Thread: Recent spam on the site

Dinosaur Recent spam on the site

I'm sure you have noticed the recent increase in random spammers from newbie registrations. I would like to thank everybody who's been using the reporting system to report these threads. I get an email about each report which enables me to go check out details like thread link, post link and username etc. I hope you guys will continue to assist in ridding the site of these threads.

I have to give a big thanks to the admin team who's been really good about making those threads go *poof*. I check my email as soon as I get home from work and usually by the time I get the reported post the thread's already gone.

We take these spam occurences quite seriously. There are a few things that happen once that thread is gone. First the user is banned/suspended. I will look over the post and the bounced email list which is growing as fast as the spammers...they are often using bogus email addresses resulting in even more email spam for the server to deal with.

Based on this I often end up deleting the entire user account so it's gone from the system. It's not a small task and without the help from people like Keyera and Auroralee I'm not sure we could stay on top of it so Thanks Guys!

Please note that if you register an account with a bogus email and your registration email sent by the site bounce I will be notified and your account will be deleted.

If you've been an active member posting and participating and we suddenly get bounced emails from your account we send you a PM reminding you to update the contact information so please follow those suggestions.

Default Re: Recent spam on the site

how do you go about reporting a post?
    CLICK HERE TO GET A SURPRISE

Become a Knight

The KISSing Cleric of Mystical Lightfighters
    Loraly's Toys

A Report Post link is in the bottom left hand corner of each post.

Don't know how i missed that. LOL I guess I wasn't paying very good attention.
    CLICK HERE TO GET A SURPRISE

Become a Knight

The KISSing Cleric of Mystical Lightfighters
    Loraly's Toys

Requiring a user to copy text from a captcha image during registration should at least eliminate most of the bots. Not sure how easy it would be to add one to this version of vB, but the newer ones have it already.
    Last edited by Kazpin; 12-01-2006 at 03:39 PM.
    Kazpin Cleric [lvl: 75] [AA: 256] [GLAA: 29]
    Endiment Warrior [lvl: 75] [AA: 59]
    Kazn Enchanter [lvl: 59] [AA: 0]
    Shuugo Rogue [lvl: 75] [AA: 62] [Make Posion: 300 +12%]

Saddly some of these bots are in the forms of humans that are thinking individuals but being paid small amounts in a far away land to harrass others.