Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brand new cleric any advice appreciated

Default Re: Brand new cleric any advice appreciated

again, welcome to the clerical life.

For bash, you do need a shield to actually do it. And yes, it's a triggered hotkey. So it wont just happen while you're whacking away with your hammer.

If you're level 20 now, I would actually suggest getting a group and going to HHK, not for that lame monster mission, but to actually camp the basement. Thats what I did on both my chanter and cleric.

Now, I was recently in the same position you are, after already leveling 1 character to 70. When you do get into the higher levels of the game, you will find that your mana will start to fall alot faster than it does now. Your spells will cost more, and you'll have to cast them faster. Dont worry, you can still do your job. I suggest getting a mount of some sort. If you dont have the plat to buy one, you can buy the storebought copy of Prophecy of Ro and get a free horse, or the storebought copy of Depths of Darkhollow for the roboboar. One last things that I cannot stress enough, IF YOU ARE LOW ON MANA, TELL YOUR GROUP. If you dont have mana, the group doesnt have a chance. Unless you have 3 shamans backing you up.

There are only two things that determine the pace of a group. The mana of the cleric, and the mana of the puller.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask em.

Thank You guys for the advice and the help it is really appreciated
    I only leveled my chanty to 40 something and had to concentrate on my schooling (nursing school hense RN Mayhem) and when I got back into the game it was leveled up and I didnt know what to do with him. So gave him to friend.

I did try some grouping but most people want me to just sit there and heal. Now I have no problem healing people but when you have people constantly going out and getting stuff its hard to heal everyone and sometime dont listen when I say LoM or 20 M Please wait on pull. I like the idea of fighting and yes I could have been a palidin but I like the idea of being a cleric. What happened last night is prime example.

Estate of Unrest !

Mayhem 20 Cleric
    Pontifia 17 Cleric

Us a 20 isky necro and some Anon guy (isky and anon in the house us outside)

buffs
    Symbol
    daring
    center
    piety
    spirital armor
    Endure magic fire disease (learned rabies is a disease)

spells
    extinquesh undead
    smite
    yaulp II
    highest heal
    First Hot (woot)
    root
    calm (shoulda had my ae stun up )
    invulnerable

I went to the front door and was pulling to the zone in and me and pont were fighting them there. the death beetles were still light blue to her but green to me. I went into the door andturned to the right there is usually one undead in site and one around the corner from him. while I was getting ready to cast my undead spell got a wanderer from behind me. turned around and hit him and boom three ghouls where there with him when i opened the door. ran back to zone with 4 DB to me and red to Pont.
    so there we are at the front she finally decides to start fighting lol she was just nuking them and getting agro. We both cast our heals on the undead by accident at least once. So I yaulping and bashing Hot when I get to 50 or so or she does cast Undead twice. We were rocking I fighting and her nuking. it got so bad I was screaming at my PC " come on die you *%#$^* Die already"

the final score

1 undead 0 2 Ghouls 0 1 Schorcher 0 2 death beetles 0
    Mayhem 21 cleric 18 Life 0 M Pontifia 18 cleric 90 Life 0m
    offense and defense up to 106 on me on pont 40

while we medded and talked about the different style we use our toons(we figured if someone came in and saw us they would think I was a paladin and she was a cleric) I was shaking like I had for a nursing final. I was so jacked up it was great !! I udnerstand I am prime healer and I wouldnt mind that but every now and then I want to hit something and have fun. I think tonight we are going to go inside the house (back door) and try it or maybe I will take a trip out to HHP and see if there is a group there. I will try just about any suggestion because Like I said. I want to be the best cleric that I can. Thank you again

Mayhem

Glad to hear your having such a good time with it!

I love the occasional 'chaos pull'... you know the ones... where the crap hits the fan in spades...

Keep your head, heal what you need to, tank/nuke what you can. and come out on top... when it's over, see your group, still alive, standing over a ton of corpses... I love that feeling! And you just can't get it quite the same with any other class.

Cleric of "Grave Wisdom" - The Rathe

congratz on the ass-kickery. I remember pulls like that in KC (unrest never had too many trains for me). Craziness of all those dogs just running towards the entrance. Then, low and behold, ANOTHER dog. So far you have the idea, just keep up this pace and you'll be a perfect cleric in no time.

