Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-boxing on one computer

Default 2-boxing on one computer

Hi guys. I have a secondary account that i acquired from a friend of mine that has been in limbo for quite some time. I currently run an out of date comp that I am pretty sure cannot run two instances. Can anyone give me minimum specs for 2-boxing on the same computer. I want to do it semi-effectively. Any advice or specs would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi there! Names Kirryinia. I don't care whether you love me or hate me, but never forget I am the one that keeps your @$$ alive!

Kirryinia Luvintouch~~Temporarily Retired
    Future Vicar of Tunare
    42nd Season and Now a Temperance Giver

Default Re: 2-boxing on one computer

i don't know specific specs, but i do know some tips that will help.

get wineq: http://www.lavishsoft.com/wineq2/

it has built in eqplaynice. eqplaynice makes the instance that is minimised, or not on top, use less resources. i run it even when doing just one instamce, can skip the patcher with it too ;-P

you can also turn off the new modles, lower your clip plane, turn off all of the shaders, turn all effects off as well, spell particles and suck. /showname 1 helps when around others. /hidecorpse

many diferent things you can do to reduce lag and help run two on one.

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

Sprinting over the fields, swinging a mighty hammer, cometh Keyera! And she gives a bloodthirsty roar:

"I'm going to bludgeon you into the stuff of nightmares!"

check this F.A.Q. from wineq web site, i didn't read it all, but looked like it was going to list the recomendations for 2 boxing on one cpu.

http://www.lavishsoft.com/wineq2/faq.php#3.2

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

Sprinting over the fields, swinging a mighty hammer, cometh Keyera! And she gives a bloodthirsty roar:

With the new way Sony has their windowed version of EQ, WINEQ really isn't needed anymore. You can now move your mouse out of the EQ Window without doing ALT+SHIFT+R (I think that's what it was).

Currently I just keep both in EQ Window Mode (ALT + ENTER to get out of full screen) and ALT + TAB to get to the second window if I have two accounts running on one machine.

I am a firm believer in not adding software that is not needed. Back when EQ was not friendly to windowed mode, WINEQ was necessary, but it is really no longer necessary with the new way they have things going.

As far as system requirement. Before I upgraded to my new comp, I was running a P3 600MHZ chip, with an ATI Video Card with 128 MB VC RAM, 756 MB System RAM, and a 72K speed Hard Drive. Nothing spectacular mind you, but I was able to efficiently run two accounts with only a few of the newer character models turned off. The most important thing is your System RAM and VC RAM.

I would say that if you wanted to run all new character models on a computer with EQ'S current video demands, you should have at least 1 Gig of System RAM, and a VC RAM with 256 MB, with at least 1 GHZ processor chip (Pentium is what I am referring to. I don't deal with AMD). A 10K speed Hard Drive would also be nice, but that will only come into play when you are loading going from zone to zone. Might still be beneificial, since when two boxing on one computer, both usually zone at the same time, and a 10K Hard Drive would cut down on the time it takes to load both chars up.

That's all I can think of for now... Maybe you can post your computer specs on this thread, which would give us a better idea of what you need to get the two box up and running with minimal lag.

heh saroc, you forget about eqplaynice? that is the whole point about wineq ;-P

but yeah, i agree win eq isn't "needed" for the two boxing if you have a good system. however, eqplaynice, and also diferent profiles that will load with logins already in (station name) so if you have access to a bajillion accounts like i do....you creat a profile for it and then just need the password, as the station name is saved.

ALSO as those that 2-3 box know, the patch sux ;-P. you get two 3 secions going, the patcher takes longer and longer....SO, with wineq you skip patcher, only run it once after a patch ;-P

so as the OP is trying to do, run two accounts at once on a low system, wineq is a must.

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

my current system doesnt meet your requirements. I am running 1.3ghz processor(intel), 384 MB system ram, 256 video ram. I am looking at catching a barebone kit from tigerdirect.com(Micro-ATX motherboard {PM8M-V Socket 478} , Intel Celeron D 345 3.06GHz processor, 512MB-400MHz PC3200-DDR-ram)$199.99 minus $50 rebate=$149.00 i think thats a D@mN good deal. I think if i add another 512 to this i can run two instances better than i am currently running one.
    Hi there! Names Kirryinia. I don't care whether you love me or hate me, but never forget I am the one that keeps your @$$ alive!

Future Vicar of Tunare

I'm running an 1800+ Athlon, 1GB ram, and a 256 (GeForce FX5900) vid card.

