Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2-boxing on one computer

Default Re: 2-boxing on one computer

I've never seen that message you mention, Keyera, what card / utility set do you use? I thought you meant the 'low on virtual memory, system may cease to respond for a moment while Windows increases the thingy' (or whatever it is)

I used to run a pair of accounts on a 32mb card (GF2)... so far as I've been able to tell, it's pretty much only the system memory that has any visible effect on EQ.
    EverQuest:
    Master Goggwin Shadowsmite 65th Halfling Cleric
    Apostle Zabatiz Shadowfist 70th Iksar Monk
    Both of Torvonnilous

lol not too concerned with the rebate thing. That is only wishful thinking. I still think that $200 for a system that good is a pretty darn good deal. opinions?
    Hi there! Names Kirryinia. I don't care whether you love me or hate me, but never forget I am the one that keeps your @$$ alive!

Kirryinia Luvintouch~~Temporarily Retired
    Future Vicar of Tunare
    42nd Season and Now a Temperance Giver

You mentioned that you wanted to have a machine for the wife to do her stuff on as well.

Do you need 2 working rigs or can you frankenstein one together that she can use when you aren't saving Norrath?

I ask because the "addons" you need to have 2 working systems are what eat you up. Monitor, mouse, keyboard, all that stuff adds up quick.

If you ultimately only need one box, you have 2 options since you already have a nice video card, hard drive, rom drive, etc.

1) Snag the barebone system from either Tiger (I use www.geeks.com as well) and just create a new monster. Having mentioned that you are worried your current rig may "die", the only real hardware that could crap out on you are the hard drive or your power supply for the most part. Generally don't see cards, memory, etc. give up.

2) Just get a MB, CPU, and RAM and use the rest of your existing hardware. There are plenty of sites out there (Ebay included) that you can snatch up new parts for really cheap that can handle 2 instances of EQ. Odds are, if you shop around a bit, you can get those 3 things for less than 150 bucks if all you want is a box that can handle 2 EQ instances.

If you actually need 2 working rigs, one for you and one for the wife, as much as I hate to wish Dell upon anyone, they are hands down the best deal. The only downside is if your current video card is AGP, since no low end Dells have AGP slots. The upside to Dell is you get everything you need for around 300 bucks, monitor, keyboard, all that included.

The only catch to ordering a Dell is to do one important thing as soon as you get it. It's called firing the Windows CD in and reinstalling the machine to get rid of all the "viruses" Dell installs on their machines from the factory. All that crap preinstalled is the reason you can get a decent box for 300 bucks. Those companies pay to have their warez installed on each system Dell sells.

Having done IT engineering forever, making cheap client boxes is part of the everyday gig for me, so I've had to build production machines for little $$ a few times. {rolleyes}

I'd suggest exploring every possibility based on your needs if money is an issue. There are lots of factors to consider, especially if you need 2 running setups in the end.

If you only need one box, you have multiple avenues you can take, just do a lot of searching, the deals are out there for those that look hard enough. Never rule out Ebay btw, there are loads of vendors who sell new hardware for dirt cheap prices if you look. I built a box for a relative to just surf and do email with for around 75 bucks recently. Didn't include monitor and such, but it runs like a champ for what they needed.
    Later,
    Selinya

Generally don't see cards, memory, etc. give up.
    Then again, I've had, 1 mainboard, 1 PSU, 1 NIC, 2 sound cards and a graphics card die on me in the last 2 years. Not lost a drive yet *knocks on wood*, but it seems fairly even odds on what dies and what doesn't

Also lost a laptop inverter board, but I think that was something to do with the cat sitting on it and having it overheat.
    EverQuest:
    Master Goggwin Shadowsmite 65th Halfling Cleric
    Apostle Zabatiz Shadowfist 70th Iksar Monk
    Both of Torvonnilous

i so agree witht he getting rid of factory installed software. damn that crap sucks.

when we built my daughters cpu, we purchased a "clean" copy of XP. OMG i frigin LOVE that disc. it is just windows, thats it. period. i had to go get all the drivers for my cpu, but was worth it. there is NOTHING running that i don't know about. use that software witht he code from mine works great. the bonus was it came with service pack II already on it ;-). so i can get online after a fresh instal safe even.

