Marr server

I'd say LDoN at this time. Sure it was a lot of fun when it was new, people who weren't endgame raiding got some good gear out of it, and it added augmentations. But even several years ago when I played occasionally, almost no one went there anymore, and I understand it's completely dead now. I wouldn't mind looking around in there a bit, some of the zones were pretty cool, but since you can't even go in on your own... pretty much the only thing LDoN has to offer now are teleports between Wayfarer camps.

So, yeah, it's useless. A lot of zones and you basically can't even enter any of them. Worst expansion at this time hands down.
    Miriella
    75 Cleric of Innoruuk
    Cazic Thule

LDoN rocked.

i loved it. it needs to be re vamped. the idea od set "instances" was awesome. you could log on, grav a LDoN, and go. no need feel guilty about having to go, or find a replacment. plus the introduction of augs...wow, look at the augs these days! i have 300+ hp/mana augs..thanx to LDoN. i am not sure, not looked in awile, but i think i still wear my ldon adventure stone....

anyway, to me parts of ldon still live on. too bad they haven't ramped up the dificulty and added new drops... oh well

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

Sprinting over the fields, swinging a mighty hammer, cometh Keyera! And she gives a bloodthirsty roar:

"I'm going to bludgeon you into the stuff of nightmares!"

I so agree with you Keyera,

I loved LDoN and the idea of being able to play without dedicating hours of grouping and raiding but still achieve great rewards was a welcome breath of fresh air. I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't keep up on it and develop that system further.

I think Blizzard has capitalized on a similar feeling with it's PVP system and instance system especially in last years expansion.

LDoN was a great favorite of mine but didn't beat my excitement for Planes of Power and the ability to fight gods.

Yeah, WoW players have asked for a long time for an LDoN type reward system, and the heroic mode introduced with the expansion is really Blizzard's way of doing that.

Don't get me wrong, I loved LDoN too; the reason I select it as most useless expansion now is that you basically can't enter the zones anymore.
    Miriella
    75 Cleric of Innoruuk
    Cazic Thule

Miriella said in post #11 :
    Don't get me wrong, I loved LDoN too; the reason I select it as most useless expansion now is that you basically can't enter the zones anymore.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I loved doing LDoN's, but when DoN came out and you could get better rewards for less points it pretty much made the expansion obsolete. Slipgear and Wanderlust might be slightly lower stats than the Adventuring Stone, but definitely a lot easier to max out.

I dont know how it is anywhere else, but on my server people are starting to do the LDONS for 60+ solely for the reason to get the type 3 augs for the new SOF gear. If you ask me, I think SOE had it planned that way when they made the new gear with type 3 augs, iirc type 3 augs are only from LDONS.

But, I too miss doing LDONS. They were fun. I liked the idea of not having to worry about KS'ing, and camp stealers and all of that foolishness that so infuriates people and ruins the fun.

I miss doing LDoN's constantly as well. I do them here and there occasionaly and on alts. It's very sad it will never be revamped or given another look at. Worst expansion is, I agree, LoY. The only thing I can think of off the bat that was good was pure blood and temperance, and even those can be lived without. Everything about LoY (especially frogs) was just terrible. (though DE pirates rocked)

Recruiting officer of Unending Twilight

(though DE pirates rocked)
    all de rock!

3rd gate

see ya there~

kC