Thread: New Computer, New Problems

Post New Computer, New Problems

Hi All,
    Quick question about new computers and loading old software. I am in the process of purchasing a new computer with all the bells and whistles I need to play EQ much better. I will have to load my EQ software and obviously get all my patches to date. I do NOT want to lose my hot buttons, font colors, and my UI set up. I know I can download maps, so that is not an issue.

My question is this, is there a file(s) or folder that I can copy from my old computer and download to my new one? If so, which one(s) is it?

Thanks so much for any and all help.
    Positive Ly'Sweet
    Fennin Ro

Positive Ly'Sweet

Default Re: New Computer, New Problems

You can just backup the entire folder, or move it to another hard drive, if you do not want to have to reload and then repatch EQ for many, many hours. If that isn't an option, then all you need to do is backup the INI files, so when you do reinstall EQ then you can just copy those files into your EQ directory. That way you won't lose your hot buttons and such.
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Pomaikai Po`okela
    70 Exarch

Capitalization is the difference between
    "Helping your uncle Jack off a horse"
    and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"

Sig courtesy of Hijinx Studios

You may also want to check if you are using a dual core processor with your new machine if you are you will need to make sure EQ adheres to one core before you log on. I was having a horrible time with this until I learned the answer to the problem. If you do not you will experience jerking around.

/hugs good luck dear

I'd suggest doing what Pom suggested... Full backup of the entire folder. This way you don't have to sit there and patch the whole thing again.

If that's not an option, and you just want to save your maps/ui/hotkeys etc.

Backup these folders entirely:
    /maps
    /uifiles
    /userdata

Then backup all the .ini files in the /Everquest folder.

All these should easily fit on one CD (unless you have a TON of custom UI's) or even on a USB disk.

Once you get EQ on the new system, just copy these files right overtop any existing files on the new system. Maps into maps, uifiles into uifiles, .ini files from the /everquest folder into the /everquest folder... you get the idea.

Boom, all hotkeys, user intefaces and maps are there when you load it up on the new system.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Nizrenan; 08-28-2006 at 12:50 PM.

Cleric of "Grave Wisdom" - The Rathe