Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new cleric any advice appreciated

Default Brand new cleric any advice appreciated

Heya !
    I have been playing everquest for a week now and am a lvl 13 cleric. I have been reading up on it here at alla, and castersrealm. I was wondering if this is good?

this is what I have loaded for my spells

heal
    light heal
    center
    holy armor
    yaup
    divine arua
    stun/expulse undead
    furor
    ( I have a hammer from the tutorial that hits a little faster so I kept that one)
    have the armor from the tutorial but got some of the upgraded stuff from the missions there.
    so far I have leveld upin the tutorial and thensolo'ing in the fields of bones after I did the missions in faydark. I was also a part of a team in Kurns castle that lvl'd me for two lvl's. So here I am at 13 and want to work on my defense and offense skills ( since I read that it is better to do it now and is harder the higher I g also could some one please explain to me how to do those macros? I have to put $T infront of it for it to target a person ? Other then the group I was in (EVERYONE was fighting something at the same time, it was hard keeping them alive but i did ) being a cleirc is a blast. I am really looking forward to getting better as I level any advice would be appreciated.

Mayhem

RnMayhem Fennin Ro
    LvL 13 Cleric
    [insert generic funny phrase here]

Default Re: Brand new cleric any advice appreciated

Well let me the first to welcome you to the cleric ruled world of EverQuest. I will let others chat about the spell sets but I will try to provide a little information you might fine useful.

Macros: TONS of them, here are a couple

/assist %t = assists your target. Even if you are targeting a mob, using this macro will assist the mob and target the person it’s attacking.
    /target Bobbert = targets the character named Bobbert, in your group or outside your group and close to you.
    /cast 1 = casts the spell in the top (first) gem slot. You could also add something like this:
    First line - /cast 1
    Second line – Hi %t my name is Rnmayhem, stay close for a heal or take a dirt nap.
    /cast 2 = casts the spell in the second gem slot.
    /cast 3…etc.

As you will soon see this post will fill up with bunches of good information. This board has a lot of friendly people just waiting to pump your brain full of ideas. As you level please fell free to stop by and share your adventures. Some of us might enjoy living vicariously through your new eyes. I know I will.

Spen

Chances are you already know most of this, but this is what I usually tell new clerics who ask me for advice.
    Just to make sure you know, it's %T, not $T. Might be a mistype but that would keep your macro from working.
    It looks like you've been soloing a fair bit, which is very good for your offense and more importantly DEFENSE. The more agility you have, the more likely mobs are to miss you.
    For soloing, check the bazaar for cheap haste items, for instance there's a shield that drops in spellmissions (can't remember the name off the top of my head, but it's an ALL/ALL 20% haste secondary with no lvl minimum) that no one at the level to hunt there will ever use, and tend to give away to young toons or sell. Haste does a lot to make up for the fact that we hit less and for less damage.
    When you fight, flank the mob, this will let you know when you've pulled agro so you can back off as well as increase your chance to hit.
    Focus effects like spell haste 1 or mana preservation 2 will help you immensely when you can find them.
    Get in the habit of yaulping during fights if you're not sitting.
    If you start casting a heal and it turns out your target doesn't need it, hit duck to interrupt the cast and save the mana. This happens a lot when you have other healers in group.
    If you find yourself running low on mana after doing group buffs, rotate the buffs so you don't end up buffing the whole group at once.
    Make sure to keep your skills capped. Every time you level and have down time, find a spell of each spell skill that you can chain cast and keep going til you get your 5 improves per level. Doing this during off time will mean you're that much more effective in the field.
    Not everyone appreciates clever messages in your macros. Keep em short so they don't take up too much chat window space.
    If you're a dark elf, spend the time and do the quest for the snare neck. It will make soloing MUCH easier. If you're not, don't bother doing the newbie armor quests, they're not worth it.

Sample macro for heal spell in slot 1:

/cast 1
    /gsay Heal for %T, stay in range for (cast time here)
    /cast 1
    /cast 1

Having 3 cast commands in there will help defeat the evil fizzlebeast.

