Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer specs ok for EQ?

Default Computer specs ok for EQ?

Ok, i'm thinking about returning to EQ and dinking around with alts or something in a couple weeks. This will be after I get my first paycheck from my new job which I start Sunday if things go well. *nervous*

I don't plan on raiding with this computer again, maybe just exp groups with my old mains or playing alts.
    Anyways I know my computer is god-awfully old and rather embarrassing, but it serves it's purpose because I mainly just surf the web or play older games like Half-Life mods (not source) and a few older single player games. The most graphically intense game I have on my computer is Morrowind, however the FPS on it is pretty low. Not sure, but maybe around the 20-30 range depending on the area.

Here are the specs:
    AMD Athlon 1600 (1.4 GHZ) 266 FSB
    DFI AD-70SC KT266 ATX MotherBoard
    PC2100 512 DDRAM
    MSI GeForce 2 MX-400 64 MB 4xAGP (*cringe* I know :/)
    Dx9.0B
    Win98-- I know I know
    I'm in the process of backing up all my stuff and switching to WinXP in a few days.

I researched a bit and my MB won't support an 8x Video Card, so upgrading that is probably out of the question and not worth the money at all. I have all the expansions up to GoD, but I don't have OOW, DoN, or DoDH.

I could play fine *until* OOW was coming out and they patched it with that Dx9. After that the game became totally unplayable. EQ and other applications would randomly crash everytime I played, sometimes within a minute of playing, sometimes a couple hours. I couldn't surf the web without it crashing. Turns out it was my CPU and had to replace it, it's been fine ever since.

Would this system crash again if I tried playing on it? Or should I just wait another couple months until I get a new computer?
    I'm your friendly Cleric with 2 swords and heal potions =D

Default Re: Computer specs ok for EQ?

You should be fine, the specs I play with are less then that except the video card.

Everything else there is better then mine(Running XP over 98 though)

Shouldn't have any problems at all, may nee to turn down some of the eye candy, but should be alright.

-Kimo
    68 High Elven Cleric
    < Guardian Fellowship >

The MX series video cards aren't support by EQ anymore at all. You can probably find a GeForce 4600 Ti for around $50 that will play EQ well enough (just run only a handfull of luclin models and turn spell effects to low). The rest of your computer is fine as is.
    Kazpin Cleric [lvl: 75] [AA: 256] [GLAA: 29]
    Endiment Warrior [lvl: 75] [AA: 59]
    Kazn Enchanter [lvl: 59] [AA: 0]
    Shuugo Rogue [lvl: 75] [AA: 62] [Make Posion: 300 +12%]

As mentioned your PC should be fine, the only thing that could cause an issue is Video Card but I have been using unsupported video cards for quite some time with no problems.
    Mistress Quenthel Arman'Daethre
    Fire Knives Guild Leader
    57 Dark Elf Templar of Innorruk
    Bertoxxulous (Thoxule Paells)
    View my Magelo profile here!

I play on my d600 laptop has a 32 meg vid card and 1g of ram and i lag a little in pok but otherwse it runs great
    Menorez Forfree (Me No Rez For Free)
    62 Cleric of Fennin Ro
    No you can't have my gear

Yeah, bad video ram causes a lot of lag based on zone activity. Otherwise there shouldn't be much of a problem =)
    Fire Knives Guild Leader

Yup i run with almost everything on sept i do particle effects for me only with lots of casting it can get hard to see with them on imo but the lag isent horable with 32 meg cable helps lots
    Menorez Forfree (Me No Rez For Free)
    62 Cleric of Fennin Ro
    No you can't have my gear

I have a 64 MB Radeon 7000 and it runs fine. My laptop has a 64 MB Radeon 9600 and it runs better LOL. They're both runnnig 512 MB DDR 3200 RAM and I have very few lag issues now even though my Laptop is running wirelessly through an AP.

It's good when computer systems work the way they should LOL.
    Fire Knives Guild Leader

just got WinXP up and running. One of my friend's gave me his old ATI Radeon 7500 64MB RAM (think DDR), it's definitely a nice upgrade to that other PoS card. I probably get an average of 20 more fps now on Team Fortress and CS WOOHOO! Can't wait til I can try EQ, maybe in another week

I also can't wait until I can afford a near top of the line system!
    Last edited by Qumdiyen; 12-11-2005 at 09:00 PM.

on AGP cards, if you have an 8x card, and a 4x board, the card will still work, but at the lower speed, you still get the benefit of any extra memory and such on the card.

Other than that, I run EQ on my spare PC and it's a 1ghz duron with the resst of it's specs like yours
    EverQuest:
    Master Goggwin Shadowsmite 65th Halfling Cleric
    Apostle Zabatiz Shadowfist 70th Iksar Monk
    Both of Torvonnilous

sadly I tried I think a geforce 5200 ultra I think on my board, but it didn't work ehehe. It's only 2/4x board not a 4/8x like the 5200

Qumdiyen said in post #9 :
    probably get an average of 20 more fps now on Team Fortress and CS WOOHOO!
    wru TFC2? It's only been like seven years since the originally planned release date! It better be incredibly delicious..
    PTFO

I am running a decent system but still have tons of lag, DoD is almost a no for me unless I reboot EQ every hour or so to drop the lag. I am running 2.8 P4 with 1024 ram......unfortunantly no AGP slots. So I have a 64 PCI GForce 5200 FX.............anyone have any lag reducing ideas.....I have done most of the ones in game. Far clip and Gamma down as much as I can handle and still see the screen, spell effects and names off and fps as low as possible. Any other ideas?

AumdyderEQ said in post #13 :
    I am running a decent system but still have tons of lag, DoD is almost a no for me unless I reboot EQ every hour or so to drop the lag. I am running 2.8 P4 with 1024 ram......unfortunantly no AGP slots. So I have a 64 PCI GForce 5200 FX.............anyone have any lag reducing ideas.....I have done most of the ones in game. Far clip and Gamma down as much as I can handle and still see the screen, spell effects and names off and fps as low as possible. Any other ideas?
    EQPlaynice?
    640x480 16bit resolution?

unsure of how much an AGP mobo runs nowadays, but I'd imagine you could get a compatible mobo for your CPU and a geforce 3, 4, 5 for under $100.

EDIT\\ Here, try some of the .ini edits mentioned here http://forums.ugo.com/archive/index.php/t-22261.html
    Last edited by Fyrril; 01-03-2006 at 04:54 PM.
    PTFO

options/advanced/turn off all shaders

worked wonders for me in DoD

i have a 3.2 gihzt cpu, 2 gig ram. DoD was terrible for me as well as RSS, i turned off the shaders and all was well. i think i might be lacking in the vid card area, got some radeaon that came with the cpu, have yet to invest on a better one. is funny, i can run 3 accounts at once in almost any zone, yet i goto RSS or DoD and i get "slow mouse" turning off shaders fixed that.

Keyera
    105 cleric
    Undivided Faith
    Drinal

Sprinting over the fields, swinging a mighty hammer, cometh Keyera! And she gives a bloodthirsty roar:

"I'm going to bludgeon you into the stuff of nightmares!"