Thread: Novel help

Default Novel help

Ok, I am a begginer novelist (writing my first one as I speak) and I was wondering if any experienced writers had any tips. For example; best way to imrpove the whole story, best way get it published, which publishers to go to as a first time writer, anything along those lines that'll help. I know this isn't exactly EQ storyesque, but I thought it fit.

Thank you for your time, it's greatly appreciated

Lender Adverto
    ~Starting fresh~

*I am nobody*
    >Nobody is perfect<
    Therefore....
    -I am perfect-

Default Re: Novel help

Ahh... best advice I can offer is get a book by Stephen King On Writing. It is not a novel it is an actual book about writing. I am not much in to reading non-fiction but this one was really good.

/smile

What I found works when I am writing a short story is once you get an idea, DONT STOP!!!!
    Don't worry about spelling errors, grammatical errors, how the story is reading or anything at all. Get your idea on paper and then edit later.

Of course this can backfire because I have absolutly hated what was written and threw it out, but it works for the most part.

Aum is right. Dont stop - keep a note pad by your bed and if you wake up in the middle of the night with an idea or thought about the story write it down. It will all fit to gether.

AS far as publishing goes. Dont get discouraged. If one company says no hem move on. Also dont let them ignore you. Basically bug them until you get an answer. Either a yes or no stop bugging us.

Good luck.

I carry a note pad in my purse for those moments I have a thought and it hits me. I also keep a drawing pad around for the same reasons. No I don't travel light.

As it was said to me write a rough draft first as Aum said don't let anyone read it. Then rewrite it let a select group read it, they will find things you forgot, then move on to fixing those problems and have an editor read it. Yes, there are many steps and no piece is ever finished as far as the writer/artist is concerned.

Thanks all for your help I'm really excited about this novel, and the few who have read it say they can't put it down (sorry, I know, bragging, but I'm just so happy) I feel like i'm finally gonna make an impact on the world.
    /reminds himself to stop listening to inspirational music
    {rolleyes}
    hehe, thanks again

Lender Adverto
    ~Starting fresh~

*I am nobody*
    >Nobody is perfect<
    Therefore....
    -I am perfect-