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

Sprinting over the fields, swinging a mighty hammer, cometh Keyera! And she gives a bloodthirsty roar:

"I'm going to bludgeon you into the stuff of nightmares!"

Hey key, wanna swing that disc by here? I have tons of crap I don't know what the hell it is on my computer, and I am terrified to delete any of it or screw with the bios...why?

Last year I was trying to help my friend clean up her computer, deleted some useless program she never used for CD burning or something that was factory installed, and it crashed the computer...

I've been meaning to look into ways to clean stuff up, but I've just had my hands full lately :/
    Lady Raynelyn
    70 Cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

send paladar to my work or something, i gladly let ya borow it ;-) - still have my number or need it?

it is a frikin life saver. however. first thing you need to do before you use it is goto the web sites of EVERYTHING on your cpu, motherboard, sound card, vid card and burn the drivers to CD. then you use the disc, then pop in your driver CD and load all the drivers, then your golden.

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

Sprinting over the fields, swinging a mighty hammer, cometh Keyera! And she gives a bloodthirsty roar:

"I'm going to bludgeon you into the stuff of nightmares!"

I go to pricegrabber.com for all my computer shopping supplies. It has sections that rate not only the equipment that you are buying, but the vendors themselves. It also gives you a nice list of the vendors that are selling the item, the price they are selling it for, etc...

I usually go with Geeks or NewEgg to get my stuff. They are usually on the low end of the price range, and their ratings are pretty nice. I myself have never had a problem with Geeks or NewEgg.

Alright, I'm confused, just send me a tell...lol
    Lady Raynelyn
    70 Cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

Don't forget www.outpost.com and www.zipzoomfly.com for outstanding deals.

I'd also point you in the direction of www.fatwallet.com and www.slickdeals.net for places to find the BEST deals on, well... anything! Hang out in the various forums and find all the crazy deals and outrageous coupon deals you've never heard of!

For instance... As of now if you have DirecTV and want 6-Months of Showtime for FREE you can PM me and I'll give you a coupon code, a phone number, and exactly what you should say to the person you speak to...

EDIT:
    Fixed a URL.
    Last edited by Pomaikai; 06-08-2006 at 01:08 PM.
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    Pomaikai Po`okela
    70 Exarch

Capitalization is the difference between
    "Helping your uncle Jack off a horse"
    and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"

Sig courtesy of Hijinx Studios

/bonk Pom

SlickDeals.net

Bah! It was early in the morning and I was rushed... LOL
    Pomaikai Po`okela
    70 Exarch

Remember that if you are going to reinstall Windows, that you have your product key before you do it. Also, XP Home keys don't work with XP Pro and vice versa.

If you don't have your original product key, there's a program out there called Keyfinder that will suck it out of your registry so you have it. Ol' Bill has been upping his sneaky ways of catching Windows pirates and sharing of product keys, they just pushed a new authentication patch recently as well.

/Looks over shoulder for Microsoft Police
    Later,
    Selinya

I'm waiting on my Beta copy of Vista to arrive any day now...
    Pomaikai Po`okela
    70 Exarch

Vista = the debil.

I have it running on a production box now. It's not the new Beta that's shipping to Technet owners this month, but it's last months version. It's stable, but of course driver support is in the crapper for vid cards and sound.

After using 3 different betas over the last few months, I have to say that I hate it. It's a resource hog for the most part, which really irks me since OS's are supposed to free up resources for apps, not consume them.

It's also hands down the most anal retentive OS ever. I understand that the vast amount of hacking, viruses, etc, has become a huge problem. I understand that most people aren't savvy enough to completely lock down their systems to avoid attacks. What I don't understand is why I can't "turn off" the remedial mode that Vista is in. You can't do anything without 2 or more confirmation boxes popping up.

Are you sure you want to do this? Click yes. No, are you REALLY sure you want to do this? YES! Ok, one last chance to click no, are you REALLY REALLY sure..

It's painful almost. I see why it's been delayed over and over, it needs a LOT of work. Think that's why I never suggest an OS upgrade to clients until the second service pack launches. I hate to think of all the emails and phone calls I will get if any clients upgrade to this monstrosity out of the gate.

If you want to play with it.. do it. For the love of God, don't overwrite your XP install with it, unless you just want to get email, surf the web, and erm.. play solitaire. That's about all it supports atm.
    Later,
    Selinya