Thought you guys might like a update on where I am.
    I am currently sitting pretty at lvl 25. I did take the advice and went to OT spent about 4 hours there and got 3 levels. I had to ungroup because I didnt get any skill ups since it was me and Pont again there were two clerics so they just kept pullin and pulling. I am now solo again but in sol A I think pont and my friend Angel (26 chanty) might join me there. I have my offense up to 119 defense 124 and 1hb is now 102 (I heard someone way higher then me go woot 1hb 114) I didnt like how fast I was going up in my lvls and was working on anything but heal buff heal. I know I am a cleric I like being a cleric but I want a well rounded cleric. bash does come at 25 and its great I am going back into the first page to copy how to make a hotkey for bash and yaulp ( thanks again guys give me what I need before I need it )
    I did join a guild on fennin Ro its Champions of revelry. nice people they are very helpful and never try to rush me a few told me that if I wanted to lvl fast to go here or there but for the most part they offer advice and chat. they have been just great. ponts in the guild angel is in a different guild. neither guild minds us all hanging out together with each other.
    Kaellon where is KC ? I went to HHP and it was deserted I was the only person there.
    I have been telling the other clerics about this place and hope that they will come here and we can get more discussions on the boards.
    I want to say again how great you guys are to help a new cleric like this

Mayhem.
    P.S. I wanted to change my name to wyldemayhem or soemthing because everyone is calling me rnmay or rnm lol sony charges 70 dollars for that. if it was 20 I would spring for it but 70 ???? omg ?? /rant over

Would you rather we just say "Hello Nurse!"?
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Pomaikai Po`okela
    70 Exarch

Capitalization is the difference between
    "Helping your uncle Jack off a horse"
    and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"

Sig courtesy of Hijinx Studios

Another place to try at that lvl is Marus Seru (Luclin zone: Nexus - Netherbian - Marus Seru). More people tend to group there at that lvl than HHK nowadays, on my server at least. Still, it's empty more often than not, but your chances of grouping may be better.

Once you get within spitting distance of 30, Dawnshroud Peaks (also off Netherbian) should still be quite popular. People like to fight there as the exp is decent and Acrylia dropps off the tribal guys, which is needed for mid lvl trades so it sells for decent in the /baz.

Once around 35-40, The Dreadlands (on Kunark) should be good to take you into the PoP zones. If you get bored of Dreadlands, KC (Can't remember the full name, it zones from Dreadlands though) is really close by and is good for 40+ as well.

But of course, all this may change as new zones for all lvls will be released with the Serpents Spine. Along with all sorts of people playing lower lvl characters to get their DragonKin (or whatever they're called) up to raid lvls...

zone off of DL is karnor's castle, sometimes when loading a zone the game will mention it, back in the day it was train central.

Thanks guys I am getting some awesome xp and skill ups in sol A soling but I will try the other zones you guys mentioned

LoL@Pomaikai I was just ranting

On progression Karnors is King!

Howdy, this is my first post here on EQClerics. My main for the longest time was a Ranger, but now i am enjoying life as a Cleric. No longer hard to find groups anymore especially with my wife leveling her Mage alongside my Cleric. I moved servers and have started fresh. It was fun starting new....no twink items or nothing. So I know your pain of leveling and getting decent armor. An idea for ya though, is to type /LFG. This will bring up the Looking for Group window. Even at low levels people use the LFG window to find groups. Also when you are in POK just typ /ooc 20 Cleric LFG pst. You'll be surprised and may get into a group alot easier.
    I'm not sure it this next thing I'm gonna tell you will confuse you or not, but hopefully it will help. As far as at what level can you group with someone, there is a formula for it. You take whatever level you are (20) Divide it by 2 = 10, than you add 1 = 11 than you take that number and add that number to your Level of (20). So you get 20+ 11 = 31. So at level 20 you can group with someone as high as level 31. I am not sure on how it works with the odd number though. as in a level 13 divide by 2 = 6.5 + 1 = 7.5 + 13 = 20.5. So a level 13 person could group with a level 20 person. I think that's how that is. If someone else could break this down a little better, that would be helpful!
    Ninewonwon
    61 Cleric
    Drinal

it's actually this:

(your level) / 2 + (your level)

and for odd numbers, you obviously round down.

so for the level 20, you enter that info into the formula

(20) / 2 + (20)

10 + 20 = 30

30 = 30

So, at 20, the maxumun level you can group with is 30 and still get exp. If you group with a 31, either he/she or you will get no exp.

fHi guys !! (and gals )
    Just wanted to let you know where your lil cleric newbie is now in the game. I just got my first AA the other day and when I did my first PoJ trail 50 yup i was 50 (so proud) and went to big bad PoJ I am in a guild that doesnt raid or anything and the only way I knew anything is from reading bout them here and seeing people talk bout em. I went did some reasearch talked some of the higher guys into coming and got it done (on the thrid trial) SO when I got done I went and got my first AA.
    Now I really dont remember anything about you guys saying when to go for AA's but I have just been doing xp in old seb (damn it why make it a hot zone i loved it in there alone) and veks I am still doing those omg groups. I am with that same group of people we now call ourselves FMFC (friday night fight club) in our guild and are actually gettin a rep as wanting to take on anything. usually we make it out (after afew tries) only thing is we still need a permenant DPS and since our guild isnt a raid guild we have i think a total of 4 warriors. so we just pimp ourselves out with whoever we can find. Usually ends up as a good time and people laugh at our group because when do alot of funny things in shouts and ooc's.it was hillarious the other day I was in pok geting some Kei from a friend of mine in another guild and this person gives me a OOC saying hi.. I didnt remember him and asked if I knew him..his replay was no but he remembered me that I was the crazy paladin Keal..lol..but lately i been playing with a more squared out gang. the other group has druid ranger chanty neckro me and pali..I feel bad when the FNFC calls and say they need a healer but i like playing with this other group (not as many rezes) but i still think of those guys as my family ..kinda makes it hard to say no but i still do the friday nights religously...plus i am almost done with my epic only got ixy fer dragon and chardok and they cdont really care bout epics...truthfully I was offfered from some other guilds that they would help me with it when i was 52..but put it off because of doing stuff with them..<shrugs> I dont know why i told ya that
    lol I have been pointing ppl to this site.. for info and all that and its kind of funny when a cleric thats 6-7 levels ABOVE you asks in guild chat if thats a right answer. (thats thanks to all of you guys here) so if ya see alot of ppl browsing thats probably them. told em to sign up and say hi.
    I have been thinking I am going to just do xp until I am 55 then put some xp into AA's now
    A) is that agood idea or should i wait til i am higher ?
    b) should i just put it in now (54)
    C) what should i really put it into ? I would like to raid there are some in our guild that are trying to learn to raid on fenin ro...
    D) Thank you for all of your support and knowledge and if I dont say it before hand Merry Christmas, Happy hanekua, Happy New Years, and anything ya do or dont believe in

Mayhem
    54 Cleric
    Fenin Ro

the lvl v. aa debate is an eternal one sir

valid and correct pts on both sides

at this point, given your reports and imho

leveling will serve you well, 'til 65

kC

Glad to see your still having a TON of fun

One thing to consider about AA's... They changed the exp scaling on aa's when TSS launched.

A lvl 70 Character will gain aa's as fast as previously (approximately) and they ramped it up for the lower lvls, so they will come faster at the lower levels than they did before TSS. This is so people aren't getting an AA every 5 mins at lvl 75 so the dev's say . It's obviously still faster to get them at the higher lvls, but it's not as slow at the lower lvls as it was before TSS came out.

If you really want aa's I'd recomend setting it at a mix of both aa's and regular exp, which percentage is totally up to you, but at least you'll be getting some at a regular rate. I'd personally put it fairly low in aa to begin with (10-30%) 'till 65 as Kcii stated, but that's just me.

Oh, and I’ll recommend your first AA's to be Run 3 then get Mnemonic Retention for that extra spell gem. Run 3 give you much better survivability as you can outrun most mobs, and that extra spell gem is soooo handy. Look into Divine Arbitration early as well.
    Last edited by Nizrenan; 12-08-2006 at 03:28 PM.