Good luck to you!
    Celedine Crashcart
    80 Exemplar of Tunare
    Retired Hussy

Indeed... welcome! Kurns Tower is my favorite zone for the under level 20 set, especially for clerics (Lots of undead to smite!). This is a good place for you to work on all your skills, whether grouped or soloing. You should probably have the undead/nukes, root and stun spells memmed while fighting. The only time you'll need your buffs memorized is when you're actually buffing. Clerics, while not designed as a soloing class, are quite capable of it. While working on your weapon skills, also work on Bash (have a shield equipped for that).
    On these boards you'll come across a great many different playing styles, some more technical than others. Feel free to ask questions if you can't find the answer in the forums.

Tam's Stuff
    Lv 79 Cleric - Veeshan's Fury

Thanks alot of info so far and its stuff I need to learn
    I appreciate it. I will look for the shield (will just look under shield in bazaar and hope ) I will do that will my spells (thanks) Gotta see where I can solo and practice this stuff. I am going to try crushbone again if not them maybe blackburrow. Will let ya guys know how it goes

Mayhem
    BASH ? we can bash ? How do I do that ?

IMO for lvling, stay in Kurn's until 19, 20 if you can push the xp that far. With all the undead it makes for better soloing and the respawns are fast so you get good group xp there too.

At 20, move to the Estate of Unrest. Undead mobs that will tide you over until late 20s progressing from the bottom lvl, up the tower and then finally in the basement.

From there your options are completely open. There aren't any real midlevel undead areas that are really worth anything. You may wanna check out Befallen and Najena but honestly I cant really remember the level spreads for those zones.

If you can get them, lower lvl Lost Dungeons of Norrath (or LDoNs) dungeons are excellent xp. The one in Butcherblock Mountains, also called Mistmore or MM LDoNs, are full of undead so we excell there. You'll need to do a lot of the ones in Northern Desert of Ro (Nr, known as Tak LDoNs, for the group version of our first real hp/ac buff. The buff is called Temperance and you get it at level 40. The group version from LDoNs is called Blessing of Temperance and is a good thing to work towards in your lower lvls while xping.

Oh and to bash hit alt + m and it will bring up the skill window. Click the tabs until you see the window with 6 boxes numbered 1-6. Click on the first one and it will bring up an ability list. Click bash and it will assign bash to that box. You can then create a hotkey for it (left click and hold until the box appears on your cursor) and then you can put the hotkey into one of the hotbuttons on your hotbar.

Then you only have to hit that hotbutton to bash. There is a bit of a refresh time but it can be fun to stun the mobs with a bash.
    Last edited by AumdyderEQ; 08-10-2006 at 11:35 AM.

dragon Re: Brand new cleric any advice appreciated

Thanks again for the info folks. I made the macros with just /cast 1 ****incomeng heal on %T**** cast 1 cast 1 and /cast 1 *** incoming light heal on %T ***** cast 1 cast 1 it really helped alot on the fizzies. I was the only one in the group with macros lol but I was also the only one playing my main I found out. Was good friendly talkitive joing group (me, necro, bard, ranger (TANK) and at the end a chanty) we had fun and it was great (got upgraded gear from chanty when she asked if she could inspect ( shewas deleting her other low level character and just GAVE it to me)) nice people. all had 50 something lvl characters i found out later (boy did I feel stupid being leader )
    question now
    we got trained and I was fighting cause at 100 m and we had red white 2 blues. I was casting heal when someone got to 75 % (returns em to full health) ***should I have waited til lower ? I have heard that it is best to heal at between 60-70 %
    another
    We almost got wiped out but did manage to pull it out without anyone dying (darn shaman that was two boxing came and started mega buffing and healing (dont get me wrong I loved the buffs and the help but I was doing fine as it was and wanted to see if I COULD keep my gang alive without his help ( he did appologize for the train from his other character)) but I was wondering in a situation like that should I have moved to the back and just let ever one else attack and med or go with what i did do and fight and heal as I could (I actually did get oom once but everyone was full health by then and I b acked off and meded cause we had taken down half the mobb) and if i cast my invulnerable spell would I take agro for it and have them beat on me as I med and my gang hacks at them ?

well we all leveled atleast two levels made some nice friends and got some good loot. I even have some left over so that I could send a email to a friend I met in the Tut and see if she wants it. The chanty told me to sell it if i couldnt use it. But I am sure that my friend could use it cause she is a pally and has no PP either

last question.
    I did notice I was getting alot of fizzles with my spell when you say to get you spells and practice each specialization is it better to go with hightest level or lowest lvl to get the fastest lvl up ? remember my mana is like 300 I cast my armor symbol and center and half my mana is gone with fizzles and the spells. I dont want my spells fizzing when a friend needs it

Thanks again for the advice folks.

