Thread: Cleric Solo at 70 Questions re: zones, gear, etc.

Default Cleric Solo at 70 Questions re: zones, gear, etc.

Hey all. I've been working away at soloing for years and only recently have I felt it's become a reasonably viable way to have fun, farm and hopefully get some xp.

I logged in last night and tried Sol Ro Tower... again... with the new expansion I was treated to crazy skillups in dodge in short order on the first pull... omg! I went from our former cap of 80 to over 200 all in a matter of several fast hitting mobs, maybe 5 actually. I could not believe it. I also noted that other skill caps have been increased (alteration! yay!) and was very pleased to skillup 1hb a couple times.

Even so, I managed a bad pull (don't laught at me please...) and got my sorry self killed again.

I also note the rest feature effectively removes downtime of any consequence while soloing now. Wow. That was worth the price of admission right there. Dear Tunare, oh please don't let them nerf that, oh please, oh please... I feel nervous even talking about that goodness being nerfed but omg, it was soooo good. Before, it would take me about 4 minutes to down a single on of those 40k mobs and this is with max related skills, some raid gear, defensives maxxed up to Omens, best pre-expansion reverse damage shields, proc dmg shield, hammer pet, skinspikes pots, etc. in play. And when I was done I would be 50m and half dead myself and get to sit and med for a long time...

Some questions I have been wanting to ask before this and now some new ones too:

What does the increased dodge do for us in explicit terms, the numbers I mean?

I haven't looked this up yet, but are all 71-75 spells purchasable at the first rank and they level with use? Please forgive me slacking and not looking that up, just figured you guys would know and a simple yes or no on that would do.

What is the best cleric usable 1hb in the game for dps vs regular mobs? Right now I use a Void Mace with a Lifesap II aug in it. I am wondering what the options are both for groupable upgrade or raid upgrade. I wish they had given us a new and better summoned hammer. I do not think the one we have no can outdo the Void Mace but I have to confess I haven't bothered to parse this vs reg mobs and see.

Is the Celestial Hammer AA and its new TSS upgrade worth having? What is the dps on it? I think of the castable hammer pet as dot I cast and forget about which for the mana does a decent amount of damage over the course of a fight if cast early. I am wondering if its worth the AA to get the AA ones.

I have first rank of Turn Undead and playing in Veksar, the first time it proc'd a 32k hit I was swinging away and suddenly, where did the mob go? Oh, he's dead. That's nice. Screenshot... lol Now, how does this dot improve with ranks? I see its 100 a tic for now. Could someone tell me how good this gets if you spend more on it and even max it? Is this worth doing?

People laughed at me hacking away in PoFire skilling up my 2hb with a drop from some lower tier pop zone, I forget the name of it. Its a huge hammer that I like having just for the look of it if nothing else. It certainly isn't a viable solo weapon for a cleric at 70. The question is, are there good 2hb cleric weapons in the game that are actually useful solo. I see a cool looking one drops in Time and i would like to win and try that one out. Are there others of at least that quality or better or is 2hb a complete waste of time at this point?

It would be sweet if there was a groupable upgrade to the Void Mace. I'd love that.

I'd love to hear anything you guys have to say regarding the above things. I'd also love to get some ideas for where to solo at 70 that actually yields good enough xp to make doing it worth doing.

Places I am considering trying:

Undead instanced solo (I have two alts who can be used so I can get the instance) - I don't care about winning or the chest. I am just hoping that I find this to be good xp. I am jealous of the necros, bards and druids who can do this with 69.1 hards and kite thier way solo to incredible rates of AA xp. What is our best option for AA or regular xp griding solo? Is there one? I have always found so far that killing is too slow or downtime was too much as I would burn through 5k or so mana just killing one in say Sol Ro Tower. Maybe this is my own fault for always trying to push the envelope vs just camping the highborns and kicking butt steadily over time. I wonder if I wouldn't do well in Fire C1 at this point too. The problem I had there (Sol Ro to is one add and its all over. I cannot heal through all the interrupts faster than they can kill me. :-(

Thanks for reading the long winded post - I am famous for this ;-(
    Last edited by Lyolas; 09-21-2006 at 06:13 PM.

Default Re: Cleric Solo at 70 Questions re: zones, gear, etc.