I run 2 instances, usually without eqplaynice since it plays havoc with my other activities when I'm playing (music, 2-5 firefox windows with several open tabs on each, trillian, etc). It's far from flawless, but it's servicable, and my zone times aren't bad unless I try to send both into PoK at the same time.

Earlier in the year I was running 512mb ram, still worked fine with 2 instances, but slightly more prone to lag / long zone times.

If you can add more RAM to your current setup, I'd imagine that would work alright.
    EverQuest:
    Master Goggwin Shadowsmite 65th Halfling Cleric
    Apostle Zabatiz Shadowfist 70th Iksar Monk
    Both of Torvonnilous

problem with my current setup is that it is fairly out of date and i have been running EQ on the system almost nonstop for past year and a half. worried about life left in system. that is why im looking to buy the barebone kit. Optimally if i had the dough or someone wants to donate 2k to me ill buy a state of the art system 5gig ram 5 gig processor and whatever else will come out on the shelf soon. lol otherwise its spend $200 bucks twice for me a system to 2box with and my wife a system to run her BS on on. if all else failed i could run my current system with one instance and my new system with second instance. Unsure just yet about what I wanna do. I would think that there is no EASY way to 2 box.

Future Vicar of Tunare

might just want to look into building one, is far cheaper.

you already have a hard drive, vid card, monitor, keyboard, and all of that.

we recently purchased a athlon 1800+ motherboard for around 100$ a case for 100$ (included power supply).

i am assuming you have operatiing system software

then depending on how old your ram is, you can also use that.

we ended up building the system for my daughter for a great price. it made me think i will never buy a "pre built" cpu again.

she got 2/3 the cpu i did for 1/8th the cost.

her's almost 2 gihts equivilant with 512 meg ram - less than 300$

mine 3.2 gihtz with two gig ram over 2000$

so... next time i upgrade mine, i will buy the newest ram, new motherboard, maybe another power supply, and thats all.

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

hehe you missed main post there. paying 199.00 for case, MB processor, 512, power supply all in one bundle. ive got all the other stuff.(OS)

Future Vicar of Tunare

missed that ;-)

you have become better at reading (1)

and yes, another 512 and you should be golden.

i also learned something from that link about setting aside system memory as back up vid ram in the bios. i still haven't been able to get to my bios (delete doesn't do it for me for some reason) so i am going to try that, as i get low system resources when i run 3 accounts at once sometimes (hello The Devistation, damn that zone takes resources!) hopefully setting more aside from system memory will help.

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

yes additional memory set aside should help. Another thing that someone told me back in the day, and I could be wrong on this is that if you have additional Virtual memory set aside for system resources it takes away some strain on your RAM. someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Future Vicar of Tunare

System resources is RAM, not video memory for the most part. Splitting regular system memory up is the last thing you want to do

Virtual Memory is a pagefile on your harddrive, you can set it higher, but leaving it on auto is usually better - unless it crashes you when it tries to alter the size.
    EverQuest:
    Master Goggwin Shadowsmite 65th Halfling Cleric
    Apostle Zabatiz Shadowfist 70th Iksar Monk
    Both of Torvonnilous

this is what i was refering to:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________

This may seem a little overboard considering your video card may only have 32 or 64MB of RAM, but video RAM also includes AGP memory. AGP memory is part of your system RAM that is assigned by BIOS to be used by the video card for extra video RAM when necessary. The setting in BIOS should you need to increase it, is called AGP Aperture Size (our step by step guide with photos from 3 different computers may help you adjust this setting) -- be aware that raising this value can harm your system stability. Newer systems may typically have this set to 64-128MB by default. The setting may also be hidden in newer BIOS -- it took me about 30 minutes of wondering why the setting was nowhere to be found and looking through my motherboard manual to determine where to find it. In my case, I needed to hit CTRL+F1 in BIOS to show all of the "advanced" settings, and AGP Aperture Size was then available for me to set. The AGP memory is not used until the RAM on the video card is running low.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

i was mistaken when i said system memory, i ment ram. i only run the problem of low ram (vid ram) when i run 3 at once. my card is only 128, so if i could set aside another 256 of my other ram, i am thinking 3 would run great. the warrning i get says something like low video ram flashing and says 8meg left or something. i have never crashed, i just get that warning. it fluctuates between 8 and 16 meg ram or something when it comes up.

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

Tiger Direct is the Debil! Never ever ever ever trust that you will see a rebate from them. Ever...
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Pomaikai Po`okela
    70 Exarch

Capitalization is the difference between
    "Helping your uncle Jack off a horse"
    and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"

Sig courtesy of Hijinx Studios