Mayhem

Sounds like you got in a good group there, and don't worry too much about fizzling, it will happen much less as your skill goes up, that's why it's good to work on your spell skills along with your melee/defensives. As far as when to heal, it's good to know how much HP/AC your tank has and that can give you an idea of when to heal (although 60% is a good starting point.)

Folks will pass along gear at times, I've had it given to me, and I've passed gear along also. Begging for gear/plat though is not cool, and is frowned on.

As far as the shaman, I'm guessing they felt bad about the train and wanted to make good. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of chances to show your stuff in keeping a group alive. You can melee when the opportunity is there, but your main job in group situations is healer.

Take pride in what you do. It can be frustrating at times, but also very rewarding when you see your group take down a tough mob and you know that your healing was crucial to that victory.

Tam's Stuff

heya folks !
    just wanted ya to know that The guy did give it to me I didnt beg or ask I told him I felt bad about taking it but he told me he had a lvl 60 character and that it was just stuff he was going to trow away anyway. I did see a guy in PoK going /ooc can anyone help a low level druid ? anything would be helpful. I went to Kurns and two hours and a level later Came back to pok and guys what I saw. /ooc Can anyone help a low level druid ? anything would be helpful. I was stunned that he would just be hanging out there and asking for stuff. I only made 10 pp but it was enough to get me new spells. Now I have all ( I mean ALL) of my spells up to level 19 in my inventory.
    as soon as I get into the game I summon up my food and drink and then go back to kurns. I actually decided that I was going to hide in the corner andlog out from there. it is near the zone line and hope I dont pull a mob or log into a train when I come back lol. Thinking bout it now i think I should have logged out right INFRONT of Kurns in FoB.
    went today with all my own buffs and got my defense up to 75 dogde up 80 and offense 90 ( I am a very offfensive cleric ? OMG pass the right guard) I shared some of the stuff the guy gave me with the other and then come to find out the two of them have lvl 57 characters. only me and the necro were realy low level toons. I gave him some good stuff.
    I am staying here til 20. it seems as if that is what eveyone thinks is right. but the necro and I are going to try thoses Ldon missions tonight hopefully. I am up to lvl 16 and one gold buble from 17 so I think I can get that in a hour at kurns. the necro is 22 though can we do ldons together ?
    thanks again,
    Mayhem

Sounds like you're coming along fine, M. Kurns is still a good choice, and at 16/17 you will be able to do Ldons with the 22 necro, If I remember, the level spread for Ldons is 10 (it used to be 7, but I think they changed that). As suggested earlier, the North Ro Ldons would be a good one to focus on, since you can earn points toward 'Blessing of Temperance' spell (a group buff).

As far as beggars, I don't give them any plat or equipment, and usually just ignore them. If they just need buffs, I have no problem with that (If they ask nicely). But if they're asking for plat or gear, forget it.

Tam's Stuff

******************** I DID my first Rezz ***************************

Woot !!!!!

I know it might not seem like much but I have managed to keep myself alive since lvl 5 in the tut so I didnt need a rez from myself but I was logging yesterday after going to lvl 18 and ran back to the kurns after making 20 PP I came back and there was a group there lvl 10 dru 11 clr and 11 necro I when I left ( they kept gving me invites and invites but the clr was doing well and was meleing and I didnt know if a Lvl 18 could group with a lvl 10 ) when I came back so that i could log out I thought I would check on em. well froggy went a courtin and became a corpsen. clr was meling here but off. druid was casting dont know what. I threw my hight heals and buffs on clr but she had temp on so I mele'd it down a bit and backed off so she could get the kill (after asking "need help ?" finished the skellies. I did a /mourned the frog and asked if he wanted a 10 % rez. after clr explained to froggy what a rez was he took it.
    is there anyway to see if someone does want the rez ? I mean would it say failed to take hold or something ? rezzed him and then buffed em and went outside to log out. lol This might not seem like much to you guys but this was my first (froggy name is fenu) and I am pretty happy with myself hehe

Mayhem
    p.s. no Ldons yet they all went PLing again

Welcome, glad to hear your enjoying the clerical life...