Increased Dodge from 80 to 212 at 71 (220 at 75) did exactly what the % jump is- approximately we were dodging at ~2% with 80 dodge, this effectively raised it to:

71 (212.): ~5.3%
    72 (214.): ~5.35%
    73 (216.): ~5.4%
    74 (218.): ~5.45%
    75 (220.): ~5.5%

Those are figures from some parses I have but they are possibly a few % off, need long long parses to get accurate figures.

AA wise if you want further evasion, buy Shield Block as soon as you can. Its great really.

Tier 1 spells are purchaseable at the vendor in Sunderock Springs however upgrades (tier 2s) are looted from things in direwind, ashengate, icefall etc, Tier 3s are raid only and Ancients will be limited to highest end raids (ancients are unknown still that said).

Since this is about soloing- let me introduce you to my gem. At level 71, we obtain a spell called Vow of Valor, and this will be a boon to you for soloing, believe me on that

The best 1hb atm for melee dps is Daybreak, in short term for procs, daybreak also, but in the long term, Rod of the Ruined is better proc dps over time, but these are both raid drops from Roley DeFarge in DemiPlane of Blood. Non-raid hammers I can't really say unfortunately :/

I never had a chance to test how much more dps our new aa pets did, but Celestial Hammer 3 for Omens parses at ~50 dps, and lasts for 1 minute. TSS hammers all last 60 seconds also and I assume they parse at 60, 70, 80 dps (hopefully!)

The proc chance on turn undead does not increase per rank, it is a fixed 5% rate for all ranks, the next ranks merely upgrade the meager DoT portion (with it being at the most in TSS at 1000 per tick for 5 ticks, every 5 minutes, 1k dmg per minute ).

As for good places to solo I'll think up some appropriate places especially with Vow of Valor, but I'm sure others will know better places
    Last edited by Lluianae; 09-21-2006 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks a lot. That's some good info I was wanting to know. I did parse the casted hammer and it's dps runs very low, maybe 15 or so, however it stays up for the duration of the fight, on the other hand it consumes precious a spell gem slot and what I get on fighting a 40k hp typical mob in Sol Ro tower winds up being a cheap to cast dot that equates to around 1.5k damge. On the other hand, at 50 dps for 60 seconds you're getting a 3k dot basicall with the aa pet and it doesn't take a spell gem slot up. Sold. I will be buying that soon.

As for turn undead, I'll take a total of 5k damage over 5 tics over 500 damge anyday... hehe... The problem is its damned expensive to get that and given other priorities, its a toy aa for someday down the road. The present one is still worth doing for the manaless 500 dmg and chance to proc tho. I am still glad to have it.

I have read the spell descriptions but I forget them now. I will go purchase those soon, thanks for telling me where. I'll be 71 very soon and try the spell you mentioned. It sounds familiar but a I forget them all.

A female cleric who solos and parses damage output and knows all of this stuff. Oh, my God. Will you marry me? I can do a server transfer to you, no problem. Hehe... I'm just kidding but I couldn't resist that. Most clerics I ask these things haven't a clue since I guess many don't care for solo play but I love it myself.

Thanks again. I'd love to hear about new zones with undead or even not, that are good places to solo. I tried Firetails in Arcstone but they take too long to kill and one add would put me back in the GL... I was trying to remember where the mistwalkers are and foolishly took one of those things on. I never learn.

Go to the undead camp in Arcstone or do the willowwisps right behind it. In the undead camp, kill all the horses as they're a named cycle (name drops one of the "orbs" for the black skykrin (however that's spelled) quest and its sellable.

Here's a thread on the cleric section of the EqLive boards asking about various haunts. Might give you some ideas or prompt other thoughts. It doesn't include the new zones yet though.

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/...essage.id=1339

Crystilla
    EQ Round Table Member
    Devoted Brell serving wench
    Valorguard / Erollisi Marr server

Ah yes, you know I have seen that thread as it was me who was the original poster. Hehe...

But thank you for pointing that out. All suggestions and replies here and there are always much appreciated.

/em blushes

I get around on too many boards

Crystilla
    EQ Round Table Member
    Devoted Brell serving wench
    Valorguard / Erollisi Marr server

Well I guess that makes two of us. hehe. I appreciate the nice, interesting and helpful posts you write. Thank you them.

What type of gear do you have? I just got back into playing some and like to hit 71, but unsure where I can solo at. Im only like 8500HP/6800M buffed up