Thread: Is the game bugged on loading ui's?

Default Is the game bugged on loading ui's?

My hard drive crashed last weekend and I had to redownload and reset stuff. (Bad dwarf I was, the last time I backed up anything we might have had another president in office

Anyway, I got everything reinstalled ... except I'm having a problem with my UI.

I normally use the regular default UI windows etc. But I do swap out both the group window (to the F2-F6 one with the color changing bards) and the player stat window (to the one that's the same size basically but shows the raw numbers for hp and mana).

Here's where the problem comes in. I had started working on the UI, and got all my chat boxes set back up etc. Then made a folder and put in the 2 group window files into it and I went to the options menu to load up that folder. It DID load and for the next 20 min or so that window stayed. But then the next time I did the load (because I added the player stat window in there), it not only did not add the player stat window but it also took away the revised group window and gave me back the default group window.

Now, on a different hard drive, I had saved copies of the files for both the group window and the player stat window that I used prior to the crash and it is those exact ones I used this time, but they wouldn't work this time.

My husband who knows a bit about this stuff hasn't been able to figure out why it worked then disappeared and now won't work at all.

Anyone run into something similar or be able to offer some suggestions? I'd be glad to email the default directory and/or the new folder with the files I wanted to add in case there's something in there that is not compatible - but we didn't have a patch during this time when my computer crashed. The files worked Friday night but come Saturday morning they no longer worked.

I even downloaded them again from EQinterface in case my originals were corrupt but that wasn't it either.

Stumped and eye strained cleric looking for salvation!

Crystilla
    EQ Round Table Member
    Devoted Brell serving wench
    Valorguard / Erollisi Marr server

Default Re: Is the game bugged on loading ui's?

I play 3 accounts, and recently wanted to play a different account than I usually do on my main box.

When I went to the UI's default player setup, renamed it accordingly, and tried to load the UI, it loaded up the screen alignment, but kept the default UI instead of loading the new one.

I fought with this thing for a couple hours and pretty much had all but given up. Then I remembered that the UI is actually 2 files, one for the window positions and alignments, and another one for all the hotbutton information.

I just copied the player_server.ini file from my main toon and renamed it appropriately, loaded back in.. voila.. worked.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the loader lately, but it very well may be bugged. Try going to your EQ folder and deleting the file named player_server.ini and starting over. Make sure you have all the UI mods that you want to load in the directory you made before you load from it, then do your alignments after you load them. Can try "Keep your layout", but moving the windows is easy, getting them to register in EQ is the hard part lately.

GL
    Later,
    Selinya

Default Re: Is the game bugged on loading ui's?

Thanks hun. Found out what it was so posting in case anyone else does the dumb thing I did. 2+ years of piecing my own ui's together by trial/error and I learned this.

Took a friend telling me to take another look at the uierrors.log that gets created (even though why he sent me to look at it had nothing to do with why it didn't work).

Rule #1 - do NOT have more than 1 word in your folder name. You have to use some type of combiner like an underscore _ between words.

I had my folder name as:

Addl mods

So why it worked the first time I have no idea, but basically it gave me the "can't find xxxx in folder \addl\

and that's finally what gave me the clue in.

Needless to say, I just changed the folder name to "addl" and it fixed itself. I got my nice group window so folks stop dying rofl.

Crystilla
    EQ Round Table Member
    Devoted Brell serving wench
    Valorguard / Erollisi Marr server