To save on hotkey space, I've always linked my bash key with yaulp. If your yaulping, your probably hitting something

First thing you need is to set up a bash hotkey in the combat abilities page if it's available and you haven't set it up yet. Ctrl+C to bring it up. (To incorporate those into a custom hotkey for any of those abilities, the command is "/doa #" where the # is the location of the ability in that window. Set up bash in one of those 4 available spots and remember where it is... Those bottom 4 spots have coresponding /doa numbers are tagged by numbers 7-0 from top right to bottom left (going horizontal then down).
    (the hotkeys in the 'abilities' page are numbered 1-6 btw)

So if 'bash' was set up in the first available slot in the 'Combat Abilities window', a hotkey that would bash and yaulp would be set up like this... (also, i'm going to pretend that yaulp is in spell gem slot 8 )

Line 1:/doa 7
    Line 2:/cast 8

It's a small thing, but being able to yaulp and bash off the same key saves room for other valuable hotkey real-estate and is a must for any combat or solo cleric.

Also, I don't know what the dmg/delay is on your weapon, but compare it to the sommoned ones you get (lvl 7 one is pretty lame, but it's a bit better for lvl 20, 40 is even better and the really start to rock at 50) Remember that all your summoned hammers will have bonus damage vs undead. (lvl 7 one is +3 Bane to undead). If you find yourself fighting undead lots, it might be worthwile to switch out to a summoned hammer, if the dmg+bane/delay turns it into something better than what your running.

Well, good luck and happy hunting!

Cleric of "Grave Wisdom" - The Rathe

I thought we didn't get bash until lvl 25?
    Binkin Anklebane, Exemplar of Bristlebane
    click epic + CH + Virt = less mana than keeping you alive

Have not been around for a few days, but welcome to the Cleric World. From what I have read, you are grasping the first basics of the Cleric life. We can do solo combat pretty easily until the low 30s or high 20s; then we really need a group to help with the mobs. The nice thing about being a cleric is...us being clerics. Healers are an intrigual part of any group and clerics are the best at it (although Druids and Shammies have been given a big increase in their heals).

Keep the melee skills up for they will help you later in your career. We will not be the "BIG" damage dealers we were at low levels, but all damage that we do is that much more done to the Mobs.

One possible thing that I did not see mentioned is Spell Sets. Start by memorizing all your buffs and then right click the book icon and choose Save. Name it buffs. Then do the same for your other sets. Important to keep Divine Aura (DA) memorized in each spell set in the same spot for it has a 10 minute refresh timer so if you remove it, it will take 10 minutes until you can use it.

For getting through the 20s, try PC just off of Shadowhaven. The camps are good and give fair money for loot.

That is all I can think of at the moment.
    Last edited by Daineden; 08-15-2006 at 02:52 PM.

thanks
    I did notice that and I made two groups now one is buffs that has all of my buffs and the other is hunt but I have the divine aura in the same spell slot in both because If I am switching spells and get trained or something I want to be able to hit that and then run like hell lol.
    I did get a shield and I couldnt find out why I couldnt make a bash key like everyone told me to. well It IS set at 25. I cant learn bash til 25 I went to the cleric gm in POK and saw that
    another thing I dinged 20 last night and I went and got my beginers magic manual woot
    I am at the top of Kurns because I went to unrest and I cant get a single pull from the building. I always get three and its hard to fight three dark blues at once. just ebout everything outside is green to me but its still hard to fight something when your getting bashed by numberous mobs. I have tried using calm and it just seems to not work. I guess no one on fenin ro likes unrest everyone want to go to PC :
    Thank you all again for the great advice again and the warm welcome.

mayhem
    BTW lvl 20 offense and defense 100 dodge 75 ( I cant dodge lol )
    Last edited by Rnmayhem; 08-16-2006 at 01:00 PM.